• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disappearing/Reappearing CHM files, Part II

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem before and thought, with Colum's help, that I'd figured it out. Seems I was wrong. Here's the original thread for reference:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=449&threadid=1319556&h...

A week or so ago, I needed to change the name of my CHM files for my main project and several subprojects. I opened each project, and on the Project Manager tab, expanded the Single Source Layouts folder. I right-clicked the Microsoft HTML Help (Primary Layout) file and selected Properties. In the HTML Help Options in the Select Output Folder and File Name field, I change the file name from OLD.chm to NEW.chm for each of my projects.

Yesterday and today, I've been making changes to content in my projects. On the TOC of the main project, I deleted the merged topic links and recreated them, pointing to the latest versions of the subprojects' new CHM files (after compiling the CHM files for each subproject).

Then I compiled the CHM for the master project and checked in the !SSL! folder. Not only are my new CHM files present but *all of the old* CHM files as well. I deleted the links from the master project's TOC, recompiled (after manually deleting the old CHM files from the master's !SSL! folder, and the old CHMs come back.

I know I must be missing something simple, but unfortunately, I can't figure out what it is. Suggestion, please. Thanks.

-Trip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008
Have you done a search through the entire project to ensure your old CHM file names are not referenced anywhere? Are they in the baggage files? My guess is that is you open up your master project's .HHP file in Notepad you will find the old file names there in the [MERGE FILES] section near the bottom of the file. If you definitlely don't have any other references to them you can manually remove them from the .HHP file and try compiling again. The usual warnings about taking backups, sacrificing...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you done a search through the entire project to ensure your old CHM file names are not referenced anywhere? Are they in the baggage files? My guess is that is you open up your master project's .HHP file in Notepad you will find the old file names there in the [MERGE FILES] section near the bottom of the file. If you definitlely don't have any other references to them you can manually remove them from the .HHP file and try compiling again. The usual warnings about taking backups, sacrificing goats, etc. need emphasising when editing any of the project's files outside RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had links in topics that point back to the old CHM names, would that be sufficient to regenerate them? I've found some of these links ready and have had to recreate them. If this is the cause, then I'll need to manually recreate all of my links, which will be a bit of a chore.

BTW, you called it. I opened up the Baggage Files folder and the old CHM names are all present. There are red "Xs" by those names and went I try to open them, I get a message stating "File Not Found".

I opened the .HHP file in Notepad and all of the old file names were present. Everything is backed up in Subversion, (I just committed the changes this morning) so will remove the names from the [MERGE FILES] section, save the changes and compile again (I don't seem to have a goat handy to sacrifice, unfortunately).

I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes (if you hear a loud, anguished scream...you'll know something went wrong).

Thanks.

-Trip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gave it a whirl and it all worked out fine. Blew away the unwanted CHM file names in the .HHP file, recreated the merged linked and recompiled and it all works. No unwanted CHM files re-emerge. Thanks again, Colum. Have a good weekend.

-Trip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Indeed I will. You will too now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp