• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Draw with the new iPad Pro

Participant ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize the iPad Pro was JUST announced and only Apple and Adobe employees have probably played around with the hardware and software together... but what is everyone's thoughts? Will these work well together?

I do some pretty simple comic drawings (mainly just line art and then simple coloring with Photoshop) and I'm wondering about the feasibility of drawing on the iPad Pro. I've been using a Wacom tablet for years, but recently purchased a Surface Pro 3, so I'm set on a tablet that I can draw directly on the screen with a pen. I can return the Surface by Friday if I want... but I need to figure out if the iPad/iOS Adobe apps will work with my workflow.

With the Surface Pro 3 I run full Photoshop. I draw in Photoshop on a 5,000 pixel x 5000 pixel canvas set at 150ppi.

I need layers, adjusting pen brushes and to be able to color. I was looking at Photoshop sketch but it looks like that does not have layer support.

Could I draw in Illustrator Draw on the iPad Pro and then send to my MacBook Pro to do the finishing touches? Are you able to set your canvas size in Illustrator Draw?

here's an example of a drawing I'm working on currently:

IMG_1569.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

We were talking about the same dilemma at the studio.

The problem with iOS that we see so far is that it doesn't support the full apps.

The Surface 3 Pro is great because it runs all of the CC desktop apps. You can send your mobile apps to it.

But, the problem is that you can't use the iOS mobile apps.

I'm excited by the new iPad tho.

Have you tried drawing your illustrations on regular paper, then converting them to vector with Adobe Shape?

Different, but a great resource too

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were talking about the same dilemma at the studio.

The problem with iOS that we see so far is that it doesn't support the full apps.

The Surface 3 Pro is great because it runs all of the CC desktop apps. You can send your mobile apps to it.

But, the problem is that you can't use the iOS mobile apps.

I'm excited by the new iPad tho.

Have you tried drawing your illustrations on regular paper, then converting them to vector with Adobe Shape?

Different, but a great resource too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a mac, you will able to use the iPad Pro as a second screen thanks to AstroPad Mac OS X app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

? hey there,Im looking for something else-but Your post caught my eye:

about Surface Pro"& you can send your mobile Apps to it?

meaning Not ios?  Right?

please this is very important to me.

and   I see you say this.....

BUT THEN IN SMALL THIN LETTERS YOU SAY OTHER-WISE,

and did this use of Mobil apps Happen via   Google?

or sync auto?   If   Not-   What Applications Did  work- 

ask me about the truth-  what happened .

ill tell you   directly,not publicly.

peace,

Bama

As all my Tablet cappabilities have been killed now-  No Wacom- no side car will work with my dateed Early 2015 mac book pro  +  Wacom- no play with  Catalina/   And Returned 2 Surface Pro 3's   Dysfunction+ bubbles in my screen.......Long Story yadda yadda-    Does Astro Still Work in this day year+with Mac Book Pro Catalina?

I tried the other......(dont ask)  ill tell you....connect,I thought was what to use-  Possibly I accidently added-

It is a Developers   software to

put in Apple Store "app you build ! bIm so lost!

peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I truly hope that Adobe brings full versions of it's CC applications to run on iOS.

the iPad Pro is more than powerful enough to run them.

Yes, that would require resources to recode.

But consider the huge  installed  base of iOS users. The sheer number will more than offset costs by adding millions subscribing to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emboss/Ko,

Have you seen this video? It's a demo with the iPad Pro and Adobe Photoshop Sketch: Hands on: iPad Pro and Apple Pencil with Adobe Sketch, iOS 9 Markup - YouTube

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably you AstroPad that is an Mac OS X that allow you to use an iPad as a second screen then draw with it.
Astropad for iPad | Graphics Tablet App

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  This is me back in July: Ko Maruyama on Twitter: "Setting this up for some testing... Yep that's an iPad with @Photoshop Adob...  It's still a little laggy, but more about mirroring...  and lounging with Photoshop on my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this using AstroPad or some other mirroring app? Reviews of AstroPad is that it's so-so. Lagging being the primary problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was using Astropad. 

Although it can use tethered USB as a connection, one of the significant considerations is connection speed:

1) It uses WiFi to connect to your primary computer

2) It uses Bluetooth to drive the cursor on the iPad, which is talking to your primary computer through WiFi.

Slow+Slower = difficult performance for a software idea that is really great.

This discussion is a great one for the new forums: Connect- Community Connections

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used an iPad Pro but I do have a XP-Pen Artist 12  Drawing Tablet Monitor that the company I was working for gave me.

I do much digital painting and work in vectors with it .

I MUCH preferred the XP-Pen Star or DECO series although they take a bit of getting used to (looking at the screen and drawing on the tablet).

Once you do they're great and they quickly replace the mouse or track pad.

Quite cheap and portable too.

One of the problems I found with the XP-Pen Artist 12 is that there are a lot of chunky cables and it need its own power supply.

No biggie if you have a dedicated work space but not easy to set up and not portable.

These things are expensive so I'd try one first if you can to see if it would work for you and you can justify the expense.

you can learn more from : Artist Display 12- xp-pen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines