• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing MS Word Doc

Enthusiast ,
Oct 15, 2007 Oct 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly, I can't import a Word .doc into RoboHTML WebHelp.

The message says Word can't load SSWord.wll, which is located in the RoboHTML directory.

Using Word 2003, Win XP, SP2, RH 6.

It happened on two separate PCs, so I'm thinking our network folks did something. They've started installing MS Office 2007, but haven't done so on my PCs. Maybe the did something in the Registry?

I'm guessing I have to reinstall RH 6, and maybe Word, but I don't want to start without some advice.

Does anyone know what causes this lapse in Word?

Thanks

Harvey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me thinks you have been a naughty boy and installed the beta of RH7 on these PCs.

The reason I suggest that is that I have just tested an import for you on a PC with X5, RH6 and RH7. I get the same problem as you.

On a PC with only X5 and RH6, the import is OK.

If I am correct, I suggest you raise this on the PreRelease forum instead of here.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I uninstalled RH X5 before installing RH6. But, indeed, I installed the RH 7 beta on both. That was a long time ago, and (I can't swear) I have imported Word docs since then.

I'm going over to the prerelease forum.

Thanks.
H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Harvey, I just encountered the same problem as you. A few months back I installed RH7, which for various reason I haven't started to use. Did you ever figure out how to resolve your problem? Do I have to uninstall RH7? (If so, what do I need to do to reinstall it in a month or so when I'm really ready to start using it?)

Thanks,

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2008 Feb 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathy

In Harvey's case the problem was caused by the fact that he had installed a beta version.

What did you install, trial of full version? If it is the trial, uninstall it and try again. If it fails at that point, look under the help menu and there is an option that lets you see any disabled add-ins. Check that. If necessary uninstall and reinstall whatever full version you are running. What version is giving you the problem?

If you have the full version, did you uninstall the previous version? Did you buy a new licence or an upgrade?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathy,

Peter said it all.

It's nice to have 24/5 coverage, isn't it?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, it is great to have 24/7 coverage.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I currently have the full versions of both RH6 and RH7 on my computer. We purchased the upgrade license last fall, and I spent a few hours evaluating RH7, but decided to wait to convert my projects until after our next s/w release.
2. That is, I'm stilll using RH6, which was working great until I tried to import a very short Word document. I got the "Word can't load SSWord.wll" message that Harvey described.
3. I looked in the RH6 and RH7 help for the "disabled add-ins" link, but didn't find it. I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place.
4. I suspect that the correct solution is going to be uninstalling RH7 until I'm actually ready to start using it. I haven't had much experience doing that though. Do I just use Add/Remove Programs? And, when I'm ready to actually start using the new version, do I reinstall it by relaunching that gi-normous exe file we downloaded? Use the same serial number?

Sorry to be so dense about this. I'm under a really tight deadline, don't have many free brain cells right now...

kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try looking in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing was listed as disabled in Word 2003. Now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I overlooked that this is on my site. See Using RH7, item 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, you are awesome. I'm getting closer, but not quite there.

I had actually been to your site (see how well you've trained us?), but missed that link. Unfortunately, your solution gave me a "Specified module could not be found" error. After further investigation, I found a file named RHComAdd.dll in the directory you listed (not RHCommAdd, per your instructions). However, editing the file name in the command you provided didn't work either. I suspect there's a minor problem in how I'm specifying the path. Since I know exactly where the file is, can I somehow edit its properties to have the same effect?

Then, I promise never to open RH7 again until I'm ready to use it once and for all....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathy,

A reminder on a side issue. You said IT soon will install Office 7 on your PC. If you want to continue using RH 6, you'll have to keep Word 2003 as well as installing Word 2007.

You'll also have to uninstall/reinstall RH 7 after the MS Office upgrade.

Peter's site has details.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instruction on my site is as below, I just copied and pasted this.

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Abobe Robohelp 7\RoboHELP\RHCommAdd.dll"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to belabor the issue, but that line didn't work for me. There's no dll called RHCommAdd.dll in my program files\adobe\adobe robohelp 7\robohelp directory, though there is one called RHComAdd.dll.

I'll see if I can get some assistance from our IT guy. If not, I'll just uninstall RH7, since I won't be using it for the next few months.

Thanks again for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are comfortable working in the Windows registry, you could search and might find a key for RHComAdd.dll, or RHComm.dll, and get a hint from it.

Another hunch: Normal.dot, or one of the .dot files that RH installs, may have a spurious reference to the nonexistent file that shows up in the "unable to load" message..

Open a .dot file and look under Tools|Templates and Add-ins.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you said

RHComAdd.dll in the directory you listed (not RHCommAdd...

I thought you were saying the difference was the .dll bit. In fact the difference is single m rather than double m. Follow the instructions on my site except making it a single m.

I don't recommend doing it any other way on the basis this is what Adobe advised me and it does work, with the right spelling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2008 Feb 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally. Peter, thanks for your help. The link on your website worked like a charm, once I discovered that it contained two typos:

1) the file is called RHComAdd.dll, not RHCommAdd.dll (m, not mm)
2) the correct path is Adobe RoboHelp 7, not Abobe RoboHelp 7 (Adobe with a d, not a b!)

That fixed, and I'm back to importing Word files like a champ. Yahoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just corrected those typos. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
no, no. Not a waste. Please realize that without your help, I would have been completely up a creek without a paddle. This little forum and your expertise have bailed me out on more than one occasional. A typo or two isn't going to wreck my day (you should see my first drafts...).
Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp