• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot restart numbering for sublist

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if the problem is my ignorance about CSS or RoboHelp styles.

I have a multi-level list where the first level uses numbers and the second level uses letters. For example:

1. Step 1

a. Substep a

b. Substep b

2. Step 2

3. Step 3

c. Substep a

d. Substep b

4. Step 4

I want the sublist under Step 3 to start at a. I created these really nice styles that look beautiful (List-Number-1 and List-Number-2), but RH clearly treats each item associated with each style as a giant list. When I try to right-click and choose Bullets and Numbering, it says that the list restarts at 1, but that particular item obviously did not get the memo.

When I look at the HTML, I expected something different. I expected to see <OL> tags, but I have something unfamiliar to me. Here is what the HTML looks like:

<?rh-list_start class="rl-P-List-Number-1" an="1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 1</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start an="1" class="rl-P-List-Number-2" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-2">Substep a</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start an="1" class="rl-P-List-Number-2" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-2">Substep b</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start class="rl-P-List-Number-1" an="1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 2</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start class="rl-P-List-Number-1" an="1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 3</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-P-List-Number-2" style="list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-2">Substep a</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start an="1" class="rl-P-List-Number-2" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-2">Substep b</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start class="rl-P-List-Number-1" an="1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 4</p><?rh-list_end ?>

Is there something I can do to force the list to restart numbering in the middle?

This was a project that was created in RH 9 and is now being edited in RH 12, if that should make a difference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Rh12 I take it you mean Rh2015.

Numbering will continue but there is an option when that happens to Restart Numbering. Right click in 3c and you should see it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that, and it indicates that Restart Numbering is still turned on.

Oh, but on a lark, I decided to choose List Style from my right-click menu. There is also the option to restart. This looks like it's possibly sticking. Now my HTML looks like this:

<?rh-list_start class="rl-P-List-Number-1" an="1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 1</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start an="1" class="rl-P-List-Number-2" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-2">Substep a</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start class="rl-P-List-Number-1" an="1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 2</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start class="rl-P-List-Number-1" an="1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 3</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-P-List-Number-2" start="1" ?><p class="List-Number-2">Substep a</p><?rh-list_end ?>

<?rh-list_start an="1" class="rl-P-List-Number-1" level="1" style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="List-Number-1">Step 4</p><?rh-list_end ?>

Which is interesting because the tag for step 3a is smaller. It does have list_start level and start. I tried adding start before, but I put it in the <p> tag and not the <?rh-list> tag. That latter tag is really messing me up. I'm not familiar with it at all. I'll have to look that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not following how you can see the numbering as "still turned on". Can you add a screenshot of that please?

If you right click at 3c there should be an option Bullets and Numbering. There is restart option in the dialog that appears.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that the renumbering has been fixed, I don't have an example to show anymore.

But the steps I took were:

1. Right-click on list item that needs to restart (i.e., 3c).
  2. Select Bullets and Numbering from the right-click menu.
  3. See that the check box for the restart option.

But where Bullets and Numbering did not work, it seems so far that List Style works. I don't recall seeing this in RH 9. Is this new to 2015, or has it been available prior to this? Here is what I see when I right-click on a number list:

rh list style popup.png

Here is a side-by-side comparison of both dialog boxes. Both of them contain an option to restart numbering, but only the List Style dialog seems to work in the case of these styles I have.

rh comparison.png

Typically, the Bullets and Numbering menu item is all I need. It's done very well, but I think it might depend on how the style is defined in the project? We have several projects created anywhere from RH 3 to RH 9, so some styles seem to act differently. For example, this situation where Bullets and Numbering doesn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lists changed a lot at Rh8 so that could be part of the problem. There is a page on my site about that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, yes, I think that may be true. Most of our help files were created in RH 3. The incident that prompted me to start this topic was a help file that I remember creating in RH 9. This latest upgrade will probably prompt us for some much-needed auditing of our help files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp