• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New collapsing (folding) code in Dreamweaver cc 2015.

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is "collapse all code except selection" ? It was really useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Code collapse for selection in code view is back with the latest release DW CC 2015.1 Nov Release.

For more details read the post below

Dreamweaver CC 2015 update (2015.1) is now live!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello AF Studio Artur Figurski,

I was trying to figure this out as well and I found it. I attached a screen shot. When you hover to the left of the code, but just to the right of the line numbers, you will get arrows that point down. If you click the arrow when it appears, it will collapse that full tag of that line item. Hope this helps!

Thank you,
Studio RTPcollapse-code.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this is a great addition, other programs do this far better. Maybe there is an option but I could not find one, but basically it would show them without having to hover + give them a background color so it doesn't look like it's built into the code. the feature works great once used but it's weird that you have to hover over this slim area to get them to show when there is nothing else going on in this space besides that.

w9WCu.jpg

Example from Notepad++

*edit*

Also should note that if you select the code yes it shows a seperated textarea but it's kind of weird to have it as the same color there should be an option to customize this feature to be more design friendly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I'm so used to CTRL+SHIFT+J. having to more my hand to the mouse and then find the line and then hover for the arrow...its not like they doing anything else with that keystroke...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not familiar with Ctrl + Shift + J, I remember Ctrl + Shift + C/E which was for collapsing and expanding custom selections? Which I would also like back as default considering you guys don't use this command for anything else. I know there is a place to change short cut keys for commands I'll have to look and see if they have the options for those!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can certainly add any keyboard shortcut you like...Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts (Alt+E, Y). 

However you have to add the shortcut to a command. The commands for code collapsing are removed.

The only Code Collapse command left is Menu commands>Edit>Code Collapse>Expand All.

You can't collapse the code you want any more, only fold the segments that Dreamweaver suggests. And even that, you can't create a shortcut for it. The only thing you can create a shortcut for is Expand All.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the last Dreamweaver user on our team and it's things like this that keep getting me closer to ditching Dreamweaver. We program in ColdFusion and Adobe does not even natively recognize it anymore, it's own language. Huh? I have to hack at Dreamweaver to get it to understand .cfc and .inc files, for color coding etc. And now I can't collapse tags with keystrokes and I can't collapse selections at all. Added to all this is alternatives to Dreamweaver are often FREE! Getting fed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking arrows it's not solution if I have 5000 lines of CSS code and I'd like to collapse all except my selected lines.

It was so easy in Dreamweaver CC, why Adobe deleted this function in CC 2015?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your concerns to the product team for their attention. I will get back as soon as I have an update.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring the old "collapse selection" feature back!! It was the only reason I kept using Dreamweaver (seriously).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new collapsing feature is tedious at best.  I can no longer highlight code and collapse only that selection of code, I'm restricted to what Dreamweaver thinks I should collapse which most of the time is correct.  I know Dreamweaver isn't the most obvious choice for web programming (PHP, ASP etc) but it's what I'm familiar with and until now the benefits of built in FTP made up for its downfalls however now I'm even more motivated to look to other products for this purpose.

Please bring back the old collapsing service or at least offer it as an option in preferences.  This should never have been an enforced option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I also need to be able to collapse (any) selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if Preran knew the dev team was going to change it, he wouldn't be able to tell you when it would be coming out. Per Adobe's policy, reps can't give out estimated release dates for anything. Personally I think that policy needs a major revamping now with the CC Subscription system, but it is what it is.

Make sure to keep voting in the Ideas section to get back the old functionality. If enough people vote to get it back, Adobe would at least consider it.

It probably wouldn't hurt to report it as a bug since the functionality has been greatly reduced: Feature Request/Bug Report Form, that way, the dev team will get a first hand glimpse of how many people are affected by this particular lackluster feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm passed caring now.  I'm not going to vote for something that should not have been removed and that clearly hasn't been given any thought.  As a company, we don't pay to have less of a product and then have to vote to get something back.

To be perfectly honest I'm glad it's happened, I'm now acquainted with PHPStorm which I find better suited to my needs and has built in FTP which was the only reason I was hanging on to Dreamweaver.  We'll continue to allow the designers in company to use it as it's evident Adobe has started to dumb down the product, but our developers seats will be cancelled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to keep voting in the Ideas section to get back the old functionality. If enough people vote to get it back, Adobe would at least consider it.

Well, this is a good action, thanks by warn. I voted.

Please guys vote and respond in that page. The old collapse tool is very very good and need to return instead of new. The new is catastrophic .

https://forums.adobe.com/ideas/4468

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wish to have better control over what I collapse.

For instance, I write CSS like this to save space and my brain processes it more easily:

#container {width:200px; height:200px; background-color:#F00;}

#containerText {color:#000; text-align:left;}

Dreamweaver won't collapse those two lines of code unless I write it like this:

#container {

width:200px;

height:200px;

background-color:#F00;

}

#containerText {

color:#000;

text-align:left;

}

Even then it only collapse EACH into one. I can't collapse both into one line. I see the same issue in HTML where I have lines of scripts. I can't collapse anything I want into one line.

While I like the twirl down triangle, I can't imagine why Dreamweaver gives us LESS control as a "feature". What's the point of collapsing code if it doesn't collapse what you want? Give us back the old collapse button as well to use if we so desire...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What were you thinking?????

We can't even collaps comments!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

Do you have any news to report back with yet?  I think we'd all appreciate knowing whether we're wasting our time keeping Dreamweaver installed in the hope this ill thought-out update will be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please have an update of what's happening???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The storm is just brewing mate, once this hits the social networks you'll be in big trouble

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Why adobe remove this?

I want back ctrl+shift+j functionality at anyhow. It's not bearable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collapsing/Expanding selected code is one of the main reason why I am still using Dreamweaver. I'm gonna use the old Dreamweaver 2014 until Adobe gets it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to be able to collapse commented code - normally commented code is stuff I want to ignore, but at the moment commented sections of code are the only thing I CAN'T collpase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was sad to see the folding of highlighted code feature disappear as well.

I have found a relatively simple workaround however (for PHP at least, I have not tested this with any other languages though I assume the same principle would work for CSS, etc.) .

If you simply add a commented line with an opening brace at the start of where you want the code to fold, then another commented line with the closing brace at the end of what you want to fold, Dreamweaver seems to detect those braces (whether they're in commented lines or not) and allows you to click the little arrow to the left and fold/collapse it.

EX:

//{
    Everything you want to fold
//}

This will allow you to fold the entire block since Dreamweaver seems to rely on the braces now to fold any code. It's not quite as easy as highlighting and clicking the fold button, but it seems to work just as well in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it works, but why we the customer should be forced to write workarounds for the tool we use to write code is a complete anathema to me. It adds extra lines to my code and therefore an extra chance of confusion and errors, whereas code-folding is supposed to make our lives easier...not to add more complexity. Quite simply the Adobe Dreamweaver developers haven't got a clue about writing real code for web development or they only use automated code creation (which basically suggests that they have a pretty limited skill-set)...if they did then they wouldn't have removed/destroyed this feature. I mean one can't even start the collapse from the end of the code-block anymore. SO I could have to traverse several hundred lines of code upwards to collapse an area which is clearly the end of a code-block (a closing parenthesis or html element for instance). This is simply a complete and utter balls-up by the development team at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines