• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 11 generated topic opens in the middle of the page

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other topics in the project open at the top. Is there a setting I missed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is there a setting you missed?

Well, quite possibly. After all, there are things you missed when you posted!

For example:

How is the topic being opened? From the TOC? From the Index? From the Search? From a Hyperlink in another topic? From a button of some sort?

If it's from the search, the topic is likely scrolling to reveal the area where the search term was found. If it's from the TOC, the Index or a Hyperlink, it's likely that the link from these areas is pointing to a Named Anchor (Bookmark) in the topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry the post was so lacking in needed information. A bit of frustration / desperation leaking out I suppose. I was opening the topic from the TOC (published project-issue identified during QA testing). I looked in the HTML view and did not ‘see’ a bookmark in the area.

Where would I look to verify that the ‘pointing to’ code is correct? Hope that question makes sense. I’m new to RoboHelp  and not sure of all the language I should use.

Thanks, Mary

Mary Coffee

Lead Technical Writer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topics open when users click a link somewhere. What is it you are clicking that opens this topic half way through?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m clicking the topic from the generated project’s TOC. I found some information about a bookmark in the middle of page but when I looked in the HTML view I couldn’t find a bookmark??? Any other idea?

Thanks for all you help.

Mary Coffee

Lead Technical Writer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ordinarily I would say the TOC must be configured to link to the bookmark but you there isn't one in HTML. That does not ring true and you say you have found some information in the middle of the page. What information?

May post an image and some of the code. You will need to do that via the web interface, not by email.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s the Design view show (don’t forget to turn on the code indicators or it’s going to look like all text and no other interesting stuff)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Peter and Jeff have both intimated that we need to see something about how the TOC is configured.

Okay, let's try this. From the TOC entry that causes the page to open in the middle, right-click it and look at properties. Copy all the text in the field at the bottom of the dialog and paste it here for us to see.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have right clicked and opened Properties for  the TOC entry for the ‘problem’ topic. There’s a long list of  items in the Page Destination  -Existing Topics - Top Level Folder. I can only copy one item at a time. But I did view each item and saw something that looked out of place. I deleted it and now the link from the TOC works properly.

Thanks so much for your help. Since I’m so new to RoboHelp, I’ll probably be calling on your help again ☺

Mary Coffee

Lead Technical Writer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, consider this to be your free RoboHelp "microlesson" of the day.

That long list of "Existing Topics" is a list of all the topics available to link to within whatever folder is shown. These are potential targets. From this dialog, you are able to choose any of them to point the link to.

That's why I asked you to look at the field at the bottom of the dialog. That area lists the path and link that is currently set for that TOC entry.

There is likely no way to tell now that you have "fixed" things. But I'd bet my bottom dollar that there is a bookmark in the topic that was previously set as the link destination and what would have proven that out would have been the text you would have copied.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was the link I deleted. I’m sorry if my explanation was clumsy. I did exactly what you said to do and that fixed it.  ☺

[signature removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a similar issue - but I can't seem to fix it as above.

My document has a long toc - and we are using Robohelp, Multiscreen output for sharepoint.

When we click on a menu item in the navigation bar, first it moves up to the top of the new page (near the title), and then it moves back down to align the screen with the navigation toc item - so the new page is displayed half way down. Sorry, can't screencapture it due to business requirements.

We would like the screen to display top of the new page, and not align itself with the menu item. This happens to all of the pages (so assume it might do with a setting)

ToC is automatically created.

Any ideas on changing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you can't share a screen capture of what's happening, but what about one where you have right-clicked the TOC element and revealed the properties?

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I was using Robohelp 11, but it seems to be working ok in Robohelp 15. Just tried it.

Thanks

Simone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp