• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem starting Captivate

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2008 Feb 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the trial version of Captivate last week, tested for a few days, everything worked fine. Rebooted my computer this morning, ran Adobe Updater, tried to start Captivate and now the application freezes as soon as I try to open a project. I get past the splash screen and into the program, but on opening a file Captivate freezes before anything comes onto the screen. Here's what I've tried:

Rebooting
Re-installing Captivate
Starting Captivate while disconnected from the network

Any other ideas? I appreciate your help!
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 26, 2008 Feb 26, 2008
Hi n8thedesigner and I too extend you a welcome to our community

I believe that an update may have recently occurred to the Flash Player. I'm wondering if perhaps you have tried visiting the Adobe Flash Player site and ensured all the updates have been applied if that might change or otherwise help things. You may visit this page by clicking here.

Sometimes you may even find you need to downgrade a player. To do this, usually an uninstaller is needed. This link should assist with that.

Chee...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Feb 25, 2008 Feb 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the User Community. It sounds like you might need more help than we can give you, but I will do my best, Nate.

You said that the freeze occurs when you try to open a project ... does that mean it does NOT freeze if you record a new one? I am wondering if perhaps the projects you already opened and saved are corrupted, not Captivate itself(?)

Do not save to a network. Do not run Captivate from a network. Both should be done from local drive C:\

If you want to save to a network drive, save your work on Drive C:\, shut down Captivate, then move/copy the file using Windows Explorer.

Let us know if you have success, or not, and if so, what you did that helped. Thanks, and best of wishes,
Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2008 Feb 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the welcome, Larry-

I've tried starting a new project, but have the same problems that occur when trying to open a current project. The window remains blank, and although I can roll over the buttons and the tooltips appear, none of them function. I can go to the help menu, but if I select "getting started tutorials" for example, nothing happens. If I try to close the program, nothing happens. I have to use the task manager to shut it down.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi n8thedesigner and I too extend you a welcome to our community

I believe that an update may have recently occurred to the Flash Player. I'm wondering if perhaps you have tried visiting the Adobe Flash Player site and ensured all the updates have been applied if that might change or otherwise help things. You may visit this page by clicking here.

Sometimes you may even find you need to downgrade a player. To do this, usually an uninstaller is needed. This link should assist with that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks so much! I uninstalled the flash player, reinstalled and now Captivate is working just fine. I appreciate your (and eveyone elses') time!!

-Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't explicitly mention doing so, so perhaps you need to recreate your Captivate configuration file. You may have a corrupted file that didn't get reset during the reinstall.

Recreating the configuration file is step 4 in the following article:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402464&sliceId=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting and seemingly all-encompassing TechNote, jbradley. Having read it, I cannot imagine something in there leading to a solution. Don't know how I missed that article earlier, but thanks for the link!
regards~
Larry
EDIT
ooops - should have read: "... I cannot image something in there not leading to a solution ..." I think my double-negative got mixed with my triple positive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You didn't explicitly mention doing so, so perhaps you need to recreate
> your
> Captivate configuration file. You may have a corrupted file that didn't
> get
> reset during the reinstall.

If you've tried that and it doesn't work, try updating your graphic card
driver to the latest version. Weird display issues like this are often fixed
this way.

Steve

--
Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices
My blog - http://stevehoward.blogspot.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources