• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2014 Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2014 Jul 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just installed and updated to InDesign CC 2014 on my Mac (OS X) and a lot of keyboard shortcuts are now missing. To move your view on the page, one would usually hold the space bar down and drag the hand tool. This no longer works. Also, usually to copy/drag an object, one would hold the option key and drag. This no longer works. Also usually to keep an object inline, one would hold the shift key and drag the object. This no longer works. I need assistance on getting this working again ASAP. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried making a new user profile and starting ID from that user? Does it work there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean for Adobe? All the keyboard shortcuts are still working fine in all the other programs, it's just InDesign CC 2014 that they aren't working. It seems to be anything that involved using the mouse. I can still switch between tools, copy and paste using Command + C and Command + V, toggle being views, etc. Just when I try to do anything that requires combing a shortcut + dragging with the mouse that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmmm, I take that back, now the hand + drag for the moving the view is not working for Illustrator either, but the option + mouse drag works to copy an object. WEIRD! Could it be something with the keyboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the OS ssytem prefs to be sure they aren't in use at the system level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem, too. All of the default shortcuts are gone-- but only in InDesign. I uninstalled (using the uninstaller) and reinstalled the software (without importing old preferences) and the problem is continuing. I'd love to hear if anyone knows what is up. (I am running the latest OS for Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL of the default shortcuts? Did you check to see if you are using the default set? Did you check the system prefs? Have you closed other programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had problems with shortcuts while in indesign cc 2014. If you running browsers (safari or chrome) in the background, try quitting these and see if your shortcuts work. Maybe, start Indesign first and then open the browsers..

lister

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I had the same problem -- lost my InDesign CC keyboard shortcuts after installing InDesign CC on a new MacBook Pro Retina and using the new wireless mouse. I took the advice in this thread and quit Safari and InDesign. After relaunching InDesign first, I got the InDesign keyboard shortcuts back.

I had also lost my right-click function and got it back also. Weird...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem with InDesign, new CC update and a wireless mouse. Followed the same advice, quit my browser (Chrome) restarted InDesign first and all of the shortcuts came back. Weird! Oh and thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact problem. I couldn't not be any more frustrated than what I am now. I reset preference permissions. I reinstalled. That actually worked for 2 days...and now they are gone.

I will try quitting Safari. But seriously? This is ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this same problem after October 2014 update and Google brought me here.

I quit Safari (but kept Chrome running) and restarted InDesign, which brought the keyboard shortcuts back.

Sounds like a nasty bug.

I have MBP retina (15" 2013 model), OS X 10.9.5 and Apple wireless keyboard and mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem on my brand new MBP retina 15" running Yosemity and CC 2014. Many keyboard shortcuts seem not to work. For instance, pressing the Shift key while dragging out a new ellipse, does not constrain proportions. Scaling with the cmd key does not work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same issues with shortcuts in inDesign but for me, its because i have the new shortened keyboard and no keypad. the functions key are not able to be used in inDesign (like they are in Quark) and with no NumLock and no keypad, inDesign basically has no options available for shortcuts. Workarounds? Fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and as a follow up this program

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/index.html.en

works to remap the function keys to perform what the numpad was doing.

so now i have shift-fn-1 acting the same as what numpad-1 would (if i had a numpad)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit Chrome. Quit Safari. Quit Firefox. Quit any form of web access > Restart InDesign > Open Adobe InDesign first (shortcuts should have returned) > Then open web browser of preference.

..still not working?

Restart MAC / PC > Reopen Adobe InDesign first (short cuts should have returned) > Then open web browser of preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've just had the same problem with a Mac in our studio. Having tried all the above to no joy I discovered the reasons none of the shortcuts seem to be working correctly was because a freelancer had changed the keyboard to a spanish setup. Might not be any good to you but thought I'd mention just in case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is clearly a HUGE problem I cannot use CMD in any AODBE app after upgrading to CC 2015?

Adobe needs to get  on this tried all the above no -change-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a new issue.  It almost certainly has nothing to do with a particular version of InDesign. The vast majority of users don't have this problem.

People have been complaining about missing modifier keys for a very long time. Look at this post I wrote in 2006:

The Missing Keystrokes Mystery | InDesignSecrets

The cause varies over time, but there are almost always competing third-party utilities, browser extensions, or other software which is grabbing the keystrokes.

The problem is that it can be difficult to pin down what is causing the problem. A couple of techniques to help identify the culprit: (1) Reboot your computer and launch InDesign before anything else, and see if it occurs. Then observe what happens when other software is launched.  (2) Launch InDesign in a new user. This can identify software which is autoloaded in your current user, or corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Are you using Web Root software? If you are search the forums for an answer. Either here or the Illustrator forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all.

This has been bothering me for a while now, so I sat down to see what the hell is going on.

I believe I have got to the bottom of it for me, and hopefully this will be the same for others.

I started de-activating Chrome extensions as I concluded for me, every time I quit Chrome, my shortcuts would come back. It was better but still intermittent.

I use the Chrome Extension LastPass. Wouldn't be without it. however, for me, and at this moment in time, it is the culprit of the missing shortcuts!

To get around it, what I have needed to do was when logging into LastPass in Chrome, DO NOT MOVE THE MOUSE until you are logged in. Please dont ask me why, but it really does appear to have fixed my issue.

Anyway, I hope others may find some relief with this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and a link to the YouTube video showing this....

InDesign CC Shortcuts - Chrome - LastPass - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Thanks for the heads-up, Roy. The Chrome browser extensions are one of the biggest problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent about 30 hours on this same exact problem (2013 Mac Pro with Yosemite, and InDesign CC 2015 most recent build). 4 Different support tickets with Adobe. 6 different 1-2 hour sessions with their support staff. I'm now working with two high-level "engineers" (who seem impossible to get into contact with now...). It's gotten so bad I'm getting in trouble with my bosses because I can't use the my main graphic design program: InDesign (and as all professionals in the industry know there's really no other alternative software to use).

The LastPass plugin issue is what has caused my problem as well. I'm able to duplicate to a "T" the problem shown in the above linked YouTube video.

This REALLY needs to stop and be fixed. I don't care what plug-ins I have on a completely different non-Adobe program – a program which doesn't interface with InDesign in even the slightest way (well, besides bricking InDesign so it doesn't work of course...). As of 2015 LastPass has over 7 million people using it. This is absolutely inexcusable on both sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌agreed. This has to be adressed. I am only glad I am not the only one, and my post helped.

I Believe the reason there is a clash is down to Adobe now using html (more specifically Chromes engine) as a base for new html5 extensions.

Hopefully they will find a way to sandbox the extensions some time soon.

Royston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines