Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 7 HTML hangs

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to RoboHelp.
After install ok, run RoboHelp 7 for HTML, I get the splash screen with message "Version control init", then nothing more.

RoboHelp for Word works OK.
Calling RoboHelp HTML from roboHelp for word hangs too.

Thanks for help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2008 Feb 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem. Were you able to fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2008 Feb 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the complete Technical Communications suite a number of times. Memory upgrade did nothing to help.

I also had Madcap Flare installed, and have uninstalled that.

Still nothing - I can open up everything else in the suite but RoboHTML.

What can be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TCS and RH can happily co-exist. I have both on one machine.

Was virus and spyware checking disabled during the install?

Was your logon used and did it have admin rights attached? With RH7 I understand it can also be installed by an administrator?

What's the operating system?

Are we talking about a full version, an upgrade or a trial?

Rather more information would help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and is any version control involved?

Exactly when does it hang? Do you get beyond double clicking the icon?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2008 Feb 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was virus and spyware checking disabled during the install? No - I'm not sure that I can do that at this company. I will have to check with my helpdesk. Other writers on my team, however, have also installed without turning off the virus checking, and they are not having the same problem.

Yes, my login has Admin rights on the machine. I'll check and make sure - couldn't hurt.

Operating system is Windows XP.

Should be talking about the full version of the technical suite, not an upgrade.

We use OmniWorks for version control here. When one of the other writers here opens RoboHTML, I see the OmniWorks splash screen display while RH is opening.

The app hangs when it's trying to open. The splash screen displays, loads the drivers and OLE stuff, and then hangs on "Initializing Version Control" I've let it run - or not run - for several hours, and it never goes past this point.

What did you mean when you said that TCS and RH can happily co-exist? I thought I was installing RoboHTML as part of the technical suite.

Thanks!
Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say that TCS and Flare can co-exist. You had said you had removed that. Sorry about that.

If this is happening on the first opening of RH after installation, surely it would not know about OmniWorks. I wonder if you also installed RoboSourceControl and that is causing a problem. Have you tried installing without selecting that? Sorry but source control is not my area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the suite both with and without the RoboSourceControl.

Maybe it's time to try without the virus software on. I think there was another message with that type of problem.

What do you think? Is there something I can look for in my virus scan logs that might help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you install without source control, can you open the supplied projects that are on your hard disk and not under any version control?

As far as the logs are concerned, any reference to Adobe or RoboHelp and entries at the time you were installing. In the topic on my site about Using RH7, there is a link to a troubleshooting guide that Adobe prepared. It might be worth looking at that.

Is there nothing you can identify that is different about your machine and your colleague's where it works OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open any projects no matter what I install or don't install. I also don't have any projects right now that aren't under version control (OmniWorks).

The only difference we can think of between the machines is that I have Flare installed, and the other writers do not.

I'll see what I can find on your web site and in the troubleshooting guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, I really don't think Flare is the issue here.

I understand you cannot open any source controlled projects but can you at least open RH? When it asks you to point to a project, click Open and on the left you will see Samples. Can you open one of those?

What I am trying to establish is that RH is falling over at the point where you attempt to use OmniWorks. I am not blaming that, just trying to find out exactly where the hanging occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I can't open anything. I double-click on the RoboHTML icon, and it hangs. Doesn't matter if I double click on my project's .xpj file, or if I double-click on the application icon. Nothing happens past the splash screen.

Eventually, I right-click on the icon on my task bar and choose Close, at which time I am informed that RoboHTML is not responding.

So I'm not sure it's an issue with OmniWorks.

BTW, I did check, and I have full Administrator's access on my machine.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree with you now that is clarified.

Do the other components of TCS open OK?

What time zone are you in? I'm thinking about an Acrobat Connect session that would allow me to see your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Hopefully my dear colleague Peter will forgive me for offering a possibly hare brained idea here.

The Adobe Captivate product sometimes exhibits a similar behavior if the PC is connected to the internet. So one thing to try would be to see if you disconnect from any networking whatsoever (Just try briefly disconnecting the LAN cable from the PC) and try starting RoboHelp with the cable disconnected.

I'm not suggesting this is the workaround you need or that it would be normal to have to do this, but it may help further isolate what is happening here.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the other components open OK.

I just got off the phone with tech support, and they've asked me to have our IT department log on to my machine with a different Admin account to see if the app opens. I'll have to check to see if I can do an Adobe Connect session.

Give me a few minutes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Rick's suggestion first. Then what Adobe have suggested.

Post back after that. If we do go for Connect, you are in full control. You can always see what I am doing and can terminate it instantly at any point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a try.

Back in a few...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it while not connected, and that still didn't work.

One of the guys from my IT group is supposed to come up and take a look. When the help desk looked around, they were concerned that it isn't working because of RoboSource Control. When you look at the properties for RoboHelp HTML, there's an <error> on the RoboSource Control folder, but it's that way for the other applications, too.

They also wondered if RoboHelp HTML isn't installed correctly.

Do you all know what file RH is looking for when it's initializing version control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I thought you had exactly the same problem when you installed without RSC. Also why install it if you don't use it?

I think we will all find it much easier to uninstall whatever you have installed including RSControl.

Then start over without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2008 Feb 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in status - last week was very busy...

Today support came up to investigate.

When he logged in using Safe mode and the Administrator login, he got somewhere, but not very far. He was also connected to the network.

He got an error message about not being able to configure with RoboSource Control. He clicked OK, and it seemed that the application would open. However, then he got an error message that he's not authorized to use the application and that he should uninstall and reinstall.

He also tried to open the application while signed on as Administrator and not connected to the network, but the application hung again.

He's researching the error message now, but if anyone else has a suggestion, that'd be super!
Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2008 Jul 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
has anyone found the cause for this problem yet?
my colleague's having a similar problem. On some days, she can start RH normally. On other days, like today, it hangs when she tries to open it (immediately after double-clicking the button). No difference which of our projects she tries. There is no splash screen, but "Initializing version control" appears somewhere on the screen. The RoboHTML.exe process is started if you check the TaskManager, but nothing happens.
It is also an XP system, but we use Subversion for source control. I don't think it's related to that. There's three of us, and we all have the same installation of RH7, we all have full admin rights, we're on the same network, RoboSource was disabled during installation and we're not using it.
Strange.
Thanks, Kathrin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one of the supplied sample projects. Does that open as you would expect? That will give you a yardstick to compare with your source controlled projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,
thanks for the reply. The sample project doesn't open either. We'll look into this on Monday, maybe we can shed some light on the phenomenon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK TWSisters. I won't be around for a couple of weeks so hopefully someone else will pick this up.

It might be worth looking at item 15 at
http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh7/using_rh7.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2008 Jul 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
we solved the problem for us today. It turned out that RH doesn't really hang when you double-click the item, it just takes about half an hour to open the project. It seems that although we haven't even installed Source Control, RH looks into a certain Registry Key (see below) to get information about source control. In our case, this Registry Key referred to a network location that wasn't accessible. That's why it took ages until RH was ready to open the project. So here's what we did:
- Get Process Monitor tool from www.sysinternals.com
- Unzip and start it
- Filter events for "Process Name is RoboHelp.html" (Include) and "Path begins with \\" (Include)
- Verify that all network file access succeeds.
- In our case, an obsolete source code control provider configuration caused file access to a network location no longer exisiting
- Purged SCCP configuration in registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SourceCodeControlProvider:
- Delete ProviderRegKey item
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders:
- Delete all items

Bye,
Kathrin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp