• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC freezing or "not responding"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed Acrobat DC.  I previously used Foxit Phantom.  Now when I am in "My Computer" and I either mouse-over or try to open a PDF file, it freezes for about 10 seconds and says "not responding" at the top.  It always works again after the 7-10 seconds.  Very annoying.  This never happened when using Foxit.  Has anyone else had this problem?  How do I fix it? 

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 190 Replies 190
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott2116,

I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue & will be happy to assist you.

Can you please let me know the version of operating system installed on your computer in order to diagnose the issue correctly?

In the mean time please refer to this KB doc. Troubleshoot system errors, freezes | Windows | Adobe software‌ to check the system requirements & other troubleshooting steps. 

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Scott,

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the KB doc. which I provided you in the above comment?

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried a few of the things that were listed.  I haven't gone through all of the options yet.  I've found that this non-responsive issue happens regardless of what other programs are running at the same time.  I even closed everything else and it still happens.  This is a work computer that I adopted from a previous employee.  I went though and deleted all older Adobe programs that I'm not using.  I even removed Acrobat Reader.  It made no difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue, windows 8.1 x64

every day this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott & Hayden,

Let me know if you still experience any issue.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK

1. I uninstalled by using the Windows Uninstaller and then running the adobe cleaner tool you directed me to. The DOS screen indicated I uninstalled successfully, but I never found any log files sitting in the user directory. The program appeared to have completely uninstalled.
  2. Restarted
  3. Installed Acrobat DC Pro using the link provided, which was actually a 'cloud' installation. I did log in at least a couple times through this process.

Problem: how do I "serialize it"? This seems to be a 30-day trial of the Cloud software. I have not been prompted for a serial number & don't see any obvious way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aadesh

Thanks for the re-installation information.  Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is freezing as well since I upgraded my mac to the latest OS ... Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 10.31.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Idea Pad G850 running Windows 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is now notorious for dissipating thumbnails. I am having to run a workaround to get the thumbnails to display. Are these "updates" going to crash my thumbnail feature? Will I have to find another workaround for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over a year later and this problem still hasn't been fixed? I have the latest update and the reader still crashes constantly anytime I have more than one .pdf open. Is there any end to this debacle in sight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2016 Jun 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day folks,

Here is how I solved the issue for myself.

Background:

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC running on Windows 10 Pro (Enterprise) and I am connected to a corporate Network.  After starting Acrobat (whether with or without opening a Document) it would run for around 15 seconds apparently normally.  It would then hang / freeze / crash.  If I tried to click on anything more than a few times then Windows would report that Acrobat is "Not Responding".  It would recover on its own within around another 15 seconds.  This is a common complaint from what I can see.  I tried the following things without any success:

Things that didn't work:

Setting Recently Used Documents to only 1

Toggling Enhanced Security, Protected Views settings, etc.

Plug-Ins attempts:  Holding Shift when Acrobat starts keeps the problems from happening (but I need many of the Plug-Ins).

Graphics (Multimedia) Settings changes:  No effect for me.

Trying all kinds of permutations of settings in the Preferences settings had no effect for me.

My solution (works for me):

1)     Close down Acrobat. 

2)     Fire up regedit (follow the usually cautions for dealing with the Registry)

3)     Navigate to:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\2015\FeatureLockDown

4)     You should see Key folders with names like cDefaultExecMenuItemscDefaultFindAttachmentPerms, cDefaultLaunchAttachmentPerms, cDefaultLaunchURLPerms 

5)     If a key name named cServices does not yet exist, then create it (right click on FeatureLockDown and select New -> Key and name it cServices).

6) Left Click to Select the cServices Key you just created. 

7)     Right click in the white space in the right side pane and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value and name this new Value bToggleAdobeDocumentServices

8)     Double Click on the newly created bToggleAdobeDocumentServices and enter 1 (Hexadecimal) for the Value data.  Click OK. 

9)     Continue creating new Key names within the cServices Key folder until you have the following: 

Name Type                         Data

bToggleAdobeDocumentServices REG_DWORD          0x00000001 (1)

bToggleAdobeSign                                REG_DWORD          0x00000001 (1)

bTogglePrefSync REG_DWORD          0x00000001 (1)

bUpdater REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

Note: The value of bUpdater is 0 while the values of the first three are 1). 

Note: When you create the cServices Key folder a Key named (Default) may be automatically create, this is OK.  Just ignore it (don't try to delete it). 

10. Close the regedit, and restart Acrobat.  You may need to restart your PC. 

More Info:

An explanation of these Registry fields can be found here: 

Services integration

I looked for this when I discovered that the problem had to do with one the Plug-Ins (as I mention above).  I traced it to IA32.api.  But, removing this Plug-In file crippled Acrobat in addition to keeping it from crashing.  Adobe Support tried to help me but they couldn't figure it out and I couldn't spend any more time with them.  These registry changes will stop Acrobat from going out to "the Cloud".  This keeps it from hanging while it tries to get through the corporate firewall.  My opinion is that it it very poor design and maybe insufficient testing that would cause this unresponsiveness to happen and go undetected.  I have been unable to find a non-registry way to get this result. 

Good luck! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knote,

I tried you fix and it did help. For my situation (described in an earlier post), if I waited 2 minutes after opening a PDF document the reader functioned fine.

After modifying the registry as you described my wait time for being able to effectively use a PDF document is now a little less than 1 minutes. Every few seconds saved make using Adobe Reader more bearable.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm following this because I am having the same problem.  I have NOT gone through the troubleshooting steps provided by Aadesh since Scott7118 said they did not work. Honestly, I am holding out for an Adobe CC update that fixes this for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I loaded the new Windows 10 and that seemed to fix the two problems that I had.  One was the "freezing and not responding", then I had the problem of Acrobat closing down every time that I used it.  After loading Windows 10 those problems went away.  Now I have run into a new problem of several functions that just don't work including printing.  I have noticed that it runs just perfect on my home computer and iPhone.  This computer that I am having problems with is at my work.  I am convinced that the problems I am having are directly related to this machine and not Adobe or Acrobat.  I think that if I can get my employer to upgrade my computer, the problem(s) will be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott, I am also having the identical issue with my program freezing and throwing up a "not responding" message when attempting to print. Makes no difference whether I print from the printer icon, print from File or Ctrl+P, the only thing that differs is that sometimes I can make it into the print setup page only to have it freeze there!

It is on my home computer running Windows 10; newly reinstalled & serialised Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, I installed a new SSD drive in my computer.  Completely reloaded all programs, including Windows 10 & Acrobat.  That fixed my problem.  So, my guess is that something previously within the operating system itself was causing the problem.  I hate to say reload everything from scratch including Windows, but it worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems and I have Window 7.  I am going nuts and am not about to change my entire operating system that supports a host of wide range of other important programs that are running fine.  There must be a glitch somewhere that has an easier solution than updating the entire machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as everyone else. I use this program for work and I can barely function right now with how much it randomly stops responding and closes. I cannot change my operating system to fix the problem as I just got this computer in the past year with windows 8.1 on it. Tried all of the troubleshooting with no improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Scott,

I am having same issue as "freezing acrobat dc". I have Windows 7 Professional. Please suggest me any solution that can work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. It just started today (began using DC about 2- 3 weeks ago). Has anyone been able to find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. I did everything on the troubleshooting and even upgraded to windows 10. Still does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this same issue on my Mac laptop running the latest OS El Capitan. It loads up and just freezes. Uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines