• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Picture turns grey after I open them in preview on a Mac.

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open an exported image in preview (I'm on a mac), the picture only flashes before it turns grey (like the preview background color), and this only happens in preview, I can view them in Safari. This only happens to some of the images, and what they seem to have in common is that I've also edited them in Photoshop. One of the pictures that turns grey "worked" before, and now all of a sudden the same file turns grey on me along with the more newly exported ones. Would appreciate some help! Anyone got any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Hi antonfischer,

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi antonfischer,

Greetings.

• What happens if you open the same images in PS
  • Which version of PS and Mac are you using
  • Could you please post one image in here, if that is fine with you.

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings.

When I open it (a .jpg) in Photoshop, it opens as normally.

Photoshop 2015.0.1 (should be the latest) and OS X El Capitan on a Macbook Pro Retina

Also, I've tried to re-export the images without success.

Baksida Hus Multilager Master.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi antonfischer,

I need a bit of more information.

1. What happens if you open an exported images (never processed in PS)
  2. What if you open any image directly in Preview (images on which neither PS or LR are used)
  3. For me it seems like more of a preview issue, can you try opening the same images on any other applications(for testing), like Picasa

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rohit,

Ok! Thank you for your reply.

1. It seems as if it is the layers that are a causing factor. Some images I can open that have been processed in Photoshop as well, but only if it had like one or two layers. With my other documents (the ones that I can't open) I have several layers (ranging from 10-20). All the images that haven't been processed in Photoshop I can open.
  2. I can open images that haven't been processed in PS or LR no problem, right now however, when I opened a .ARW-file in preview, Lightroom crashed. I have been getting these crashes mostly when I export files, thought they were unrelated but maybe not? (I tried exporting 20 images into a folder where the same but less edited photos were, so I told LR to over-write the files. Kept crashing however, tried it like 3-4 times but ended up having to delete the files manually, then it worked to just export regularly) Tried opening more .ARW-files with LR open, didn't crash, probably just a coincidence. Would be very weird if the crashes are related.
  3. Yeah that's possible, just don't understand why these files! But tried opening it in Chrome and Safari, also on my iPhone and in Pictures on my computer, all worked.

Regards,

Anton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi antonfischer,

• By what you are saying it seems like you are opening a .psd n Preview and that can cause issues because of the color space, as i believe preview will not be able to read the default color space of PS.
  • Try this
    • Open one of the files that appears grey in preview.
    • Now click on file save as and then save the image as jpeg.
    • Now open the file in preview and see if it appears grey or not.

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rpandita,

I've triple checked that the file is indeed a .jpg, unless it somehow ends with .jpg anyway, but that shouldn't be possible?

Tried exporting it as a jpg from preview anyway, still the same problem with the new file. Any other ideas of what could be the issue?

Regards,

antonfischer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi antonfischer,

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi rpandita,

Yes, thank you, that solves it. So just a problem with preview after all. Thanks alot for your help.

Regards,

antonfischer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines