Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 18 didn't uninstall completely

Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mozilla 41.0 was crashing a whole lot last 2 days, even with only 2 tabs open, closing the flash player helped very temporarily.  I checked & there was a flash update, so I updated but it didn't go smoothly.

At https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html, it shows the flash as updated.  Within Mozilla, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ shows that I need an update from Version 18. At about:addons, it shows both 18 & 19 running with both "always activate".  I manually de-activated 18 but when Firefox restarted it shows that both flash versions are still "always activate". 

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What OS version is this on?  What is the file name of the installer you used (we have several different installer files and this will identify the exact one you are using).

Was Firefox open when you upgraded from 18 to 19?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the assist, Maria.

It's Win 7 x64.  I believe I tried it both ways (first with Firefox open and then with it closed) but am not 100% sure.

{I've since gone back & closed Firefox, started the installer, & let it reinstall.  I didn't get any "you already have this installed" message, seemed to install fine.  Didn't change any of the issues mentioned in original email.}

Here's what I used per my downloaded file: https://admdownload.adobe.com/bin/live/flashplayer19_ha_install.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tonib12,

Launch Firefox and go to about:plugins.  Look for the Flash Player version 18 entry.  What is the path to this file?  Go to this path and delete the file.  Restart Firefox.  Does it still detect the two versions?

You can perform a clean install:

1. Download the uninstaller from Uninstall Flash Player | Windows - make note of the location the file was saved to
  2. Download the installer from get.adobe.com/flashplayer using Firefox - make note of the location the file was saved to
  3. Close ALL browsers and apps that may use Flash Player
  4. Run the uninstaller
  5. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
    • Ensure the only file listed is FlashInstall.log file
    • If there are other files, such as FlashUtil or NPSWF manually delete them
  6. Go C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    • Ensure the only files listed are mms.cfg and FlashInstall.log
      • If you have certain other Adobe products installed (e.g. Flash Pro, Flash Builder) you may have other .cfg files listed
    • If there are other files listed, such as FlashUtil, NPSWF, etc, manually delete them
  7. Reboot the computer
  8. Run the installer
  9. When installation completes, launch Firefox and check the plugin installed
    • It should only detect version 19, if it continues to detect version 18, I suspect something is wrong with Firefox and it is not unloading the previous version.  In this case, I recommend going to the Firefox forums/support for assistance.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Maria.

That did it - only Flash 19 right now.  However Firefox started crashing again regularly which it hadn't been doing as much since I had installled Flash 19.  Might need to do the clean reinstall after all. Your directions will be very helpful.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines