• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The value returned from the function is not of type query

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't figure out why I got this error.  I have set default var query.  Please help.  If qLocal has records then return fine, but when qLocal records is empty will throw errors.  I've set a default.

<cffunction name="getName" access="public" returnType="query" output="false"
hint="This method returns a query.">
  <cfargument name="id_fk" required="no" default="0">
   <cfargument name="id2_fk" required="no" default="0">

<cfset var qQuery = "">

<cfquery name="qLocal" datasource="#db#">
         SELECT *
         FROM tbl
         WHERE id = <cfqueryPARAM value ="#id_fk#" CFSQLType ="CF_SQL_INTEGER"> AND id2 = <cfqueryPARAM value ="#id_fk2#" CFSQLType ="CF_SQL_INTEGER">
   </cfquery>

<cfif qLocal.recordcount>
        <cfquery name="qQuery" datasource="db">                

SELECT *

FROM tbl2

WHERE tbl2id = <cfqueryPARAM value ="#qLocal.id#" CFSQLType ="CF_SQL_INTEGER">

</cfquery>

</cfif>

<cfreturn qQuery>
</cffunction>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

The query named qQuery only executes if the qLocal query returned records. You initialized qQuery as a variable, which is not a query object. If you initialize qQuery as a query object using QueryNew(columnlist) that should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

qQuery vs. qLocal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand but can you clarify?  Or maybe I have to create 2 functions for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The query named qQuery only executes if the qLocal query returned records. You initialized qQuery as a variable, which is not a query object. If you initialize qQuery as a query object using QueryNew(columnlist) that should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't notice the conditional query and what mkanel states is correct - qQuery will be defined if results are returned in your qLocal query but will be undefined (really an integer with a value of 0) if no results are found. There is a possible second problem here in that you never declare qLocal. If it really is a "local" it needs to be declared like qQuery, otherwise it will default to the variables scope -- which is not local. For your simple test, it'll probably work fine but on a busy site you'll run into cross-threading issues that'll probably return some strange results that'll be hard to debug. I tend to not use the var declaration and instead scope all my variables using local for local: local.qQuery and local.qLocal. This way I can look at the code and visually see the scope as opposed to assuming it is declared correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the explanations.  It helps me a lot of these scope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation