• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 18 not uninstalling 17.x or older versions during upgrade

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use the same way to install acrobat flash.  I download the flash msi from adobe and run the update using the command line options:

MsiExec.exe /i "C:\temp\AutoInstaller\FLASHIE\full_flashplayer_win.msi" /qn

When running this command it installs version 18 which is fine, but does not uninstall any older version that was previously installed. 

In the past when updating to a newer version using this method the older version would automatically be removed.

Is there a new command to update and remove rather than just installing the new version?  Did something change?

What I do is that I have a startup script that looks at the version and if there is a new version download and installs it. In the past this was not an issue because it automatically remove the old version. I can use the WMIC to remove the old version, but then there could be a case of the script removing it, and the new version not installing correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Hi Minutemaid,

The fix will be included in the next scheduled monthly release.

Since 19.0.0.185 contains a number of security fixes (see Adobe Security Bulletin) I would recommend upgrading to it.  The only undesirable result is 2 entries in the Control Panel.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi richstingray23,

Looks like you're experiencing the issue described in this bug,Bug#4035695 - 18.0.0.232 is not removing major earlier versions (like 17.x).  If so, the previous version is indeed being uninstalled, however, the entry remains in the Control Panel.  This issue is being fixed in an upcoming release of Flash Player and the bug will be updated when the fix is released.

If you're issue is different, please file a bug and post the bug number here so that we may investigate further.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like version 19 came out today, and the same issue is happening.  I have version 18 installed, and when I install version 19 it is not removing 18.

Please help.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi richstingray23,

When you say "version 19 it is not removing 18" is it updating to version 19 but not removing version 18 from the Control Panel, or something else?  Please be specific so that we can investigate accordingly.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I install version 19, in control panel I have two versions installed, version 18 and version 19.  I can manually remove 18, but in the past it would remove the previous version after updating the the current version.

When scripting the update, it much simpler if it would automatically remove the old version.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi richstingray23,

This is definitely a bug as all previous versions should be removed (files and Control Panel entry).  I have escalated and will post updates here.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this today with the MSI update from 18.0.0.232 to 19.0.0.185 as well (Windows 7/8.1 x64). The previous major update from 17.0.0.188 to 18.0.0.160 did not show this behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kh76281,

We are working on a fix for this.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using SCUP to deploy the Flash updates and did not see the duplicate Control Panel entries issue with any previous versions.

However, lab testing the SCUP update 19.0.0.185 to workstations with 18.0.0.232 leaves two entries in Control Panel.  I verified the ActiveX was updated to 19.0.0.185.

Problems will arise for those using SCCM to measure Flash version.

Note: Adobe Flash Player 18.0  -  Bug 4035695 shows as closed.  What is the new Bug# for this specific issue?  Please keep us updated on the fix.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same phenomenon as described above, tested in the lab on multiple O/S. Previous version seems to hang around, whereas previously it would be removed when a greater version is installed.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Luke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing the same thing where the control panel shows versions 18 and 19 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

Is there an ETA for a new release that corrects this problem where the old version is not uninstalled when 19.0.0.185 is installed?

We too are holding back on pushing this to production until this is corrected - but if the fix from Adobe is not coming soon I may automated the removal of the old version prior to installing the new release.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Minutemaid,

The fix will be included in the next scheduled monthly release.

Since 19.0.0.185 contains a number of security fixes (see Adobe Security Bulletin) I would recommend upgrading to it.  The only undesirable result is 2 entries in the Control Panel.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem, when upgrading the Flash player V19 on Firefox / win7, I can still see V18 in the plugin list.

I had the same problem on previous versions of Firefox and Flash, and to solve it I had to manually remove folders and registry entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

This is due to a mistake in the MSI installer. If you open the MSI with Orca for instance and check the Upgrade table, you will see that the VersionMin and VersionMax are incorrect: The below image is an example of the current 19.0.0.185 plugin installer, but the same appears in the ActiveX installer.

flash_plugin_VersionUpgrade.jpg

In the ActiveX version of the 19.0.0.185 installer, I changed the VersionMin and VersionMax to the following:

FlashActX_VersionUpgrade_correction.jpg

Save the changes, re-ran my package with some older versions showing in add/remove programs. The installer successfully removed the older versions and installed the new one.

Warning! the above is not MSI best practice as you are tampering with the vendor installer - but its really fixing a rather basic mistake. These errors are also in the prvious release, which would explain the same issues.

Come on Adobe, these are basic Windows installer best practices! Stop practising and get it right first time!

I noticed a slight hiccup with the Plugin installer, looks like a very old version of the plugin is rocking the boat - getting error that the version I'm installing is older than the one already installed! Please fix that one up as well.

Thanks, and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This issue (upgrade using MSI is not removing previous version from Control Panel) has been fixed in today's Flash Player (19.0.0.207) release.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have confirmed that this is now fixed!

Thank you!

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix will be included in the next scheduled monthly release... SO YOU'RE SAYING I CAN NOT PLAY MY GAME FOR A MONTHS????? so i loose all a months worth of gifts on this game i play because flash player will not in stall. if i have to wait a month i will be pissed off.. revert back to the old flash player atleast it was working fine till this 19v update.. i am not pleased with this issue, i use firefox browser 41.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would an installer issue prevent you from using Flash Player...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chrisb78264839,

I second pwillener question?  How does this issue, with the MSI installer, prevent you from installing Flash Player and viewing Flash content?  If you're issue is not the same as the issue in this thread, please start a new thread and provide the information as listed in this FAQ: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195540‌.

Also, the 'next scheduled monthly release' is not months. Regularly scheduled monthly releases occur every month, on the second Tuesday.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrisb78264839

Please ignore my previous comment.

You're issue, as you posted here Re: flash player manager is a 3 inch blank window and It does not proceed to install flash player, is completely unrelated to what is on this thread (MSI upgrade is not completely removing the previous version). Please do not post on unrelated threads as it creates confusion.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

we have the same problem. I am using SCUP to publish updates and SCCM to deploy them.

The result is two versions in Control Panel / Programs and Features: 18 und 19 (ActiveX and NPAPI).

Please keep us updated on the fix.  Thank you!

Thanks, Pencho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines