5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 12:59 PM by RjL190365

Feedback on PC build

gstadter

I'm putting together a PC with a cap on the funds I can spend, but here is the short and skinny of it:
      -- i7-5820K
      -- Asus X99-A/USB3.1 mb
      -- 32GB DDR4
      -- Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB 4GD5

-- Two Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSDs
      -- Two Intel 750 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 400GB SSDs

Any feedback regarding anything about my build would be very appreciated, but more specific curiosity is of how to best configure the drives...
      I'm not sure if I could, or would even want to make one of the Intel 750s my boot drive.   My initial thought is to boot to one of the 850 EVOs, put the page/swap file on the second 850 EVO, put Premire Pro project files on one of the Intel 750s, and use the other Intel 750 for scratch drive in Premiere Pro.    Im kind of a novice in the world of Premiere Pro.  ..most of my work thus far has been in Lightroom and Photoshop.

thanks

• 1. Re: Feedback on PC build
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would not suggest the NVMe drives versus the 5960X or 5930K CPU. The 5820K is limited PCI-E lanes. Why are you getting the Intel PCI-E drives instead of a better CPU and 2x SSDs?

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Feedback on PC build
            gstadter Level 1

because I didn't know any better?  LOL

seriously... I had an actual hard limit on what I could spend...

If I had went with the $1,050 5960X I probably would have been limited(by funds) to having an absolute total of three small SATA SSDs in the system, instead of the current config of dual SATA and dual PCIe NVMe 3.0 SSDs.   I should say, I won't be working on large movie productions or tv shows, just the occasional editing of home videos or video of kids' sports.   I will be using the machine also for website development and running VMs at times...so utilizing Premiere Pro will not be this machines primary use, just one that lent me to justifying my first ever purchase of a discrete graphics card and deciding against the Skylake gen.   My understanding is that one Intel 750s is faster than striped SATA anyhow.... so to answer your question of what was in my mind, I was thinking that looking over all of the different tasks that I'll be using the PC for, and my budget, my best guess was that I would far less often peg out the 6 cores than I would watch the disk subsystem slug along.   On the 5830K, I guess I just don't know.....unless I had intended to run multiple graphics cards, why would I need more then the 28 lanes?  The Intel 750 NVMe cards are x4.

• 3. Re: Feedback on PC build
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

SSD's in raid 0 would perform far greater than you require for that workflow and those allow the 5930K which is not limited by PCI-E lanes. Also the 5820K seems to be less able to handle higher clocked ram as stable. I don't see any reference in your work where the NVMe drives will help you since SSD's will be far greater than what you require. Diminishing returns comes into play and the NVMe are built around very high bandwidth media where multiple SSD drives become cost prohibitive or database workflows with hundreds of database calls every second which does not include the media content creation industry.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Feedback on PC build
                gstadter Level 1

makes sense.  thank you very much...off to check if it's not too late to change my order....  

• 5. Re: Feedback on PC build
                  RjL190365 Level 5

I'd second Eric's recommendation of a faster and/or more-core-equipped CPU within the Intel LGA 2011-3 socket. My recommendation, in this case, would be either an i7-5930K or an i7-5960X with three 256GB Samsung 850 PRO or three 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSDs (both of which have SATA interfaces). The two Intel NvME SSDs plus two 120GB 850 EVOs would cost more money than three 500GB 850 EVOs. And don't bother with the 120GB 850 EVO SSDs at this time because they are now much less cost-effective than larger-capacity SSDs (the 120GB SSDs are both slower and less reliable than their larger siblings).