• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to center a group of shapes on the slide?

Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I select and right click a shape, then I can mark the option ALIGN CENTER HORIZONTALLY ON THE SLIDE, to center the shape. But, if I group two or three shapes, there is no way to center the group. The ALIGN options become dimmed.

How can I center a GROUP of shapes on the slide? In the example image, I want to center that group of three shapes.

thanks!

group-of-shapes-captivate.jpg

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Hi,

Currently in Captivate 9 we do not support Align options for a group for Responsive projects. Alignment of individual objects is possible.

Thanks for bringing it up, we will surely consider it for future releases.

Thanks,

Mohana

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Try clicking directly on one of the shapes. I tried that and the group was selected. I was then able to center the group that way.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I tried doing what you say, but see what happened:

The goal is to center the group of 2 shapes:

group1.jpg

I clicked in the cross and select it:

group2.jpg

Now I checked the option:

checkmark-align-center.jpg

But see what happened. The cross moved to the left, and the group has not been centered right on the slide.

bad-centering.jpg

What exactly you did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if the video linked below helps.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the video, Rick!

I don't know for what reason, but the ALIGN option for the group does not appear in my Captivate 9. I selected the group; see that no individual shape is selected. Do you have any idea what is happening in my program?

no-align-option-for-group.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried in another project and the ALIGN option for the group of 3 shapes appear. The project in which the Align option does not appear for the group is a responsive project. I just created a new responsive project and insert the three shapes in the first slide. Maybe the align option does not appear because the project is responsive. What do you thing?

align-option-ok-for-group.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, maybe it's a version 9 issue. I haven't yet adopted version 9 and my version 8 behaves identically to the video I created when I do the same thing in a Responsive project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Rick, it seems to be a version 9 issue. Something not so important to be corrected in the next updates.

Do you recommend some Captivate courses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you set up the position properties?

On Sunday, September 6, 2015, Gato_de_Botas <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The position panel becomes blank when I select a group of shapes, and even if I ungroup the shapes. Is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that RESPONSIVE and NON RESPONSIVE projects are two completely different things! If I select a shape in a responsive project, there are many informations and options in the POSITION panel, like OBJECT POSITION (ABSOLUTE), and ADVANCED (with max-height, max-width, min-height, min-width, Align Center Horizontally on the slide, and Align Center Vertically on the slide, besides Smart Position and Lock Size and Position. But if I select a shape in a NON responsive project, the Properties Panel is blank!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Position panel is only for Responsive projects, because you can have

relative position to the slide top, bottom, etc or to another object. If

the object in a group is positioned relative to an object, aligning that

object to the slide will also move the other object.

This has no sense for a normal object where you have only absolute

positioning, which can be found in the tab Options of the Properties panel.

Are you newbie to Captivate or at least to Responsive projects?

On Sunday, September 6, 2015, Gato_de_Botas <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I'm starting studying Captivate now. I know something on html and css, but it is my first experience with Captivate. The ability to create interactive projects, that are responsive and can be distributed in html5 format is the main reason I have been attracted by Captivate. I need a soft to create projects that can be distributed for desktop and mobile systems, and Captivate seems to be the answer I have been looking for in the last months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created two new projects: one responsive, and one non responsive. In the responsive project, the ALIGN option does not appear for the group of shapes; but in the non responsive project, the align option appears!

It seems that the align option only works for non responsive projects.

non-responsive-project-align-option-ok-for-group.jpg

responsive-project-NO-align-option-for-group.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to select the group, not an individual item of the group as you show in the screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I found out is to create another shape (like an rectangle), and to center it on the slide. Then I unchecked the option for aligning the rectangle. And then is possible to align the group of shapes using the rectangle as a reference. But maybe there is an easier solution...

In the example I used the black rectangle as a reference to align the group of shapes.

group-of-shapes-captivate-aligned.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Currently in Captivate 9 we do not support Align options for a group for Responsive projects. Alignment of individual objects is possible.

Thanks for bringing it up, we will surely consider it for future releases.

Thanks,

Mohana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks Mohana!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources