Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install Microsoft HTML Help 1.4?

Feb 13, 2008 Feb 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client tells me that they have installed Robohelp on six machines, but the install asked for Microsoft HTML Help 1.4 to be installed. I have not come across this myself, but can anyone explain what it might mean, and what action is required?
TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008
Thanks Pete.

It wasn't a hardcore user; it was just an I.T. Technician installing RH6 software, and he wrote, "The install asked for Microsoft HTML Help 1.4 to be installed" - and they asked my advice. Perhaps the installation routine could give more meaningful information so that it doesn't waste people's time. Let's hope RH7 is better.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH uses Microsoft HTML Help to generate CHMs so if the client PCs haven't got it, it will have to be installed. They must have not installed this Windows component initially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also suggests it is RH6 they are installing as previous versions and RH7 both install that automatically. I recall it can be tricky to install it. See previous posts on this forum. Search also under RoboHelp HTML.

Given the small upgrade cost from 6 to 7, they might find it more cost effective to upgrade!

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've run into this in several classroom scenarios. Basically, you simply need to download and install the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop (HHW). Note, however, that the version of HHW you will install will actually be slightly different than what RoboHelp HTML is asking for. As a result, RoboHelp will probably quibble a bit and say there is a mismatch. But ignore the message and things should be fine.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2008 Feb 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Have you any specific information, e.g. on the Adobe site, or in the RH Help Guide (if it's there, I couldn't find it,) so that I can pass on exactly where to download the file from? I don't want to point a customer at the wrong place. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find any reference to this problem - hence I put it on the forum here.
Does it need to be installed where you are compiling the CHM Help, or is it installed on the target user's system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user's system just needs the Microsoft Help Viewer, which I think comes on any Windows system. The Help Workshop is something you would need on your (help author/RH user's) system.

Go to Microsoft's site and search for HTML Help Workshop, and you should find it.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Adobe site and found " http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=rb_17381" but it leads to a 404 page.
I tried MS web site and found this link - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&Displa... - but it says it's version 1.0 released in 2003. So I was not much nearer...
Then I found http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms669985.aspx which says it's "HTML Help 1.4 SDK": is that the right one? It seems awfully tecchie for the average Tech Author to have to cope with.

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Philip,

Appearances to the contrary, the version of htmlhelp.exe that is available from the Microsoft Download Center is identical to the one available from the MSDN HTML Help Downloads area: 4.71.1015.0, to be precise. This dates all the way back to March 2000.

Microsoft subsequently released a hotfix ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294990) to correct a problem in HTML Help Workshop, but only those who edit their table of contents (.hhc) files in HTML Help Workshop itself will benefit from installing it.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip. The first link you gave is the correct one. It hasn't been upgraded for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I tried following the first MS link and it took me to the second one! I'll ask the cust to try that. It downloads v 4.71.1015.0 as Pete said. Odd that the RH install doesn't do that for you; not exactly user-friendly, is it?

I'll see how they get on with that. Thanks, gentlemen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woops! When it has unpacked, it says it is VERSION 1.3. The cust says the RH install asked for v1.4... So I stopped the installation. Will it work OK, or cause problems? I thought I had read something about this somwhere, and it caused probs...
Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way Pete, the link you gave for the hotfix goes to a dead page...
P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Philip,

Try the hyperlink again now that I've removed the trailing ")". Like I said, though, I wouldn't expect anyone except a hardcore HHW user to require this hotfix.

The situation with regard to versions of HTML Help and the compiler is more complicated than it needs to be, in my opinion. Essentially, the "1.4" refers to the runtime components that are used to open .chm files, and not to the compiler components used to build them. The compiler components haven't been updated since version 1.31 or 1.32.

In any event, I wouldn't expect the installer that you've downloaded to cause any problems. You may receive the following error message at the end of the installation process:

"This computer has a newer version of HTML Help"

This just means that the installer tried and failed to install older versions of the runtime components than those that you already have.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pete.

It wasn't a hardcore user; it was just an I.T. Technician installing RH6 software, and he wrote, "The install asked for Microsoft HTML Help 1.4 to be installed" - and they asked my advice. Perhaps the installation routine could give more meaningful information so that it doesn't waste people's time. Let's hope RH7 is better.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Philip

Let's hope RH7 is better

As I understand it, things should have improved. I'm told the RoboHelp 7 installer contains the Help Compiler bits too, so the end user (Help Author) shouldn't encounter these messages upon installing version 7.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp