Exit

Why does Firefox say I have an old version of Flash

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Flash. This web page tells me I have Version 19.0.0.226:-

helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

and when I checked Internet Explorer and Chrome they concur.

However, if I go to the Firefox Add-ons page it says I have Shockwave Flash 19.0.0.185 and lists the file as:

NPSWF32_19_0_0_185.dll, NPSWF32_19_0_0_226.dll

which looks as if both versions 19.0.0.185: and 19.0.0.226:are installed, with Firefox running 19.0.0.185.

Is this correct?

And, if so, would it help if I delete NPSWF32_19_0_0_226.dll ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

@Martin_666

If Firefox was in use during the upgrade the file, for the previous version, will remain on the system, and marked for deletion upon reboot. However, Firefox should detect the latest version not the previous version.  Based on your most recent post, if you rebooted your system between the time of your first post and your last post, the DLL for the previous version (19.0.0.185) has been deleted.

@S3ndG

Cyberfox is not officially supported, as such, it could be behaving slightly different

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, Firefox (Cyberfox) tells me I have two versions of flash installed.

That's a bug that the developer of flash must fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Martin_666

If Firefox was in use during the upgrade the file, for the previous version, will remain on the system, and marked for deletion upon reboot. However, Firefox should detect the latest version not the previous version.  Based on your most recent post, if you rebooted your system between the time of your first post and your last post, the DLL for the previous version (19.0.0.185) has been deleted.

@S3ndG

Cyberfox is not officially supported, as such, it could be behaving slightly different than Firefox, which is officially supported.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did indeed reboot the machine, so your explanation sounds right. I assume that a bug in Firefox caused it to continue using the old version until I rebooted.

That is a bit worrying, particularly as the latest update was in response to a major security problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Firefox is open during an install/upgrade refreshing the browser (if more than one tab is open, then refresh all tabs) will load the newly installed version.  This functionality has been available in Firefox for several years.  If it's not working, then it's a regression bug in Firefox, not Flash Player, as the browser controls when/how to load a newly installed plugin.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem with Firefox's reader plugin.

It can't just be Firefox, there must be something else... I removed Adobe reader, reinstalled (and updated from Adobe Reader DC). The plugin is still outdated even after reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jc_artlover,

I don't work on Reader and have no knowledge of how their installer works.  Please post your issue to the Acrobat Reader forum.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will check the Reader forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I restarted Firefox a few times to no effect - but today, for no apparent reason, Firefox shows version 19.0.0.226 and the old file NPSWF32_19_0_0_185.dll has vanished from my hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I let Flash player auto-updating, I get no problem and I don't have two different versions of flash installed. I have only the latest one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines