• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have the new Sony RX-100 IV and Lightroom cannot view the ARW files. Does it require an update to Camera Raw, or is it something else?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import dialogue says that it can't preview the files and then when I click import, I get a dialogue indicating that the file isn't supported by the raw format in Lightroom. Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 4.41.26 pm.png

Is this something that will be updated at some point? Can anyone say when it will happen? These cameras are out in the wild and would be good to be able to manage my photos through Lightroom.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Hi All,

We're happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 & Lightroom CC 1.5.

This update includes the support for Sony RX100 VI (DSC-RX100M6) camera.

Here's the list of what's new in this release:

Lightroom Classic CC 7.5: New features summary for the October 2017 and later releases of Lightroom Classic CC

Lightroom CC 1.5: New features summary for the October 2017 and later releases of Lightroom CC across devices

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this list of supported cameras (Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras) that model is not yet supported. It will probably be supported in the next update of Lightroom CC/6, but if you are using an older version of Lightroom there will not be an update that will accommodate that camera. However, when the new updates are released there will be a new DNG converter that you can use to create DNG copies of your files. What version of Lightroom are you using?

Incidentally, the Camera Raw plug-in has no effect on Lightroom. All of the raw technology is built in to the program itself. When you see a Camera Raw version mentioned in the Lightroom context, it is merely stating the latest version of Camera Raw that Lightroom is compatible with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim - I'm on CC and add the updates as they roll out, so I guess I'll just have to wait until the new patch is ready. I was kind of hoping someone from Adobe might be able to chime in and give a rough estimate of timing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was kind of hoping someone from Adobe might be able to chime in and give a rough estimate of timing.

Unfortunately that never, ever happens.

When Adobe is ready to release patches and updates, they release them with no announcements until the day of release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is taking so long. Now that Adobe is doing a subscription model, I really expect these updates to happen much quicker. I have been sitting on my RX100IV for 2 weeks and still can't use LR CC to process my RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really expect these updates to happen much quicker.

I think your expectation is incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - you're absolutely right - this is just taking too long. Please, someone at Adobe respond and let us know what is happening. Raw format updates for popular cameras should be available in software before or immediately after the release of those cameras. Not weeks/months later! It makes the subscription model look a little purposeless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Albson wrote:

Yes - you're absolutely right - this is just taking too long. Please, someone at Adobe respond and let us know what is happening. Raw format updates for popular cameras should be available in software before or immediately after the release of those cameras. Not weeks/months later! It makes the subscription model look a little purposeless.

I don't ever think the purpose of the subscription model was to put out faster or immediate new camera updates. I've never seen Adobe say such a thing. And once the camera is released, Adobe has to "deconstruct" the RAW file so it can be deciphered and used in Adobe software without problems. That takes time. It can't be done "immediately" and it certainly can't be done before the camera is released.

By the way, you're not talking to Adobe here in this forum, we're just Lightroom users. We can't tell you what is happening, and Adobe themselves never respond to this sort of request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From their FAQ:

Q:  How often will Adobe be updating or adding new features to the applications in Creative Cloud?

A:  We plan to deliver additional value by adding exclusive new features and updates to Creative Cloud on a regular and ongoing basis.

Interestingly enough, the link to the Regular and Ongoing Basis has been removed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's the only evidence we have.

Lightroom CC 2015/Lightroom 6 was released on April 21, 2015

Lightroom CC 2015.1/Lightroom 6.1 was released on Jun 15, 2015, that's slightly less than two months between releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets hope that the next release will come soon and I surely hope it supports the A7R II as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to disagree. One of the major selling points of the software subscription model is feature updates specifically to support 3rd party product development. And I would assume, if Sony and Adobe have a good working relationship, that Adobe should have been seeded the format before the cameras were released. It's not in either company's interest to have one not work with the other. I mean, who wants a camera with images that can't be edited? And who wants software that can't read certain formats?

And regarding Adobe responding to requests like this. I don't spend much time on the LR forums, but I do spend time in other Adobe Forums and see employees speaking directly to issues like this all the time. I don't see why LR should be any different. Forums are both a place for users to engage with each other, and for staff to observe and engage with the people funding their products.

In the absence of comments from Adobe - yes - let's just hope it comes soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the major selling points of the software subscription model is feature updates specifically to support 3rd party product development.

That is your statement, but what is the evidence from Adobe that indicates it is true. I am not aware of any.

And I would assume, if Sony and Adobe have a good working relationship,

If the question is: does Adobe knows or does not know the format of Sony raw files before a camera is released, I believe that Adobe does not know and will not start working on figuring out this format until production models are available.

It's not in either company's interest to have one not work with the other.

As far as I know, all the camera manufacturers believe that it is indeed in their best interest not to work with Adobe on this issue, so they can sell their own software.

but I do spend time in other Adobe Forums and see employees speaking directly to issues like this all the time.

Can you point me to an example where an Adobe employee provides expected dates of some future software release? Because that has never happened in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's everywhere in their marketing and has been since CC launched. But if you don't believe me, here's a quote from Mala Sharma - VP of Marketing:

Sharma: In my opinion, the most valuable benefit of Creative Cloud membership is that users get access to the latest and greatest innovation from Adobe as it becomes available for no extra cost. It could be a new service, a new product, or a new feature in an existing product. As we innovate, Creative Cloud members get the new stuff first.

As to rest - we're both speaking in suppositions and can't possibly know. You believe what you want, I'll keep pushing them to do better and release things faster so I can do my work. I don't need to defend a behemoth like Adobe, not when I'm shelling out good money every month for their products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot agree more.

To me, it's very simple logic.

A one time purchase of a software means once you purchase it, you are stuck with the decision/choice for a longer time vs a subscription model, which if they do not deliver, subscribers will switch to another product/service. they have a chance to review their decision every month. It only makes sense for a subscription model to have more and frequent updates to make sure the churn rate is low.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you believe that Adobe needs to be more efficient and prompt in their addition of support for new camera support you should post your feature request at their forum established for this purpose.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best you can do for now is to download Sony's Image Data Converter Ver. 4.2 and convert your .arw (raw files) to Tiff. However, the downside here is that an 8bit Tiff file is always going to 60MB! I am having this same problem, its very frustrating. Perhaps shoot raw + jpeg, convert your best files to Tiff, and the rest  just leave as jpegs. This slows down workflow considerably, but honestly until there is an upgrade that allows .arw files to convert to .dng files, this is the way to do it. Look for Sony's Image Data Converter to get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually - the latest update to Lightroom contained the patch for the Sony Raw files. And they look spectacular.

Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Albson wrote:

Actually - the latest update to Lightroom contained the patch for the Sony Raw files. And they look spectacular.

Good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated two of my Sony cameras and now have the A77ii and the RX100 MK IV. I am running Lightroom 5.7.1 on Windows 7 and the A77II raw photos preview and import with no problem. I still cannot get the RX100 MKIV photos to preview or import even though it is on the list of supported cameras for this version of Lightroom. Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it just takes these software companies time to update new raw formats which the sony rx-100 IV has. Much debate about whose obligation it is to have compatibility ready

at the tine of release….I think the damn camera sellers should tell buyers at the time of purchase…I any event the newest version of lightroom which I updated to (2015.1.1)

is fully operational in terms of the new sony raw format for the IV. Good luck, enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "Much debate about whose obligation it is to have compatibility ready

at the tine of release….I think the damn camera sellers should tell buyers at the time of purchase…"

Just some thoughts.

a. I do not think Adobe receives any commission from the price you paid for the camera you purchased.

b. Adobe can not start the process of creating profiles to render the raw files from your camera until the camera is released to the market.

c. Your camera manufacturer has their own propriety software for processing the raw files from the cameras they manufacture.

d. Adobe is offering an alternative to your camera manufacturers software.

If you consider Adobe software critical to your workflow for processing raw files from a particular camera then you should check if support is available before you purchase.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidk43419984 wrote:

I think the damn camera sellers should tell buyers at the time of purchase

Denis covers your other points clearly, David - but one thing camera manufacturers could do is use a single, defined, universal Raw format (DNG being the obvious choice) which would make these delays unnecessary.

But most seem utterly unwilling to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sony RX100IV is already supported in Capture One and there is a free version for Sony owners.  $50 upgrade to the PRO version.

www.phaseone.com/sony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines