11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 10:09 PM by johnrellis

Why does sort by capture time not work?

danielc59994294

I take pictures with multiple cameras and sync their times together, but sorting by capture time just doesn't work in some cases. If I hover over the photo, it indicates the correct time, but the it isn't sorted correctly. Any suggestions? Is there some retarded secret as to which date is chosen when you hover over or select an image, which is different than how they sort?

• 1. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

1. Verify that the dates are actually correct.  Given the small size of the fonts used, it's a fairly common mistake to overlook different dates.

2. Similarly, if you are using 12-hour format times, make sure the AM/PM is correct.

3. Are the files that aren't sorting correctly videos?  LR has long-standing bugs with video capture times.

4. If none of the above apply, configure the Library grid view to show the capture date.  In View > View Options > Grid View > Compact Cell Extras, set Bottom Label to be Capture Date/Time.  Set Show Grid Extras to Compact Cells and make sure it is checked.   Now make a screen shot of the Library grid view that shows the two adjacent photos that aren't sorting correctly.  Next, in the right-hand column, open the Metadata pane, selecting the Default preset.  For each of those two photos, take a screen shot of the Metadata pane.  Post all three screen shots here (you need to reply in your Web browser -- you can't email-reply attachments).   This should provide sufficient information to troubleshoot what's going on.

• 2. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
            danielc59994294 Level 1

Hi John, thanks for the response. Your help is much appreciated.

I changed the view options thing to see the capture date/time (which is rather useful) in the label. However, this is what I see every now and then:

2015-08-09 14_11_30-Lightroom.png

For some reason the 9:15 a.m. image is sorted to be between the one at 4 pm (of the river) and the other one (of the car and bear). the dates are correct, but they don't sort correctly. It seems that the date/time used to label the Capture Date/Time is different that the one used to sort.

• 3. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
              It seems that the date/time used to label the Capture Date/Time is different that the one used to sort.

Which version of LR do you have?  Previous versions had this bug in some circumstances, but the most common instances of the bug were fixed in LR 5.

If troubleshoot this, please do one of the following:

- (Preferred) Upload those three pics to Dropbox or similar and post the link here.

- in the right-hand column, open the Metadata pane, selecting the EXIF preset (the dropdown just to the left of "Metadata" at the top of the pane).  For each of those three photos, take a screen shot of the Metadata pane.

This should identify the cause, suggest a workaround, and provide detail for reporting a new bug to Adobe if necessary.

• 4. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
                danielc59994294 Level 1

Hi John, Sorry for the delay in communication. I appreciate your help.

Currently, I'm using Lightroom 5. I was thinking about upgrading to Lightroom 6, but the only feature (atmospheric haze removal) that I'd like to have isn't included unless you get the CC version. The CC version is way too expensive for my needs so I'll just have to wait for Lightroom 7 or change to another piece of software if they only offer the CC version in the future.

I went to the metadata tab and selected "All Possible Items" and went to the Time and Place Sections.

This is the time for the river photo:

This is the time for the dresser photo:

This is the time for the car and bear photo:

The times all look correct. I'm wondering if it is sorting on "Date Time Original" or "Date Time" or something other than "Capture Date/Time" ?  Is it possible to create a filter that looks for any metadata that is not filled out? Like all photos with no "Date" or something?

• 5. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
                  JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

When I lived in Korea, my camera was set to Korea Time.  When traveling to the US, I did not adjust the time zone resulting in some strange capture times.  Just a weird thought; are both your cameras set to the same time zone?

• 6. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
                    danielc59994294 Level 1

Hi Joe,
                    Thanks for helping! In this case, there were two different time zones. The River and the Bear photos were both in Pacific Time Zone, however the middle one was taken with my phone, and currently I was in the mountain time zone. The difference is only an hour. I shifted the River and Bear photos by an hour using the Lightroom tool, which is why there is a difference between the "Date and Time" and the "Date Time Original". Even if that were the issue, the River and Bear photos were taken about 7 hours after the dresser photo.

Is there a way to check the time zone of the date/times? I don't see it in any of the metadata properties.

• 7. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?

For better or worse, LR ignores any time zones that are in the metadata.  What LR displays is what it is supposed to be sorting on.

The middle photo's metadata looks suspicious, with no EXIF date/time fields being displayed.  When LR thinks there is no EXIF capture date metadata (e.g. Date/Time Original), then it gets confused, using other date/time fields as capture time, but not consistently.  This results in photos sorting differently than the date/times shown under their thumbnails in grid view.

If you upload these three pics to Dropbox or similar, or upload three other pics showing the problem, I can put them under the microscope, verify what's going on, suggest a workaround, and, if this is a new bug, file a bug report.

• 8. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
                        danielc59994294 Level 1

Hi John,

Thanks for taking a look at the metadata. I uploaded three photos to this drop box folder:

Dropbox - 2015.10.25 - Sorting In Lightroom

I didn't choose the waterfall one as it was a 70+ mb tiff, but chose the one before that which still shows the sorting issue since it was in the afternoon, but isn't quite so big.

Thanks for helping me out with this!

Daniel

• 9. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?

As I suspected, the middle photo doesn't have a capture time in its metadata, and this confuses LR.   The bug has been around for years and years.  Adobe tried to fix this in LR 5.5 but failed.  

Which tool(s) produced the photo?

The workaround is simple: Select a batch of photos, do Metadata > Edit Capture Time, and click Change All.  This will set make LR's notion of capture time consistent with what is shown under the thumbnails, but it won't change any capture times.   (Nevertheless, make sure you back up your catalog before you do this.)

Which version of LR are you on?  (Do Help > System Info to verify.)  Please add your vote and details of your symptoms to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos.   Every vote will make it a little more likely that Adobe might fix the bug before the next ice age.

• 10. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?
                            danielc59994294 Level 1

Hi John,

Thank you for the workaround. It worked great. Is there a way to create a filter that will show all the files without the capture time so I can find them and fix them? Also, I added another reply to the link you mentioned. Hopefully they will come up with a fix soon!

• 11. Re: Why does sort by capture time not work?

You can select all the files, whether they need fixing or not, and then do Metadata > Edit Capture Time / Adjust All.  It won't hurt the files that don't need fixing.

But if you really want to find just those pics that don't have a consistent capture time in the LR catalog, you could use my Any Filter plugin, with the criterion:

Date/Time Original (Capture) is unknown