Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I color text on the TOC?

Feb 01, 2008 Feb 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to color/highlight a particular entry in the TOC? The color pallate tool is greyed out when working with the TOC. ??? Thanks!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Teri

Yes, you may configure colors for the TOC, but it's an "all or nothing" type of deal. You cannot configure one specific entry. At least, not using RoboHelp as it stands. I'm sure if you were to hack the JavaScript code, you could probably make it happen. But something tells me that you probably don't really want to go that deep.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right...I don't want to delve too deeply into that stuff!

What we're trying to do is make our "how to use this #@%! thing" entry really stand out, I thought maybe color or large font size or both would do the trick. Any thoughts? The !!! in front and behind just seem kind of dull... :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Teri,

Would it hurt the TOC order to make it the first line?

Other options (which I don't like, but might work for you):

!*! Prime numbers from 1 to infinity !*!

PRIME numbers from 1 to infinity

>>Prime numbers from 1 to infinity<<

I don't know whether RH forbids symbols in the TOC.

Harvey

I see the forum handler doesn't like standard symbols.

gt means greater than (right-pointing angle bracket) and lt is the left-pointing one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey, thanks for writing! Yes, you can use symbols in the TOC but that doesn't really do what I want. And I can put it first...but again - without color or font size difference, it just kind of fades into the background - no different than anything else. Maybe this will be an enhancement in future versions.???

Take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Teri

If you want, I do believe I've documented using a different icon for a particular entry in my Skinny on Skins file. Basically, the process involves choosing the desired icon that represents external links, then tweaking the files for the one entry.

Would that work?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, can I have the URL for your tips on this? I'll look! I do have other External links in the TOC so if this affects all of them not sure I've solved the issue. Sure I can't do it for just one??? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, can I have the URL for your tips on this? I'll look! I do have other External links in the TOC so if this affects all of them not sure I've solved the issue. Sure I can't do it for just one??? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Teri

Yes, you would be changing the icon for all external links that way. I did have at one point a document that someone had tossed together that outlined the process for influencing a single entry in the TOC. Unfortunately, that was about 4 PCs ago and I'd be really super hard pressed to even begin to figure out where it is now.

So paraphrasing a question from one of my favorite movies here, the real question at hand here is to ask: Just how far down the rabbit hole do you really want to go?

Click here for my Skinny page.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not that far down! :-)

Thanks for the link. I need to just change the one...so will probably just stick with putting the title in some "interesting" way on the main menu of each volume instead of the TOC trick. Thanks again!!!!

Like I said...hopefully in 'future versions' we'll be able to play with the TOC a bit more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Teri

Please do take a moment and complete the Wish Form to ask them for an ability to specify specific icons for each TOC entry if you want. The Wish Form is at This Link.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, have done so - thanks for suggesting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 07, 2008 Feb 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick's forgotten the Using additional page images in the TOC topic in his Skinny on Skins doc. This, however, requires that you change stuff in the whthost.js output file. Once it has been changed, you need to save it somewhere outside the project and copy it back in to overwrite the newly-created file every time you generate output. Once you set this up, it's not as much work as it might seem (I have six files that I consistently do this with).

Note that this applies to page images only. (I had floated the request to forum users a month or so ago about how to make this fix for book images, but no one came forward.)

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2008 Feb 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Leon, good morning & thanks! I will look at this...though this sounds more involved then I probably want to get for just an icon...which is not going to be large to begin with. It would be so much simpler if I could just edit the text with color & font size!!! :-)

Thanks again...appreaciate your detailed help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp