• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do we publish only the changes made to a project and not the whole project? Robohelp HTML 10

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we go to publish our changes for a project, it is publishing the whole project which is taking a substantial amount of time. Is there any way we can just publish the changes only?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

How exactly are you publishing?

If you are using the Publishing tool built into RoboHelp, perhaps you have the settings configured wrong?

Do your publish settings resemble what is shown below? If not, why not?

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

My apologies in advance as I am not an administrator for this system. I just update the html files and publish them.

I have checked WebHelp settings and there is nothing there. Would this need to be configured on the server?

Thanks for your help.

Suzy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Suzy

Please tell me how you have been publishing then. Just copying the files?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Basically I update the HTML files, then save.

Then I navigate to WebHelp and select ‘Save and Generate’ My understanding is the whole project file is overwritten when I ‘save and generate’

The configuration I imagine would occur on the server?

Hope this info helps.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

When you save and generate, many things occur. The output folder is cleared and replaced with new modified copies of the source files.

Normally this occurs totally on your hard drive with perhaps the source files existing in a location such as c:\projects\myproject and the output files existing in a location such as c:\projects\myproject\!SSL!\WebHelp.

After that process is complete, the files and folders in the output location need to be copied to a server for others to consume them. That's where publishing comes into play. You configure a destination for the files to be copied to. During the process, they are copied from that output folder to the final location. And using this approach, only the files that need to be copied are actually copied. Perhaps the first time this is done, it takes ten minutes. But later operations would happen in a much shorter time because only the changed files are copied.

The configuration of the publishing occurs in your copy of RoboHelp.

Hopefully this helps clarify it a bit.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thank you for providing that information ☺

The project file is located on a shared drive, so when I save and generate it overwrites this file in the share. The reason the project file is here, is so other areas of the business are able to access the files and upload changes ect.

In my ‘WebHelp Settings’ window in the general tab is the location of the file

But under the publish tab there are no settings configured. Is this where I can set it so it only publishes the changes made?

The reason I ask is because Robohelp is so slow, and when I save and generate the changes it can take up to 50minutes for it to publish. At times it freezes also and closes down. Sometimes it can be minor changes to text and it still takes an immense amount of time.

The only reason I think this is happening is because it’s not publishing locally, its publishing to a shared drive.

I am trying to look at ways to make this process faster.

Thanks again for your help its much appreciated ☺

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed when you work with RoboHelp as you are describing it will likely be slow as molasses. The reason is because any action results in a network call. Think of it like this. RoboHelp is like working in a kitchen preparing recipes. Think if a network server as being very similar to a grocery store and think of your local hard drive as being very similar to your refrigerator and pantry.

If you are working with a recipe and you need to add an egg, you open the fridge and grab an egg. But if you only kept the eggs at the grocery store, you would have to stop what you were doing, drive to the store, fetch the egg, drive home and add the egg. That's precisely what it's like when your project is on a network server.

You claim the project is there because you need others to access your project. But do your users need access to the SOURCE files? Or do they only care about the OUTPUT files? Most of the time it's OUTPUT files. That means you could keep the source files on your local hard drive and make it super speedy to operate and make edits, then when you generate you could use the publish option to copy the changed files to the server.

Another issue you could see with operating in the way you are describing is that when you go to generate the WebHelp, the first step is to delete all the existing content. And if someone is trying to access the content at that time you could cause issues.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

I must say I am impressed with your analogy.. Lol

We are looking at moving the files to the RoboHelp Server. The issue was we had users in the business who were updating project files ect so they were originally set up on the share.. Which in turn has caused these issues..

Thanks for your help, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track!

Appreciate your time ☺

Kind Regards

Suzy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp