• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 7 Will Not Install

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to install a new out of the box Robohelp 7 program I recieve the following error message."The configuration data for this product is corrupt". I have attempted the associated fixes as listed on the web site with no apparent success.
Operating OS is Win XP Pro SP2, 1 Gig RAM,80Gig HD,80% free.
Has anyone seen this problem previously. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this doesn't help, but a similar thing is happening to me. I can install RH7 on my WindowsXP desktop and it will launch. I can open and close it repeatedly -- until I log off my user account. Once I log off Windows, either by Log Off or by shutting down the computer, and log back on, RH7 won't open. I get an hour glass for 1-2 secs and then nothing.

I've been on the phone for hours and hours with Tech Support for the last week. The latest suggestion was to remove ALL programs, then install RH7 first, then start reinstalling all my other software one at a time to see which one has a conflict with RH7. If that doesn't work, then they suggest reformatting the C drive. Yikes!

I'm at the point of removing all software and I thought I would check out the forum to see if anyone else had similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum to both of you.

In both cases, these are not problems that have appeared here before.

Kelevellie: You say 'out of the box' but do you really mean that in the sense you have an Adobe CD rather than a download? If it is a download, I would download it again.

To both of you I would suggest trying a different PC. Don't activate, just test how the install goes. In DFS... case I would try one out of the office to ensure the AV program is not causing the problem. Also I am assuming that you both have admin rights attached to your logon.

Try that and post back.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2008 Feb 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

Perhaps some more info is required.
I have been a long term user of Robohelp as previously provided by Blue Sky Software. The older copy resides on a seperate machine still working fine. Understanding that it was time for an upgrade,I went searching and found that Adobe now provides the software solution.
Interested,I proceeded to download a demo copy of the software which ran just fine.Next step was to purchase the product and install it.
Via standard windows software removal techniques, I made the demo vanish.(so it appeared).
The present copy that I am attempting to install is indeed an authentic Adobe disk. (PN = 38043518) (SN=1316-1044-8183-2394-8239-8002.)
Installation OS is WinXP Pro SP2 ,1 Gig RAM, 80Gig HD (60%free).
I have attempted several suggestions as posted on your web sight with no success. I am looking forward to using the software if I could simply get past this buggy install error "The configuration data for this product is corrupt,contact your support personnel".
Is it a registration issue? Some files left over from demo copy? Per previous link,removing programs and reformatting the HD is definitely not acceptable.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks, same problem. I have the technical suite that I downloaded and installed. Robohelp HTML works until I log off and log back on, and then when I go to launch it, I get the hourglass, but no launch.

I have had to uninstall and reinstall four times, today being the fourth. Windows XP SP2, 1gb ram, 60% free HD. Networked computer.

My RH project is managed by Visual Source Safe. The only other thing I can say about the latest problem, is that McAffee apparently threw an error overnight and shut down. But this is the first time I've noticed this.

Oh, and I also have Robohelp 5 still installed. I am uninstalling that now.

I'm going to reboot and see if the error persists. But I just did an uninstall/reinstall yesterday, and now have to do it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RESPONSE TO MARK'S POST

Did you buy an upgrade or a full version? If you purchased an upgrade, the reason could be that it is looking for the old version. That said, my understanding is it doesn't care and will install most of the way regardless. The upgrade version will however at some point explain if cannot find an earlier version and ask for the licence.

There's stuff about cleaning the registry on Adobe's site. My site has a link to it under Installing RH. The stuff is for an earlier version.

Also on my site is a link to the RH7 installation troubleshooter. See Using RH7.

Do you have another PC that has not had either version of RH so that we can establish it is or is not the CD that is the issue?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

This is a full install,not an upgrade. Adobe Robohelp 7 PN = 38043518. SN = 1316-1044-8183-2394-8239-8002.
RBHP,7.0.WIN
RET,UE,1PK,CD

Thank You
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the DFS... It wouldn't accept anything I typed for a nickname, said "already been taken", so I got a little crazy and it took that entry. Now it won't let me change it! Anyway, you can call me "Sue" :)

I am a long time user of RoboHelp also, and have RHx5 currently installed on this computer. I bought an upgrade version and first had the problem with the CD install. I tried downloading the trial version and using my serial number with it. Same problem.

I CAN install it succesfully on two other PCs - one is a brand new laptop with Vista and no previous version of RH, the other is my old laptop with RHX5, Windows XPSP2. However, I use my desktop PC 90% of the time and need to have it work on this PC.

This desktop is about as squeaky clean as you can get - I have run Disk Cleanup, Chkdsk, Defragmenter, and full virus scan. I downloaded EasyCleaner and cleaned the Registry. I have now deleted about 20 unneeded programs and am getting to the ones I'll need to reinstall. I've tried creating a new user account (with Admin privileges) and have gone into MSCONFIG to turn off all non-microsoft services and all startup programs. Still will not launch after logging off and logging back on. All the while, RHX5 and all other programs (what's left) are working just fine.

Since it won't even display the splash screen, seems like there should be a way to trace the code and find out where/why it's failing. I will ask the Tech Support person who is supposed to call me this afternoon. I'll also look into a connection with IE. Any other thoughts are appreciated!!

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marilyn

Is it just RH that has this problem or all the programs in the suite?

McAffee has caused problems in the past but I thought that was just when trying to generate printed documentation.

Did you have admin rights attached to your logon when you installed TCS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very odd, only RH HTML does this. Rest of the programs, INCLUDING RH for WORD run fine. I have admin rights to everything but McAffee... but, the odd thing is the HTML - and the probable issue to some conflict with internet explorer 7. Another odd thing is that the windows shortcut keys to open explorer.exe seem to conflict with RH HTML. When RH works, the shortcut key doesn't. When the shortcut key works, then RH doesn't. So, the problem seems to be with explorer.exe -- trying to run down the last error message that I get with explorer - there was a specific .dll.

This is the first time I have had the mcAfee error, and I think that was because Acrobat did an upgrade last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean **Acrobat** did an upgrade?

Have you checked McAffee to see that RoboHTML is a permitted application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I bought the Technical Suite = RH 7.0.

Just checked the McAffee logs, (only thing I can see on network computer) and gee, seems the scans time out on .jar, Robohelp.chm, and explorer.exe.

Last thing I did yesterday (after reinstalling RH) was the Acrobat patch. When I came in this morning I had a referenced memory error from McAfee (that probably occurred overnight), and RH doesn't launch again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, checking the McAfee log.. think the IT boys had the screws a bit too tight. It was blocking a lot of stuff, even microsoft .dot templates (so much for workgroup templates), but they basically set it so that programs can't run from temp folders. Having them disable it for now. Uninstalling the entire suite and going to reinstall. Let you know if that was the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark

Another PC? If that does not indicate the CD is faulty then I think you will need to either follow the link to the troubleshooting guide for RH7 on Adobe's site or contact Support.

It's not a message I am familiar with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

The existing disk installs ok on another machine. Point of reference,another copy purchased for installation on a second system PN = 38043505 does not install on my machine either. Same error.
Common link appears to be my machine.Any further thoughts regarding stray files or registry ghost's?

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue, yours is the same problem. Although I haven't tried installing on another machine, since I don't have an extra machine for this purpose.

I have done the same steps - defragged, dskchk, cleanup, uninstalled previous RH version, and thought I had it nailed yesterday.

I am now reinstalling the entire technical suite. The previous McAfee problem update - opened the log, and those events logged are not enforced, so says the log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Finally located the specific error that Robohelp last threw, before I had to reinstall:

"Faulting Application robohtml.exe,version 7.0.145.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00043345"

thanks for you help and advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marilyn,
Is your problem fixed now? If so, what do you think caused the problem and where did you find that error message?

Thanks,
Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, sorry, posted that too soon, there are a few. So here are the others:

... faulting module msvcr80.dll, version8.0.50727.1433, fault address 0x000149d1.

..faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x245c8928

the ntdll.dll error also pops up on
faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180.

------------
I get both the explorer and robohelp errors.

thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue -

Not sure, I have just completed a reinstall, and not Acrobat 3D doesn't launch :)

Those errors are logged in your system events: Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Events.

I seem to have those as a recurring theme. Also, the help guide that I am working on is very large.

Keep you posted,
Marilyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marilyn.

This post is about someone else who had a problem with one of the DLLs you refer to.

http://tinyurl.com/3ct5wq

Note the common link is AV software.

I can only suggest you guys turn off AV software (disconnecting from the net) and try again. Also you are just going to have to work through that troubleshooting guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,
I checked my Event Log and found this error repeatly. When I click for more information I see the file name is netevent.dll.

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service MDM with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}

I'm not sure if this dll is causing the RH7 problem and if so, how to correct it. I have already tried installing RH7 with all non-MS services and startup programs off, which means Norton is disabled also. Unless I need to uninstall it.

I have gone through the troubleshooting guide. Does it make sense to contact Dell about this?

Thanks,
Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, duplicate post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, duplicate post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what I would be doing but it's not something I am comfortable recommending because of the attendant risks. Your call if you follow this and only after backing up everything in sight.

First I would install JV16 which is a cleanup tool recommended by another forum I follow. After removing RH, I would let that run loose. So far, it has never given me a problem afterwards but that might just be me being lucky.

Then I would look at the old instructions for cleaning the registry, figure out the current equivalents and make sure JV16 had removed them all.

Depending on your expertise, you might want to involve your IT guys in that.

i would also throw an extract of every error message seen at Google. Surprising how much that can reveal.

Like I said it is risky. Have you read that troubleshooting guide yet? Everyone seems to be ignoring that and it might just contain a paragraph that makes you sit up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp