• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get two-page 11x17 layout into 8.5x11 PDF?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

I am working on a 11x17 brochure which will be folded to appear as 4 pages.  Naturally, I would also like to have the PDF so it "prints" into 4 separate pages.  However, I just cannot seem to figure out how to accomplish this.  I am using InDesign CS5 and my pages are sized to 11x17 in my document.

It seems this should be fairly straight forward to do.  If anyone can please explain what I am missing, I would really appreciate it.  At this point I am starting to conclude what I want is not possible to do without re-laying it out in a document with 8.5x11 pages.  Please tell me I am wrong!

Thank you for your time in advance,

Brent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to set up as 8.5 x 11 facing pages, not 11 x 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply, Peter.  Unfortunately, I suspected as much.  Given my current layout, I am indeed simply out of luck?

Also, will setting it up as 8.5x11 with facing pages still enable the printer to print full 11x17 sheets?

Thank you again,

Brent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, will the 8.5x11 facing page setup allow our printers to print full 11x17's ?  Seems this may cause issues in that regard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a new file, then copy and paste from the old into the new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, shucks.  Thank you for confirming my fears, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You printer should have no problem creating your booklet from the 8.5 x 11 pages. I always lay out that sort of brochure as 8.5 x 11 pages, and it has never created any issues for my printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kapriciouz wrote:

Also, will the 8.5x11 facing page setup allow our printers to print full 11x17's ?  Seems this may cause issues in that regard?

For 4 pages you have two options for setting up, two two-page spreads (4&1 and 2&3) or page1, then 2&3, and page 4. If you use the first method, be sure to check the "spreads" box in the print dialog. If you do the second, Use File > Print Booklet... to impose into two 11 x 17 pages. This method will allow you to lay out any document in multiples of 4 pages and see them as the reader does, which is MUCH easier when you have more than two spreads.

If you want to make PDFs for distibution or to hand off to a commercial printer, the second method is also preferred (you get single pages in consectutive order, as long as you don't choose PDF (Interactive), but that's a different discussion that we can have if you need it). If you need to make PDF to print in-house on 11 x 17, tell us about your ID version number and the OS, and we can offer answers for how to do that, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have inDesign yet, and am using CS4 Acrobat Pro and this is how I've done it in the past.

Go to Document --> Crop Pages or just press Shift+Ctrl+T. Then under Margin Controls set them all to "0" except for  the left, which should be 8.5 inches. Hit OK and temporarily save as a new file name.

Go back to original file and repeat above process for right side and save under another new file name. You can now go to Document --> Insert Pages and insert the first page before this page. Save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my klugey solution:

1) Print the file to the Adobe PDF maker

2) For "Page Sizing & Handling", select "Poster". I set the Overlap to 0 in, and reduced the scale until each 11x17 page fit onto two 8.5x11 pages

3) Click "Print" and save to a new file

You then have to manually go and reorder the pages -- easiest way is to split the pdf into separate files, one page per file, then recombine them in the correct order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I accomplished this by doing the following:

1. File > Print. Printer: Adobe PDF
  2. Page Scaling: Tile Large Pages
  3. Tile Scale: 100% Overlap: 0 in.
  4. OK to create the PDF.

With this method, I did not have to manually reorder the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked perfect for me! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines