• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browser issues with UNIX-like platform--posing as a show-stopper!

New Here ,
Feb 29, 2008 Feb 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While viewing the WebHelp on a UNIX browser, the TOC does not utilise the entire left-hand panel. What it takes is, about 10% of the left-hand panel with a scrollbar. If I expand the TOC, it utilises only that 10% with scrollbar.
As a workaround, I used Java Applet > Pure HTML (instead of DHTML > Java Applet > Pure HTML) in WebHelp options during compilation. This works fine with the browser in UNIX-like platforms. But does not work with IE.

We also cannot have two different WebHelp for UNIX and like, and Windows as another workaround,
This is a show-stopper! :((

Has anyone come across this issue?
Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to visualise this.

Are you saying that of the total width the help occupies, the TOC frame is let's say 20% but the contents of the TOC are only filling 10% of that 20% so that you have a void?

Unix is an operating system, not a browser. If I understand you, viewed with IE you get this problem but not with some other browser, which one?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the left-hand panel, the height available for the complete TOC is about 10% (from top to bottom on the left hand). This is true for Mozilla or Firefox on a UNIX, AIX platforms. IE shows fine. (By UNIX browser, i meant any browser on a UNIX-like platform)
But, if I change the Web options (as mentioned earlier), the problem reverses. That is, the TOC is not visible on IE! With Mozilla on AIX, the TOC occupies full height, from top to bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send me some screenshots via my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I now understand what you are saying. I assume the slide bar you get does allow the user to see all the TOC contents.

This is not something I have seen before and I don't think I have seen it reported. Certainly it is not a problem I see with Unix based servers so I think it must be to do with the variant you are using.

I'm sorry but I cannot offer any solution.

The problem can be seen at http://www.grainge.org/tocproblem.jpg if anyone has some ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Peter, would the RoboHelp packager for AIR be of value here?

Just thinkin out loud... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment it is only available to run on Windows and Mac plaftforms. Linux later so I think the answer is no, at least not right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello panchamee -

Yes, have see that problem on older versions of Firefox in Linux and Windows. I made a hack to the RoboHelp application files but that was years ago and I have forgot which files I modified. If I recall, the problem is due to the nav pane HTML being incorrect (sloppy) and FF didn't like it. It took me a long time to find the several files to change but the changes were simple.

Wish I could remember what files I changed in the RH application directory.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello GEWB,

I wish you had :)

Well, I have figured out a workaround that takes care of the TOC. While generating the WebHelp I chose non-DHTML Navigation pane format, that is, "Java Applet > Pure HTML" OR "Pure HTML". But this makes the input field/textbox disappear in Index and Search!

To hack the JavaScript (whform.js) that contains the form elements, I generated 2 WebHelps. First WebHelp is created using "Java Applet > Pure HTML", while the second is created using "DHTML > Java Applet > Pure HTML".
Then I compared the 2 whform.js files. There are no changes in code!

I have no clue as to where the change lies. I understand the Form elements to be simple HTML. I believe it has nothing to with DHTML effects. Correct me if I am wrong.

-- Panchamee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

panchamee,

whform.js deals with the content, I believe.

For frame setup issues, I'd start with whthost.js in the output file.
Also, whtdthml.htm

Post back if this doen't solve it.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2008 Mar 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the TOC height back to normal!!
See the solution at : http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=rb_71113

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exacty problem with my Web Help on

my Unix platform.  I know it was 2 years ago but what was the fix?  The link that was given does

not exsist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like that page has gone. I did find a forum post referencing it:

javascript:;

It seems to indicate editing the whphost file and making some height 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem when viewing Webhelp through Firefox. Like you, webhelp does not display the left TOC panel 100% and displays scrollbars, even when expanded.  I uninstalled it, upgraded, and did whatever I could to get my file to display the TOC correctly in Firefox. 

On an interesting note, the left panel displayed correctly during a quick test using other computers; I just assumed it was something with my computer.  I currently generate the output as DHTML >  Pure HTML.

I'm sorry I can't give you a solution, other than to acknowledge the same issue still occurs with me  using FF: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/586176 . It displays okay in IE8, not in FF 3.6.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp