• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shift-Drag and Option Drag not working

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesign CC and my Shift-Drag to constrain in a direction has stopped working. Also my Option-Drag to duplicate has stopped working. Both work fine in Illustrator. Any help is appreciated....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

OK. So let me answer my own question. Firefox is the culprit. Sounds strange, but once I quit Firefox 23.0.1 these shortcuts started working again. Also note that the Cmd-Spacebar to toggle to the magnifying glass was not working. Now it is. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. So let me answer my own question. Firefox is the culprit. Sounds strange, but once I quit Firefox 23.0.1 these shortcuts started working again. Also note that the Cmd-Spacebar to toggle to the magnifying glass was not working. Now it is. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely it is one of the addons to Firefox and not FIrefox itself. Try disabling 1/2 of the addons and use divide and conquer to find out which.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input Larry, but I don't use Firefox as my main browser. I use Safari. Did I mention I was on a Mac? It doesn't appear as if I have ever downloaded any add-ons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Firefox (23.0.1) full time and haven't had a problem with it. I'm also on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with the shortcuts not working. I still get the bug after closing all browsers.

any other tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even have firefox installed on my computer and i still have issues where option-drag and shift-drag does not work in Indesign CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me. It's somehnting in Safari as well. I quit Safai, and the shift/drag in InDesign cc worked again (even after I reopened Safari).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Very frustrating. Quiting Safari solved it for me, and after reopening Safari, the problem is still resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues.  I also cannot use the clipping path tool.  I quit Safari and didn't even have Firefox open and still no change.  I hope Adobe fixes this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me also, when I have external devices connected, like a beamer, a second screen, etc. Happens not with every device, but with some of them. Very bad situation if you make presentations or consulting and no shortcut works from one moment to the next.

I have not discovered exactly what this problem is causing, otherwise I would have filed a bug repaort against it to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evernote extension in chrome was the culprit for me... deleting that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a freelancer at an agency. There are multiple freelancers here all using macbook airs and we all have the same problem. Cannot find a solution. shift key doesn't work in indesign as well as option drag. command spacebar (zoom) doesn't work, as well as spacebar (hand) in Photoshop. Issues in illustrator as well. Creative Cloud is a total mess. We've all restarted and quit all programs multiple times. Nothing works. They're also new computers with not much installed on them. They're basically out of the box. No add ons. How can Adobe have screwed up this badly? These are commands all designers use THOUSANDS of times a day!!! Brutal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit both Safari and Firefox and start .indd without them. It is crazy, but it works. After you get .indd up and running you can re-open your browsers. Not sure if Chrome has an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't have Firefox on any of our machines. Already tried opening without

any web browsers.

I've already tried everything that's been posted in forums. In the 15 years

I've been using Mac's and adobe products, I've always found an answer in

the forums. This is the first time I've ever had to write a post. I think I

pretty much have to just wait for an update where Adobe fixes the problem.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Jami Clevenger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought then...have these artists upgraded to El Capitan? A couple of my of my coworkers have, and lost some hot key functionality. I haven't upgraded to El Capitan (running Yosemite 10.10.5) and my .indd is working fine.

That's all I've got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. We're on Yosemite 10.10.3.

Thanks for trying though

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Jami Clevenger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to El Capitan and I'm now having the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit my browser and it started working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the strangest solution to this issue. I had the same problems. Not being able to drag and duplicate - I closed ALL of my programs, InDesign included and opened InDesign again, it worked. Only other issue now, I cannot scale images using option+Shift and dragging the corners... anyone have thoughts on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shut down Safari (and kept it closed) and problem was solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue right now. I know this is months from the latest post, but none of the suggestions listed here up to this point are working. Not able to Option+drag to copy in InDesign and not able to Command+Shift to zoom in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I literally use these commands every other minute.  I'm losing my mind!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new user in Users & Groups. Change to that user. Open InDesign first before any other application. Or try the problem drags you've had in Illustrator and Photoshop. If it works it works in the new user, there is some kind of corruption or third-party conflict in the original user area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

I tried that, praying it would work, but it doesn't. 😞 Now I'm trying to re-install InDesign. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also tried the Safari thing and it didn't work either. Even after rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac and use the noted quick keys extensively. (Also note: The corner controls didn't work either.)

I thought that it was my preference files.  But trashing those didn't work. 

After reading this thread it made me look at what else was running.  The culprit is WebRoot (Anti Malware). 

That being said it – looks like anything that runs in the background can create issues with Indesign, Illustrator, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines