• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign freezes when selecting the file menu

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to InDesign CC 2015 and find that when I have a file open and select the file menu, InDesign Freezes. It has also been freezing when trying to launch InDesign

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier's fix here: Replace Your Preferences    works. You can mash the shift+control+option+command buttons on the mac while you boot the program and it will get you the screen you need.  Click ok, and its fixed.

Whew.  Serious bugs in this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replacing the prefs works, but only temporarily, because when you do that you reset the open recent list. Set the count to zero until there is a patch....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same thing has just started happening to me. Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replaced my preferences and that helped for a bit. Then it started doing it again. So I replaced my preferences again. Seems like there should be a better fix than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If prefs re-corrupt after a short period it usually means there's a conflict with something else that's running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have this problem until I upgraded to CC 2015. Is there a known glitch? Or is there something else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are LOTS of glitches with CC 2015...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rarely had problems with Adobe products until moving to CC. SOOO many bugs in every program now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem here. Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody else with this issue also running FontXplorer X Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the FontExplorer X 5 and I am having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently installed FontXplorer X Pro and now I am having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit:

As pointed out by JThoeming in this thread, Indesign CC 2015 hangs everytime I access the file menu‌ this is likely an issue due to ID attempting to connect to a disconnected server. That reflects my experience as this issue only presents itself at work, not at home, and seems likely to be the result of ID trying to read a file on my (inaccessible) home server.

Yep, same and same - CC 2015 and FontExplorer 5. Prefs-trashage + recent items = 0 solved it in the short-term - massive thanks to Peter Spier for the exhaustive guide. Lets hope there is a less invasive solution at some point soon.

I've been in contact with Monotype support for over 3 months trying to fix a suddenly-inoperative-after-a few-month's-use FX 4. Apparently, ID CC 2015 changed how fonts are dealt with within the app; something to do with structure (they didn't elaborate). That may serve to explain these teething problems. FX 5 functions but seemingly renders ID's file menu inoperative. Where's the facepalm emoticon where you need it?

Can't we all just get along? 

This issue persists even after yesterday's CC update, So prefs-trash and recent items to 0 may well be the best workaround we collectively have for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using Font Explorer Pro X, and after upgrading to InDesign CC, the issue started. Haven't found a fix for it. Luckily, I remember most of the keystroke commands for things under the file menu – so it's definitely an issue when using the mouse and clicking on the File menu to open it.

Why hasn't Adobe responded to any of this????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set the number of recent files to 0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, and that seemed to work. Genius. Should have known it was a network issue, and that it had something to do with re-opening past files I had been working on (which it keeps asking for). Still, why hasn't Adobe responded to any of these threads saying they'll fix it, or put out an update?

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.. Clicking file menu gets me the beach ball (mac) which disappears after a while. Menu never opens. Click it again, same thing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you replace the prefs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME THING happening to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like in the above post, an update to the latest CC2015 fixes it, or setting the remember last x files (in prefs) to 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. (Also due to another issue I had concerning something called "assertion failure" and "partial purge:level1" in the console - theres a separate thread about this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rasnab78, In your case I think you have more serious system configuration issues/software conflicts, or just a bad install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem since updating to CC2015. Going to try resetting preferences and see if this sorts it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines