• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is RoboHelp 2015 compatible with RoboHelp 11?

Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Member  in our work group use RH 11.  If a new member order RH 15, can all members work on the same files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Pretty much a one way street here. The moment anyone with a newer version touches a project, everyone else will need the same newer version to work on it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Captiv8r,  Is this the "official" Adobe response too or based on useage?  Just that we are about to upgrade to latest version of Technical Communication Suite as we had RH10 and our translation agency has RH11 - they were not compatible.  So I clearly don't want to then leapfrog them and end up in the same position. Really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which latest TCS version? The one with RH2015 & FM2015 in it? If so, then yes, you would be in the same position – once the project is opened by RH2015, it upgrades it and you can’t open it again with a lower version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, yes it is the one 2015.  So, sounds like this is going to be a real problem.  Thanks for the reply.  Maybe I can log this as a feature requirement as it is really limiting and would cause me to look elsewhere

for a software tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it’s always behaved that way – there’s never been any sort of Save As functionality in RH’s projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellows,

I wonder if it's possible to "downgrade" the project to one of the previous RH versions using Extendscript. This is possible in FrameMaker, for example.

Kind regards,

Roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It might be possible to accomplish it. You would need someone "extendscript savvy" like Willam van Weelden‌ to tell you how it may be done. Or he may even offer up a script you could purchase that would do exactly that! Check out his site at the link below.

Click here to visit Willam's site.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

In general, I agree with you. In this specific case, though, I think Adobe should have provided a sample script showing how to do that.

Best regards,

Roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I'm sure Adobe would disagree. The fact they supply sample scripts is likely evidence that they aren't hiding you can script things. But how would they be able to conceive every permutation of what users would want? Besides, they are here to sell you RoboHelp. What financial incentive would entice them to supply a script that would downgrade a project?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Framemaker, they have created sample scripts that are much more complex than the SaveAs operation. I can't say those scripts were working perfectly, but at least they showed the APIs required to get the ball rolling.

IMHO, Robohelp should be no different.

Best regards,

Roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, this seems to be purely a method for creating money rather than supporting users.  We work with external suppliers for translation and therefore have to pass files about.  This, in general is not a problem in FM - just using the save as function (as long a new features are not required specifically). However, the moment we get out pf synch with them with RH, we are stuffed unless one of us then buys another version.  Present example being we had RH10 as part of TCS4, but they have RH11 - so we update TCS, but that includes RH2015!

It is really putting me off RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO your translation company should maintain multiple versions of RH/FM for different clients. Just saying…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree and have discussed with them - I believe that they do.  But doesn't really solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't need ExtendScript to downgrade. You can do it manually, but there are a few unsupported options. See https://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/downgrade-robohelp-project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rh 2015 is logically Rh12. You might have a while to wait for Rh15.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL – should we start calling it RH’15 ? ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp