• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7: Corrupted Special Characters in TOC, Glossary, Favorites, etc.

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2008 Feb 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate a .chm from a Japanese, Polish, Russian or Chinese RoboHelp 7 HTML Help, the special characters are corrupted on the .chm file’s Contents, Search, Favorites, and Glossary tabs as well in the HTML Help window's title bar.

For instance the Russian topic title “Использование приложения” is shown approximately as “Éñïîëücîâàíèå ïdéëîæåíèèÿ” on the TOC tab, making it useless for navigation purposes.

The fonts were initially also corrupted on the TOC inside the RH7 project itself until I added charset=UTF-8 info in the head/meta of the hhc files. However, there's still no joy when I generate HTML Help output.

I found a reference to someone with a similar problem with a RH7 Web help project where the solution was to add UTF-8 BOM to the very beginning of the files. Have tried adding UTF-8 BOM to the hhc or xpj files, using both Notepad and Dreamweaver, but with no result. Someone also recommended the installation of the required language packs – I tried, but again without improvement.

Have you experienced something similar and found a solution, please share your knowledge with me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert in this area but I am beginning to acquire some knowledge of the problems in this area.

First question is, I believe, are you using a unicode font? It might be worth trying something such as Arial Unicode.

I believe the BOM stuff is relevant only to webhelp.

If changing the font does not work. Please contact me direct via my website.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always appreciate your swift replies, Peter.

Specified (including in HTML Help Advanced Settings > TOC Styles) that TOC should use Arial Unicode, but unfortunately still no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email me via my site then.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2008 Feb 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Downloading the RH 7.0.1 update issued today has apparently fixed my problem.

To get the update, open your RH7 and select Help > Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp