Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scrubby Zoom on Illustrator CC?

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Is there any script, plugin or even native way to use the Scrubby Zoom feature in Illustrator CC?

This feature is the zoom by dragging the mouse while clicking and pressing the "Z" key. You can see how this works in Photoshop (I think its the only application from Adobe that has this feature).

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Looks like your wish has been granted -

CC 2014 now has scrubby zoom, when in GPU preview mode.

Too bad it switches back to marquee zoom when in outlines view, which I spend half my time in.

It's a little shaky. Once you release the mouse, the view can snap back awkwardly so your artboards are all as a group horizontally aligned in Illustrator's canvas, which I really hate.

But's it is nice to see scrubby zoom in Illustrator now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like your wish has been granted -

CC 2014 now has scrubby zoom, when in GPU preview mode.

Too bad it switches back to marquee zoom when in outlines view, which I spend half my time in.

It's a little shaky. Once you release the mouse, the view can snap back awkwardly so your artboards are all as a group horizontally aligned in Illustrator's canvas, which I really hate.

But's it is nice to see scrubby zoom in Illustrator now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, how do we "DISABLE" it? I can't seem to find the option anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... as soon as I posted this, I found it...Under Preferences/Experimental Feature/Animated Zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Experimental Feature" in my Preferences... is that maybe Windows only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Windows only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - thanks... bummer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found "Animated Zoom" under GPU Performance on my Mac, but this helped me locate it! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All was ok with animated zoom, is just great but until I change graphic card, now I have one more better but is not Nvidia....and animated zoom works only wiht nvidia cards.....this is not fair at all....hope in near future will be for all graphic cards....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I had this same issue but none of the above worked for me. I can't find any "Experimental Feature" anywhere, but I am running Windows. For me it was actually because of the compatible GPU preview mode, which this thread helped me figure out! I went to Preferences > GPU Performance > unchecked Enable Animated Zoom.

YES! Scrubby zoom was driving me crazy! Back to marquee zoom for me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but "GPU Performance" is IN the "Experimental Feature" tab in prefs.

For anyone needing a visual pointer:

experimentalfeature-01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it isn't.  Not on Win 8, latest CC update, GeForce GTX 750.

Here's my own visual, since I suspect you will want proof.  Apparently mine is not "experimental."

Screenshot 2014-10-28 17.37.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh haha, interesting.

Things used to be so simple . . .

Glad you clarified that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks guys!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IT turns itself off frequently if it detects complex graphics. But then I open a new file and can't get it to turn back on. I have to reset preferences to get it to work again. The animated zoom IS checked in the preferences dialog by the way, it just keeps doing marquee zoom anyway, even when animated zoom is checked and GPU performance enabled. Why is Adobe so buggy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines