Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Olympus EM-10 MkII Support?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a new Olympus EM-10 MkII and Lightroom 6.1.1 says that it's RAW files are unsupported. When will support be added for the EM-10 MkII?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get the MkII's .orf files recognized?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

You'd have to use the software provided by the manufacturer.

Most likely, the next release of Lightroom will support this camera, but I can't make any guarantees, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to use the software provided by the manufacturer.

Most likely, the next release of Lightroom will support this camera, but I can't make any guarantees, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

As suggested by Paige you can use the Company's software also you can check  this list that continuously gets updated Cameras supported by Camera Raw

The above link contains the complete list of cameras supported with respective version of Adobe Lightroom.

Thanks

Jitendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I would never use the Olympus supplied software. it is terrible. I may as well just use camera .jpg's for now.

I have been a Lightroom user since version 1. I'm just wondering if perhaps there might be a beta version that supports the MkII already or perhaps there is a way to edit the .orf file to make it work in LR 6.1.1 until the next release. I don't think the sensor has changed between the original EM-10 and the MkII.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Adobe software supports the raw from this camera, as of today. There is no beta version available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd because I just had the original E-M10 and just returned it for the Mark II.  Lightroom has no problem reading the .orf files from the E-M10.  The Mark II generates the same .orf files.

The Olympus software is terrible.  Only option is converting to a 50mb TIFF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every model camera’s photos must be analyzed by Adobe and a specific profile or profiles created for it. Even if the sensor is the same, there might be some small change in the electronics afterwards or the lens before that causes the pixels’ range of values or color or lens-distortions to be slightly different so each camera needs a new profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that makes sense.  Though still discouraging.  I just signed up for the CC photography membership and now I can't use it like I wanted.

Does Adobe update the Camera RAW and DNG Converter faster than Lightroom?  That would be a much better stopgap before Lightroom adds support instead of using the bad Olympus converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually these happen at the same speed. Sometimes the DNG converter is released a week or so before Lightroom updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks.

Better to take the time to do it right than rush something out too quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got an E-M10 Mark II and stumbled into this same issue. I'm using Lightroom 5.7 / DNG Converter 9.1.1.

I reasoned that since the MkII has the same sensor (heck even the same kit lens) as the original E-M10, if I could somehow trick LR/DNG into treating the ORF files as if they came from an (original) E-M10, things would probably work just fine.

Dumping the EXIF information from ORF files for both cameras I noted two importanted differences going from the old to new model: "Make" changed from "OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP." to "OLYMPUS CORPORATION", and "Camera Model Name" (as exiftool calls it) from "E-M10" to "E-M10MarkII".

First I tried to see if I could tinker with the Adobe .dct camera definition files to make LR/DNG accept the new files, but couldn't find any obvious way to do that.

Then I tried using exiftool to change the MkII .ORF files' EXIF data to appear as if they came from an original E-M10. That worked for changing "Make" but exiftool refused to change the "Camera" tag, saying it wasn't "writable".

So I said, "It's my file, I'll be the one to decide what's writable!" and used a binary/hex editor to change the camera model to "E-M10"... and presto! Both Lightroom and DNG converter now happily accept the modified MarkII ORF files!

I'm working on an app to do the conversion in a more user-friendly way. Should be ready in a day or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

viettamluu wrote:

I recently got an E-M10 Mark II and stumbled into this same issue. I'm using Lightroom 5.7 / DNG Converter 9.1.1.

I reasoned that since the MkII has the same sensor (heck even the same kit lens) as the original E-M10, if I could somehow trick LR/DNG into treating the ORF files as if they came from an (original) E-M10, things would probably work just fine.

Dumping the EXIF information from ORF files for both cameras I noted two importanted differences going from the old to new model: "Make" changed from "OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP." to "OLYMPUS CORPORATION", and "Camera Model Name" (as exiftool calls it) from "E-M10" to "E-M10MarkII".

First I tried to see if I could tinker with the Adobe .dct camera definition files to make LR/DNG accept the new files, but couldn't find any obvious way to do that.

Then I tried using exiftool to change the MkII .ORF files' EXIF data to appear as if they came from an original E-M10. That worked for changing "Make" but exiftool refused to change the "Camera" tag, saying it wasn't "writable".

So I said, "It's my file, I'll be the one to decide what's writable!" and used a binary/hex editor to change the camera model to "E-M10"... and presto! Both Lightroom and DNG converter now happily accept the modified MarkII ORF files!

I'm working on an app to do the conversion in a more user-friendly way. Should be ready in a day or two.

While it may be the same sensor, the information in the E-M10 Mark II .ORF files may be stored differently than the information in the E-M10 file, and so by doing this you are taking a risk that the information will not be properly read into Lightroom. Furthermore, Adobe will optimize the LR software to render the RAW images for the E-M10 Mark II files, and this may require different rendering than the E-M10 files.

So, yes, these are your files, but you are still taking risks by doing this.

Lastly, at least one reviewer says the sensors are different: Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Preview - CNET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige wrote:

While it may be the same sensor, the information in the E-M10 Mark II .ORF files may be stored differently than the information in the E-M10 file, and so by doing this you are taking a risk that the information will not be properly read into Lightroom. Furthermore, Adobe will optimize the LR software to render the RAW images for the E-M10 Mark II files, and this may require different rendering than the E-M10 files.

So, yes, these are your files, but you are still taking risks by doing this.

Lastly, at least one reviewer says the sensors are different: Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Preview - CNET

Fair enough, though I think you're giving Adobe a bit too much credit there. ("Optimize the LR software ... for the E-M10 Mark II files"... hahah!)

Granted, lack of evidence is hardly proof, but every other software I have (Photomatix, Picasa, etc.) have handled the MarkII ORFs perfectly, so I've seen no evidence the format has changed in any significant way.

I have a couple thousand test photos and will let you know how it goes. And will make backup copies, obviously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took a bit longer than I expected as I decided to give myself Windows programming refresher and C# primer in the process:

ORFConverter.png

Seems to be working well enough; Adobe DNG converter has crunched through about half of the 1800 files that I converted (my converter only has to whack a few dozen bytes in each file so is very fast, ~30 seconds to convert 1800 files / ~45 GB; Adobe DNG... I've no idea what it's doing--hopefully a lot of magic--but it's been at it for over an hour).

Anyway if you want give it a try: ORFConverter.zip - Google Drive

I tried making it a fancy signed Windows app installer package but that turned into a pointless boondoggle, at least for this app which is a mere 27 KB in size.

Obviously, make backup copies of your originals before trying it (the app can make backups as well; depends how much you trust it, I guess).

I'll release the source code as soon as I clear it with the relevant folks at my work (Google).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe occasionally does what you're doing in LR and ACR, pretend use another camera's profile for a very new camera, but internally in the software, calling it "preliminary support".

However, the colors can be slightly off, as compared with the actual new profiles have created for the new camera in the next release of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got my new EM-10MkII for a few day back I was out taking some pictures today and I could not understand what was wrong and found out that I also had to buy new LR since it supports only 6.2.
I'm really gratefully for you making this app. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@viettamluu Could you furnish source code please? Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be happy to. I have to go through my employer's official procedure to do so, and it's a minor hassle which is why I hadn't bothered before (also because I figured nobody was interested ), but I'll get the ball rolling on that today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working its way through the process now. If I did everything right it should show up at https://github.com/google/ORFConverter when it gets all the approvals. I will update here if/when that happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Done and done, source code is up on GitHub; apologies for the delay (final approval fell through the cracks for a couple weeks): google/ORFConverter · GitHub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

viettamluu wrote:

Hi, I am thankful to you for the tip, indeed changing camera model to E-M10 does the trick.

However I did not have any problem using exiftool for that - maybe there are different verions? I took the freeeware one by Phil Harvey: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

F:\conversion>dir

03.10.2015 14:31 <DIR> .

03.10.2015 14:31 <DIR> ..

21.09.2015 00:05 15 081 340 P9210003.ORF

21.09.2015 10:04 15 252 793 P9210004.ORF

21.09.2015 10:04 14 713 513 P9210005.ORF

21.09.2015 10:05 14 992 258 P9210006.ORF

21.09.2015 10:05 14 619 364 P9210007.ORF

F:\conversion>exiftool -Model=E-M10 *

5 image files updated

F:\conversion>dir

03.10.2015 14:32 <DIR> .

03.10.2015 14:32 <DIR> ..

03.10.2015 14:32 14 982 250 P9210003.ORF

21.09.2015 00:05 15 081 340 P9210003.ORF_original

03.10.2015 14:32 15 068 142 P9210004.ORF

21.09.2015 10:04 15 252 793 P9210004.ORF_original

03.10.2015 14:32 14 405 790 P9210005.ORF

21.09.2015 10:04 14 713 513 P9210005.ORF_original

03.10.2015 14:32 14 870 072 P9210006.ORF

21.09.2015 10:05 14 992 258 P9210006.ORF_original

03.10.2015 14:32 14 434 554 P9210007.ORF

21.09.2015 10:05 14 619 364 P9210007.ORF_original

LR has no trouble at all opening the converted ORF files.

Sorry you had to write the app for what's already been done, still I'm sure good programming exercise is never in vain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe website already lists the E-M10 II as being supported in LR 6.2, although as of Saturday noon Oct 3 in the US, LR 6.2 isn't available, yet:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's DNG converter 9.2 released today supports the E-M10 Mark II: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i agree to paige, you can obviously make use of software that will allow you to make the RAW files supported in your Olympus OM E-M10 Mark II. Let me also know if you find the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines