Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

liveupdate.upgrade-pro.org: Malware install

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Safari 8.08 running on Yosemite 10.10.5

started getting notices from liveupdate.upgrade-pro.org that Flash was out of date.

That trace routes to europe:

18  62-210-93-163.rev.poneytelecom.eu (62.210.93.163)  351.661 ms  371.931 ms  235.220 ms

A couple of dialogue boxes will come up that result in you downloading a .dmg file that looks like it may have come from Adobe.

adobe_flashplayer_e2c7b_Setup.dmg.  Since this happens multiple times you may end up with several of these files.

(I ended up with 10 or more)

But if you mount it, the "install" button is junk.

I went to the adobe site and updated Flash from there.  This did not stop the pop-ups.

I had to clear my Safari history for the last day  And

From the Flash Preferences panel, I deleted all local storage settings and under the Advanced Tab I deleted all browsing and data settings.

I also unchecked the "open safe files" option in Safari Preferences

This did not fix the problem.  While on wunderground.com a new dialogue box has shown up.

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 8.28.17 AM.png

Anyone have a clue how to stop it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Flash Player according to these instructions.  And rebooted the computer.

The message from update-pro.org is not showing up at this point. 

Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS

FWIW: The message would show up when looking at these pages:

Hurricane Ignacio: Tracking Map | Weather Underground

Hurricane Jimena: Tracking Map | Weather Underground

So far, I haven't missed Flash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with flash removed, when I go to the wunderground web pages the dialogues warning of Flash being out of date.

I set up a second MacBook with the same OSx and Safari.  It is not having the problem with the false flash update windows.

However my original MacBook is still will see the update dialogs and, so far, only on the wunderground pages.  I've been to other sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now 12 hours later.  My computer was off for that period and I am now in Fiji.

The malware dialogue I was getting no longer shows up.

Consider that the two sites I was getting the error message from appear to be CDNs (content delivery networks) I am hypothesizing that someone hacked those sites rather than any particular malware being installed on my computer.  Call me "Herman Cain" I have no evidence to back this up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI KauaiZ,

Flash Player is not delivered from liveupdate.upgrade-pro.org and the file name you posted is also not a valid Flash Player installer (the screenshot is also not a screenshot of a valid installer, although it's very, very close).  If you have the entire URL for this site, please message it to me and I will forward it to our fraud department to follow-up on.  Adobe does actively go after malicious sites who distribute fake/malicious installers.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://liveupdate.upgrade-pro.org/?tract=8seuWbUMRbCAn2uKSWwJD97VdDp_m0fj7pmXoZk7sfo.&cid=P23P440904...

This is one of them.  There are others.  Be careful, it will take over your web browser.

You will have to quit your browser and disconnect from the internet to get it to stop showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, KauaiZ.  I will forward this to our fraud department.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi KauaiZ,

The site has been taken down.  If you get other URLs please send me a message and I'll forward them to the fraud department.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines