• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML view changes – to &endash;

Nov 16, 2007 Nov 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from RoboHelp 5 to version
7. I upgraded my projects. When I switch from the Design view to the HTML view (so I could see the HTML sytax), I see that the n-
dashes have been changed from – to &endash; . When I generate
the Web Help, the output files show a literal &endash (IE and
Firefox). So I did a search and replace on all topics to change them
all to – That worked. The problem is that anytime I go back to
the HTML view for a topic it immediately changes the n dashes back to
&endash . I beleive &endash; is valid XML but not HTML which makes me think I need to adjust a setting somewhere. I opened the sample projects, created an – and the same change occurred. Thanks for any assistance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem but mine also includes ’ turning into ’r;.

Displayed in the design screen it looks like this: ’r;User.Name’ when it should look like this: ‘User.Name’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks NJV20! I thought it was something I was doing - I have the same problem with the quotes. and the multi-file find and replace function doesn't find them, or at least it doesn't for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled upon the solution. In the Design view, I selected my n-dash, then clicked the Insert menu, selected HTML and then selected Symbol. When I went to the HTML view I discovered that RoboHELP had inserted the tag <symbol name="En Dash"><robohelp>&#8211;</robohelp> . The 8211 is a reference to the unicode character for the n-dash. I did a search and replace of all my topics to change &ndash; and &endash; to the RoboHelp tag <symbol name="En Dash"><robohelp>&#8211;</robohelp>. I had the same issue with the left quotes being converted to r;. If you view the HTML you will see that r; is being added to the right quote tag. To fix that, I replaced all instances of &rdquo; and &rdquo;r; and &ldquo; with a simple quote: &quot;.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2007 Dec 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed the same problem after upgrading my RoboHelp projects from RoboHelp X5 to RoboHelp 7 (&endash; and &rdquo; and &rdquo;r; showing up in the FlashHelp and printed docs). Could the people at RoboHelp please let us know that this is a Known Issue when upgrading! I'm thankful to zappy0 for posting the workaround, but it is definitely an awful bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found this in my output (FlashHelp and Word doc): &ldots; (which is an ellipses). I replaced it with <symbol name=Ellipsis style="font-weight: bold;"><robohelp>&#8230;</robohelp> (from selecting the ellipses in the design view (mine is bold so you may need to modify), then replacing it in RoboHelp with the Multi-File Find and Replace tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say this is tantamount to corrupting my entire project. Here's another one: I'm finding this now in the text: "r;users;" which should be "users" without the two semi-colons. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to anyone else who has upgraded a project from X5 to 7. I've spent an entire day going through hundreds of topics -- some I can fix with the multi-file find and replace too, others, like the one above, I have to manually fix. Adobe: this is making me 2 days late on a huge deadline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. Thanks for your tip on the ellipses. I did not even think to check those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been working remotely when I upgraded my projects from X5 to 7 (via VPN to our Citrix server). I thought working over a network might have caused the problem. So I just tested upgrading the project just on my hard drive, and I'm still getting the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this has something to do with converting projects from a previous version. I used to have RHX5 and then RH6 and never had these problems. But ever since upgrading from RH6 to RH7, these symbols, at least in my case, are displayed literally now in all my outputs. Unfortunately, some of these look fine inside the WYSIWYG editor (Design view) which makes them difficult to catch. (see Literally Displayed Characters in the code below).

There are likely others that I haven't caught.

How to fix them? Do a find and replace using a tool that allows you to search among multiple files in subdirectories. (I used FAR HTML to do this.) Replace all instances of the literally displayed characters with the code in RH Symbol Tags in the code below:

Hopefully Adobe patches RH 7 to fix this and other bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know that Adobe are aware of this.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2008 Feb 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know when a patch for this bug would be available? For us it might be a deal breaker for RH7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum

I'm trying to find out. I thought it was going to be in the patch that has just been released but it is not listed.

I'm not sure either if you can patch the trial version. Maybe you could try that if you are unable to wait while I enquire.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I really appreciate your quick reply. Would you point me to the patch link? The only one I found was about one very specific security issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had it confirmed this issue was fixed in the patch.

You have to open RH7 and go to Help | Updates. That's the bit I am not sure about, that you can update the trial version. I would expect a new version of the trial to become available but it might not be there yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm told the patch can be applied to the trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2008 Feb 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I successfully downloaded the patch to my trial RH7 version via Help/Updates and did some spot testing. The conversion issues have been fixed at least for rdquor, endash and ldots. I assume they have been fixed for other literal characters as well.
BTW, I had the same issue with literal characters when importing Microsoft Word documents. This has been fixed as well, both for .doc and .docx formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We ran the Help/Update patch, but the problem persists. Does anyone know of another approach?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the patch fixes some of these but not all. I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember seeing this crop up in an RH project I created a few days ago by importing it from a generic .hhp project.

See my post above on finding and replacing your HTML code. That's what I would do if the patch doesn't seem to be fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patch does not correct the problem after upgrading. What it does do is allow you to upgrade without the problem occurring.

Your options are to upgrade the project again after applying the patch OR use a Find and Replace tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In upgrading X5 projects to the trial version of RH7 the patch does work if the patch is loaded before the upgrade is completed as stated. However, if changes are made in the RH7 for Word project and that HPJ is imported to a RH7 web help project, the problem returns (We work with SMEs who prefer to use Word docs). BTW - During the HPJ import process you are prompted to use the existing XPJ - yes or no. We have tested both with the same result.

Also when using the Search function in the final web help project, there is an unlabeled check box below the text entry field. Is there a way to add a label to the check box?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2008 Mar 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing that RoboHelp 7 doesn't recognize is Word's "smart" [curved] quotes." RoboHelp gracefully accepts only straight quotation marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2008 Apr 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encountered this bug and found it quite unpleasant. The damage is done when you convert a project to Robohelp 7. When you migrate to RH7, be sure to update (Help > Update) before you open a project.

The update apparently includes a repair facility; if you open a "damaged" topic in Design (old WYSIWYG) the non-HTML tags like &endash; will be repaired but not saved; I carried out a null edit (space-backspace) to force a save.

To discover damaged topics you can use Multi-File Search and Replace if you know what tags to search for (as far as I know JaredHess's list is complete); or you can make a printed document of your entire project and search that for the ampersand (&).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole thing is getting pretty strange. I have RH7 and my project was converted from RH6. I am having trouble with quotes. I first noticed the problem when I generated an MS Word document and observed that the left quotes were showing up as "&rdquor;". After doing some research on the web, I discovered that the html escape sequence for left quote should be "&ldquo;". I then used the Multi-file Find and Replace and changed 255 instances of "&rdquor" to "&ldquo". If I look at a file containing left and right quotes in Notepad, the escape sequences are correct, i.e., "&ldquo" for left quote and "&rdquo" for right quote. However, if I open one of the files in the WYSIWYG editor in RH, it renders correctly, but when I switch to HTML view, the "&ldquo" has been replaced by "&rdquor".

I also tried doing Help > Updates and got no response.

This is very frustrating.

Bob Boller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole thing is getting pretty strange. I have RH7 and my project was
converted from RH6. I am having trouble with quotes. I first noticed the
problem when I generated an MS Word document and observed that the left quotes
were showing up as "&rdquor;". After doing some research on the web, I
discovered that the html escape sequence for left quote should be "&ldquo;". I
then used the Multi-file Find and Replace and changed 255 instances of
"&rdquor" to "&ldquo". If I look at a file containing left and right quotes in
Notepad, the escape sequences are correct, i.e., "&ldquo" for left quote and
"&rdquo" for right quote. However, if I open one of the files in the WYSIWYG
editor in RH, it renders correctly, but when I switch to HTML view, the
"&ldquo" has been replaced by "&rdquor".

I also tried doing Help > Updates and got no response.

This is very frustrating.

Bob Boller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp