• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deprecated Files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2008 Feb 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are moving into deprecated folder without being sent there. They are moving there automatically. Can someone help me understand how this is happening and how to stop it? The error message says broken links, and my topics are marked with a Red-X.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 29, 2008 Feb 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jencie and welcome to our community

I'm not sure what you mean by "deprecated folder". Are you saying a folder that was deleted? Or is this a folder you created manually and named "deprecated"?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2008 Mar 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a folder in my project. I don't know if it's new or not. I've never noticed it before. I'm just not sure why they are there. I'm pretty new to RoboHelp. There is also a PP folder, a Values folder, and a Broken Links folder (with many broken links). The broken links are also new. I don't know what these folders are for, how they relate, and why I suddenly have broken links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jencie

Can you please post a screen capture of what you see? The link below should take you to a free image sharing service.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded the image. It is called PrintScreen.doc.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

And the URL to view it would be?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay... gotcha!

From what I am seeing, this deprecated folder is one that was created after your RoboHelp project was created. This means either the help author before you created them, or you did. Another possibility that may explain things here is that somehow the folder was created programmatically. And maybe the same program that created the folder is also responsible for moving files there. I'm further guessing here that whatever is going on is going on without RoboHelp's knowledge. This is why the broken links are occurring.

As I see it, you now have some sleuthing to do. I'd ask around to see what (if any) software is being used to manage files. Obviously SOMETHING is causing them to move. Your goal is to determine what!

Hopefully this is helpful in some way... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Question for you here. Are you the only person working with the files, or are you sharing responsibility for maintenance with a co-worker? Where are your files located? Local PC or the network?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We keep our files in a shared place called the Vault. We check them out, make a copy on our hard drive to work on, then check them back in. That way we have an up-to-date copy and as we make changes, we check in the updated files. Until the last 2 weeks, I was the only one who made any changes to the files. I have copied any of tthe files from the vault to my hard drive since the other user has been on board. The only other thing I have done in the last week is:
-- Make another directory on my hard drive
-- Checked the files out of the vault to put a copy in the new directory
-- Created a new project with those files
-- Created printed documentation through Single Source Layouts
-- Made changes to the printed Documentation

Could the changes I made to the Chapter Layout in the Printetd Documentation in the new project affect my main working project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Jencie
We keep our files in a shared place called the Vault. We check them out, make a copy on our hard drive to work on, then check them back in.

Hello Jencie -

I'm thinking that Vault was the culprit (is that from SourceGear?). Sounds like Vault sets up a folder to move depricated files into as part of the source control procedure.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jencie,
First off, I've never heard of RH automatically creating folders in the way you describe. Would there have been someone else working on this project that would have created the folder and moved the topics into it?
As far as the Red Xs are concerned, this is normally caused by someone moving/deleting/renaming the files outside of RH. When this occurs, RH looses track of them and you have to either restore them back the way they were or redirect RH to the amended files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jencie,

In Windows Explorer. look at the properties of the folder named "deprecated"? Do the dates of creation and revision offer any hint?

Did you or someone else submit your project folder to a Javascript checker, or code analyzer, or Web site analyzer?

Source files and .js files in the project folder won't pass many of these tests, but we should not expect source files to do so.

It would be appropriate to submit the WebHelp output folder to an analyzer. But don't panic when the testing application finds "errors." Sometimes, some "rules" don't really matter in the real world.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jencie,

You say:
The only other thing I have done in the last week is:
-- Checked the files out of the vault to put a copy in the new directory

Did the new user make some changes and check the project back into the Vault before this?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp