• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM integration into HTMLHelp

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well for the moment, I have discarded the idea of migrating to Sandcastle - now I'm looking at going the other way. Sandcastle can output a CHM and I know I can import CHM topics through the HTML Help Studio (X5 utility), but what I would like to do is extract and imbed the whole thing in my HTML project so that the external CHM becomes just another "book" in my TOC with the same chapters and sub-topics as the original CHM.

I'm on RH X5. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thx,
Keith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a topic on my site about reverse engineering a CHM.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter!

As I understand the methods on your page, they create new RH projects. That would leave me with two RH projects, the Base and the CHM-Decompile. I've seen some things about merging projects (but have never done it), would that be the next step here in order the make the CHM-Decompile look like a seamless part of the Base project?

Thx again,
Keith

PS - Thanks also for your previous thoughts on migrating to Sandcastle - they had an impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 16, 2008 Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Keith,

The most straightforward solution would be to configure your Base .chm file so that the Sandcastle-generated .chm merges seamlessly into it at run time. That's to say, in the table of contents (TOC) for the Base .chm file, you'd add a link to the TOC in the Sandcastle .chm file. And you'd also need to modify the project settings for the Base .chm file so that the index and full-text search information for the Sandcastle .chm file are merged into it.

Although neither is RoboHelp-specific, the following articles give a good overview of the procedures involved:

http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/how_to_merge.htm
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms524251(VS.85).aspx

The result will be that, even though you're delivering two help files, the user will perceive them as a single, unified help system.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two options.

1] Import the topics now that you can get at them. You cannot import a TOC or Index but if you examine those files in Notepad, you could probably get the content merged via the backdoor.

2] Used merged help but note my method is about merged webhelp, not merged CHM help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp