• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do i need Quicktime in AE CC 2015 on Windows 10

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do i need Quicktime in AE on Windows 10?

Obvisiously Apple don´t like Quicktime on Windows. Thats why we have an outdated QT 7 version which can´t be installed on Windows 10 without a hack. Only old Quicktime versions with security holes can be installed.

So i tried AE without Quicktime.

I can import mov files and put them in compositions and they are playing well. I also can render mov (quicktime).

Ok the windows player doesn´t play back the rendered movs but pot player does (but upside down?)?

Haven´t tried VLC yet.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have built native importers and exporters for some codecs, but not all. We still rely on QuickTime for some codecs. If your files are working, then you don't need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva schrieb:

We have built native importers and exporters for some codecs, but not all. We still rely on QuickTime for some codecs. If your files are working, then you don't need it.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Is there a list of codecs which only work with Quicktime installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a list or do we have to check every exporter and codec by our self??
Sorry, but i don´t understand this Adobe arrogance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean by Adobe arrogance.

Todd answered your question.

There are hundreds of codecs out there, some with some very odd variations, so a comprehensive list of codecs would be difficult to come by much less which ones work with or without QuickTime. Besides, there are several factors that would determine if a codec would work on a system or not. For example, an MP4 might work without QuickTime or it might not depending on what else you have installed. There are just too many variables to make a list.

That's probably why Todd didn't offer a list; there isn't one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no convenient public list of which codecs we have native importers for. I've asked the documentation folks to compile one.

Also, my original answer was written on my day off while dealing with a family health issue, and I'm just now back in the office to follow up on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look carefully at his question:

"Is there a list of codecs which only work with Quicktime installed?"

He's only asking for a list of the few codecs that require Quicktime. Not all, just those for which he'll need to install something else to get a fuller functionality of AE. It's a very fair question, and something that should be provided. It is arrogant to not provide it, and contemptuous of users, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to install newest quicktime without hack on Windows 10.

Just install Davinci Resolve 12. The Davinci Resolve Installer automatically installs newest Quicktime Version!!!

I don´t know how a free software product is able to do that and Adobe just offers a meaningless failure message? Windows 10 is now a few month on the market and i think 100th or 1000th of users ran into this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, after uninstalling QT player after being told all windows users should remove it because of vulnerabilities, I would have thought the codecs (or just the decoders) would have been included when media encoder was installed. Whatever, installing Resolve fixed it on Windows 10. Now that I have Resolve on my system, maybe it's time to give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines