• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot run MS update KB3099406

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My windows 8.1 64bit PC received update KB3099406, with changes/update to Flash Player.  When I ran it, the update did not complete - either saying "There was a problem installing updates" or completing the installation before reboot and then upon restart ending with "We couldn't complete the updates - Undoing changes - Don't turn off your computer"  I've Googled everything I can think of and tried most applicable recommendations, with no progress.  My current version of Flash is 19.0.0.185, and I am told by Adobe that I don't have the latest version 19.0.0.207.  Is there anything that will work to fix this?  By the way, my Flash on IE11 and Chrome has been experiencing several issues, particularly playing streaming videos with random brief hesitation in the audio followed by hesitation in the video (to catch up) on youtube videos (HTML5 videos work okay it seems) and random audio hesitations in Candy Crush.  I used to experience random crashes and blue screens in Candy Crush, but think (hope) these have stopped. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is a windows update I have seen some windows update issues be resolved by deleting the contents of:

"C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download"

Not the folder itself, just the contents:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/is-it-safe-to-delete-files-under/8...

That article says the entire C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, but i just do the files and folders in the Download portion, b/c i am not comfortable removing the entire thing, nor fee the need to.

Here is another article :

Is the deleting safe? Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

The files/folders contain the windows updates you machine installs. It is possible that one got corrupt. I have done this on win 10 to resolve similar issues

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carm01, Thanks for the suggestions.  I had not tried them before.  However, I am very sorry to say that your suggestion and the ones in the second link did not work.  I have been able to install all other windows updates except KB30999406.  I suspect this has something to do with the problems I am experiencing with Flash Player.  Here is what is displayed in Event Viewer (with Event ID 20) after I run windows update:

error code 0x800f0922
updateTitleSecurity Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3099406)
updateGuid{0021CDE9-BF9C-4D0C-A833-E9F751CE3236}
updateRevisionNumber200
serviceGuid{7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you download the file directly?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3099406

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carm01,

Yes, I just tried that, with the same result.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Carm01,

I think I fixed my problems. I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 10, and so far my perceived Flash problems are gone. Also, the Windows update issue is no longer there.

I would have done this sooner, but I had (accidentally) installed W10 before. But the Flash problems were so bad that I was experiencing blue screen errors several times a day. Eventually, I went back to Windows 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 after formatting a new SSD. Still had those Flash problems though.

Hopefully, the second time with W10 will be a charm.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

- Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines