• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font of numbers in numbered lists is too large

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2008 Feb 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My numbered lists (both 1,2,3 and a,b,c) look correct when I work in RH, but in the generated product the numbers and letters are a font several points larger. This is something deeper than default.css. Does anyone know where this would be controlled?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML takes the number/bullet styling from the OL and UL setting in the attached CSS. If there are no settings, you get the ugly W3 default settings.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Then when I specified a font size for the list items in my stylesheet, they went to the proper size in a browser.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2008 Mar 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

which stylesheet did you edit? I edited the "fmstyles.css" but unfortunately this didn´t work out, because it is overruled by the chapter-stylesheets.

best regards,
frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You edit default.css. I would have thought the tag to edit would be <li> or <list-bullet>, but it's <ol> and <ul>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right--I checked my stylesheet, and it was ol and ul. Sorry for the misinformation! (I'm not sure at this point if, when I went through RH's stylesheet editor, I changed the lists attributes and RH wrote those changes to ol and ul rather than li.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2008 Apr 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just imported a Word file into a new RoboHELP HTML project, created a new style sheet, imported styles from an existing style sheet, and generated the HTML Help. All my numbers in numbered lists are also way too large.

I saw a style called Default Paragraph Font but when I am not able to modify it (the Modify button is dimmed when that style is selected).

Then I found this thread in the forum and tried modifying default.css, exited and restarted RoboHELP HTML, and regenerated the Help. No change. The numbers are still big.

Any suggestions? For what it's worth, the HTML Help that was created with the style sheet whose styles I imported does NOT have this problem. Numbers in numbered lists are Verdana 8, just like the Normal font. And that Help file was also created with RoboHelp 6.0.

Thanks for any suggestions!
kc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm.... I just noticed that those numbered list items show a "Style" of LISTNUMBERED in the Style drop-down. Yet when I expand the list, that style does not appear.

If I select all of my list items and apply style "Normal" then click the numbered list button on the RH toolbar, the font for the numbers is correct in both the source AND output.

This is going to be a pain to fix everywhere but at least there's a workaround.

kc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KC

Yep, precisely why I avoid at all cost importing Word content into RoboHelp. I always took the clean approach when I was presented with a Word document. My first step was always to crack open Word, load the document, then click File > Save As... and save that puppy as pure ASCII text in a .TXT file. Then I copied/pasted the text as needed.

You can probably banish the unwanted styles using some search and destroy trickery with either ReplacEm or FAR.

Click here to visit the FAR web site
I tried to locate the ReplacEm site, but it has either closed shop or is down at the moment. I'll list it below in case it's just briefly down:
Click here to visit the ReplacEm site.

ReplacEm is/was freeware. If you want a copy of the install, let me know and I'll post a link for you to download it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2008 Apr 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the code above the body of the topic, you will probably find an embedded stylesheet which is affecting things.

With backups, remove that stuff. Also change the stylesheet to the one that works. Between the two, you might just get what you want.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 28, 2008 Apr 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Styles in all caps generally are failures to match an imported Word file's style with an exact match in the RH project's style library. Lists are an especially contentious item, particularly if list styles were used in Word. This is usually good practice, but is a bear when converting binary/xml/mht Word source files into RH straight html.

The best way to work with lists in RH is the most simple: select paragraphs with Normal style and click the List toolbar icons (numbers or bullets). If any of those paragraphs need to be sublist items, select them and click the Increase Indent toolbar icon.

Try this in a test project:

1. In RH, import the Word file and identify the unmatched styles.
2. In RH, delete all the imported topics.
3. In Word, replace all "caps" styles with a matching RH style.
4. In RH, reimport the Word file.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all this information! I've never used FAR and am not sure I really understand what to search for at this point. And while saving the Word file as ASCII text is EXCELLENT advice for future projects, I really don't want to do that for this project because I wrote the Word file with the intention of creating Help later so its current organization is quite salvageable (is that a word? ;*) for Help.

Leon - you mentioned identifying all unmatched styles. How? The only time they're visible in the drop-down list of styles is when my cursor is IN one of them. So I'd have to walk through each topic (there are MANY) with the cursor...? I'd like to try the test you suggested. So far, just browsing around, the only all-caps styles I see are in various types of lists (of course... and I use many list variations in this document, and they were contentious in Word!)

By the way, I did look at the code but am not sure what an embedded style sheet looks like (it wasn't obvious to me above the body of the topic). I did notice some tagging differences though. A list element with the large sized numbers (and the all-caps style) looked like this:

<li class=kadov-p-CListNumbered><p class=ListNumbered>In the <b>Schedule Information</b> dialog box:</p></li>

After I changed it to Normal style and clicked RoboHelp's numbered list button, the tags changed to this:

<li class=kadov-P><p>In the <b>Schedule Information</b> dialog box:</p></li>

So I guess there's ONE obvious candidate for "search and destry!"

kc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the changes you need are all likely to be located on a single line, you don't need FAR for this. Just use the RH Multi-File Find & Replace function in the Tools tab (it does multi-files but not multi-lines, so you're OK in this case).

Simply replace all instances of:
<li class=kadov-p-CListNumbered><p class=ListNumbered>

with:
<li class=kadov-P><p>

After you've replaced them all, you can delete the style, so that you don't inadvertently use it in the future.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon. I replaced all 134 of them and that appears to have cleaned up most of the issues. Some of the nested lists are still off (not indented properly) but I can catch those as I edit individual topics. There are FAR less of them.

kc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread on this same subject, I got great info from Colum and Peter.  Colum told me to change the BODY tag attributes in my CSS.  My CSS did not have font-size attribute for the BODY definition.  When I added "font-size: 10.0pt;" to the BODY attributes, I finally was able to get the numbers in the numbered lists to be 10 pt, to match the text - rather than the 12 pt that was incorrect.

Colum explained that it was the browser rendering the incorrect text size.  So the CHMs were fine because the HTML Help Viewer was displaying the Help.

BTW, this project was converted from RoboHelp X5 to RH8.  So glad this problem is resolved now, thanks to Colum.

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2009 Oct 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just for your information: setting a font size for the BODY, will set a font size for EVERY child element from the body that doesn't have a font size specified. Setting the font size for the body makes sure that the browser won't use it's default font size, but if you ever want to change the font size of only a certain list, changing the font size for the BODY won't help.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2009 Oct 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, William, for the additional clarification.  Love this forum!!

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp