• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Context Sensitive Help Mapping (Page level help)

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2008 Feb 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to find out how to map my page level help so that the entire help loads as a part of the context sensitive page level mapping. For example, if the user is on PAGE 1 and clicks help. PAGE 1 help appears as part of the entire help rather than just having PAGE 1 help appear on its own.

Current help mapping: About_Customers
What I would like: whskin_homepage.htm#About_Customers

Is this correct to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2008 Feb 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ADP Tech Writer -

You are calling the wrong file. You are calling a TOPIC page instead of the START PAGE.

The Start Page is NOT the same as nor should it be named the same as the default TOPIC. These are separate files and do different things.

The START PAGE doesn't have any project "content" - it is the page that defines the layout of your project (the panes).

Your TOPIC pages (such as Page 1 Help) are displayed IN the START PAGE as the topic content (right pane).

So, you need to launch the START PAGE file, not the page topic file. You name your start page in File>Generate Primary Layout, the first window, Select Output Folder and Start Page text box. I leave the path "as-is" and only change the name of the htm file at the end - this is your START PAGE. We name ours "index.htm" (witohut "").

You DO NOT see or edit the START PAGE in RoboHelp. The generated output file is dynamicly created when you generate your project.

If you name your START PAGE index.htm, you call your generated project by launching the index.htm file - your help comes up and displays the navigation pane, default topic, etc. per your layout preferences. You call you START PAGE and append the TOPIC page to the call and that context sensitive topic will open in the right pane of the full help window.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the information. Your last sentence where you say You call you START PAGE and append the TOPIC page to the call and that context sensitive topic will open in the right pane of the full help window. makes alot of sense, except I dont know how to do it.

What exactly would I type in the Topic id field to make it open the entire help file, with the specific topic based on the screen the person is displays in the content pane?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ADP Tech Writer -

I looked at your original post and I made one error in my reply (although it doesn't change the solution): you are calling whskin_ which is not a topic file. However, you still need to call your START PAGE and append the TOPIC name to the call.

Example...START PAGE is called index.htm and an application window called Welcome. Help page called Welcome. Launch by:

[what ever method]index.htm#Welcome.htm

Just remember the START PAGE defines the layout (frames), contains no authored content, is dynamicly generated and uses the skin files to establish the look (color, fonts, etc.) of the window.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2008 Feb 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Poster, thank you so much for your patience. Having used MadCap Flare for the past 2 years and only just coming back to RoboHelp, do you have a suggestion on what is the best method to get this to work? Is there a way to map the following in Robohelp?

[what ever method]index.htm#Welcome.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp