• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WYSIWYG Editor

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2008 Feb 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a FlashHelp Project.... I'm curious to know what is the WYSIWYG Editor?

How do you work with it?
What does it do?
What are you supposed to see when you click on WYSIWYG Editor?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 11, 2008 Feb 11, 2008
Hi all

For anyone watching this thread, I connected with LB-25 and we resolved the issue.

The issue was that the split controlling how much of the Project Pane you see VS how much of the Topics/WYSIWYG/Link View etc had been somehow moved all the way to the right edge of the application. So from LB-25's perspective, there was only the Project Pane. Once we adjusted the split between the two, RoboHelp had a more normal appearance and things were good to go.

Just another instance where pure te...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the community.

The default WYSIWYG editor is RoboHelp's. WYSIWYG = "What you see is what you get." The WYSIWYG is for the help topics themselves, no matter which single source layout (in your case, FlashHelp) that you use. You use the editor for entering text and images and layout--basically putting in the help content and making it look the way you want the users to see it. This is independent of the skin you end up choosing and seeing for a FlashHelp output.

You can change the default HTML editor to programs like Dreamweaver or Notepad. To do so, in RoboHelp go to Tools > Options > Tool Locations tab. The HTML Editors section at the bottom lets you configure your editor for your help topics.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LB-25 and welcome to the RH community.
The WYSIWYG Editor is an area of the RH application window. It is used to enter text, images, hyperlinks, etc. in a way that does not involve lots of HTML knowledge as all this is created behind the scenes. Think of a fancy "Word" <spit> interface and you get the idea. Why not download the trial and see for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick response.

So the WYSIWYG Editor, is it some sort of editing program, or is it just the Project Tab that is located at the bottom left?

I'm sorry if I seam a bit slow, i'm still trying to understand this software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Column,

How do I get access to this WYSIWYG Editor? Like where is it located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Column,

How do I get access to this WYSIWYG Editor? Like where is it located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Column and Ben,

When i'm in the Project Tab, I right-click on a topic, and there's the option on editting with WYSIWYG Editor. It's doesn't do anything when I click on it. Is that what it's supposed to do, or i'm supposed to be seeing something on the screen (WYSIWYG Editor)?:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try double clicking on a topic. The topic opens up in the WYSIWYG Editor. That is unless you have the option set to use the TrueCode tab as your default editor. This opens the topic up with the full glory of the HTML code displayed for the whole world to marvel at. You can, in fact, toggle between the two with a topic displayed by clicking on the relevant tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long does it usually take before the WYSIWYG Editor pops up?
I know that when i click on the WYSIWYG Editor, the toolbar changes a littlet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 6...Does that make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

For RoboHelp 6, the editor is on the right side of the app. Assuming you are using RoboHelp HTML. It's where you type your text and add images. Below that area should be four tabs.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long it takes to open up depends on what's inside. I used to maintain one topic that contained over 500 tables complete with thousands of links. I wouldn't recommend this approach - the powers that be wanted it no matter what - and when I opened up the topic I used to go and make a pot of tea, let it brew for five minutes, answer a few emails and just before I got extremely frustrated it would open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am using the RoboHelp HTML...I do not see an editor on the right side of the application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way that I can send you the project, so that you can see what im talking about

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you use the Alt + 4 keyboard shortcut? How big is a zipped file of your project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

It sounds like you already have at least one topic in your project. If not, you will not see the WYSIWYG editor unless you have a topic to edit. To create a topic, go to FIle > New > Topic, set the attributes, and click OK. Then you should be able to double-click on the topic title in the Project Manager and see it in the editor. Generally, a new topic has some default text in it that says something like "Enter topic text here."

I'm using RH 7 (I apologize if some of my instructions are slightly off), so I don't know that I'd be much help in troubleshooting this project by opening it.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what you probably need more is someone who can remote connect to your desktop and see what you are seeing. from what you have been saying, it sounds like either the environment itself isn't set up or configured properly, or it really is OK but you don't quite understand what you are seeing.

I can probably do this with you, although my afternoon is a bit crunched. I use iLinc to remote connect with clients here - all I would need is your email address to send you an invitation, and then for you to let me connect with your desktop. Then you could show me what you are seeing.

If you want to try this, let me know ASAP.

-Laurin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I just did the Alt + 4, and it didn't do anything yet.....maybe I should wait a while to see if anything is gonna happen...

For the zipped file of the project its: 2KB- The file is a XPJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laurin,

I'll give you my work email : lbeaulieu@aviationintertec.com

Let's give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum and Ben I appreciate all of your help.

I greatly appreciate it.
If I ever need more help i'll know where to go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just spent a few minutes looking at LB-25's project environment. It's a little weird, and yeah, she can't get to the W Editor. The window looks like Windows Explorer, without the folders pane on the left - just a long list of topics and folders. Double click on a topic and nothing happens. I tried using the right-click menu to Edit a topic with the W Editor and nothing happened.

He project settings were initially to output FlashHelp as her default. Because I am much more familiar with the HTML Help world I tried setting the default to HTML Help, to see if that made any difference to the environment. Nope.

So - my initial hunch is that during installation, she may have opted out of the W Editor - I think I remember wayyyyy back when I first installed RHelp being asked if I wanted to use if as the default editor.

So, I suggested that she completely uninstall and then reinstall - she may need to be directed to the lovely checklist of uninstall / clean - up steps - and when reinstalling, read the setup questions carefully. Make sure to allow the W Editor as her default (she can still use other editors, but at least the W Editor would be available.)

Anyone? Did I send her down the right path? Or down into yet another ring of the Inferno? I don't think ther eis much to be harmed by reinstalling - at least it would rule that out as the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh yeah - forgot to mention the obvious - that I had attempted to bring other panes into view by using the options on the View menu. Nothing changed, as far as I could tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look under Tools | Options. What is listed for editors? If you right click a topic and select Open With, do any of those options work?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The list for editors under Tools/Options:
-RoboHelp WYSIWYG-*Set at default** (DOES NOT WORK)
-RoboHelp Truecode (DOES NOT WORK)
-Notepad (WORKS)
-Word 2000 (WORKS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the radio buttons there?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp