• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split Clips in Timeline w/ Keyboard Shortcut

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the life of me, I can not figure out how to split a clip at the scrubber directly on the timeline with a keyboard shortcut.  Even the most basic editors offer this.  I am sure Pr does as well....right?

I prefer to shift to the mouse as little as possible. 

Thanks in advnace for the help.  SIncerely, Eric

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Ahh, I took "split" too literally. I think the command that will do exactly what you describe is Add Edit command, the default shortcut for which is CTRL+K/CMD+K.

But I presume you're going to then do something after adding the cut, like perhaps ripple deleting one of the two segments you just created. If so, you might want to try Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead (W) and Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead (Q).

If those don't do exactly what you're aiming for, feel free to spell it out. Odds ar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, go to Markers>Mark Split. You can set your own shortcuts for Audio In/Out and Video In/Out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Reply, Mark, but that doesn't seem to do what I am looking for.  I set a shortcut, went to try it, and nothing.  Maybe I am not explaining what I want.

Typically, if I want to tidy up the project in my timeline, I press C for the razor tool, mouse over the spot I want to split, and click.  I want to do this with a keyboard short cut at the spot of the scrubber.

I apologize for my ineptness....I moved from a basic consumer editor to this and the curve has been a little steeper in terminology 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, I took "split" too literally. I think the command that will do exactly what you describe is Add Edit command, the default shortcut for which is CTRL+K/CMD+K.

But I presume you're going to then do something after adding the cut, like perhaps ripple deleting one of the two segments you just created. If so, you might want to try Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead (W) and Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead (Q).

If those don't do exactly what you're aiming for, feel free to spell it out. Odds are pretty good that PPRO has a handy feature that will help streamline your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much appreciation for your help.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcut for the razor cut works  but once you use the shortcut you have to select he clip again to perform another cut. HOW DO YOU KEEP CUTTING W/O STOPPING?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Select Clip under  Playhead Option.> reposition the playhead> Add edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem and the resolution here isn't working for me.

My "keyboard shortcut" (Premiere Pro CC 2015.4),  lists "cut" as CMD + C which is how I set it, still this does not work?

It directs me to "edit in Adobe Audition" which seems unnecessary for such a basic edit function.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I only had to have the sequence selected and then simply hit "c" on the keyboard to get the razor (I have not changed any of the keyboard shortcuts yet.  I was able to keep clicking and cutting without selecting anything. If I did have something selected in the timeline, then I could still use c to goto the razor and cut, then I used "v" to go back to  the pointer.

I learned these shortcuts by hovering over the tools for the Sequence / Timeline area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines