• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set the thumbnail for a MP4 video output using Premiere Elements 13?

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I set the thumbnail for a MP4 video output using Premiere Elements 13?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MEH2010

Bottom line: I have never found the feature that I think that you are describing as a feature in Premiere Elements.

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements running? And, have you updated Premiere Elements and Elements Organizer 13 to 13.1 using Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.

Where do you want these thumbnails (assumed with first frame of video) to appear - Elements Organizer 13/13.1 and Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor, or in the computer hard drive save location (such as Windows Explorer, now called File Explorer in Windows 8 or 8.1)?

There is no way that I know of to create first frame of video thumbnails for your Premiere Elements exports using Premiere Elements. There used to be a feature in older versions where you could do that for just for thumbnails that appeared within the project.

Please give more details.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found if you move along the timeline and then stop at a video clip this will be used as thumb when you export, theres no actual setting which I have found

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andreww

I cannot confirm your finding in any version of Premiere Elements Windows operating systems - Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. And, I have never seen your finding reported for Premiere Elements Mac.

I've found if you move along the timeline and then stop at a video clip this will be used as thumb when you export,

Consequently, could you please give details of how you obtained this result so that I can try to reproduce it.

Source media

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame size

Frame rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Premiere Elements

Version

Project Settings

Export Settings

Computer

Windows

or

Mac

The closest I can come to what you describe is the Freeze Frame feature of Premiere Elements where you place the Timeline Marker on the Timeline at the frame that you want to grab from a video and then

a. Freeze Frame feature for a bmp still of the selected frame

or

b. Publish+Share/Computer/Image for jpg still of the selected frame

Please review, consider, and then let us see if we can determine the difference between us.

Thank you.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere elements 13 just move the timeline marker to a video clip until it  shows in your preview. Make sure it is a clear image, if you use transitions and the timeline marker is placed between transitions that will be your thumb image so just move it away until you have a   clear image.

Next output to your mp4 setting. When the out put starts it uses the marked timeline image for your thumb image, this works on both Mac and windows

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew

I still cannot reproduce your results regarding user being able to select the first frame display in the thumbnail of the  export .mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive.

I have tried samples from

Nikon D90

MotionJPEG.avi

1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second

Canon EOS 7D

AVCHD.mov

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Export in each case above was Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

I also did another one

Panasonic FZ200

AVCHD.mts

1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second

Export in this case was Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25

No matter where I place the Timeline Indicator in the Timeline content prior to export, the thumbnail image for the file saved to the computer hard drive

a. is not the frame image at which I have placed the Timeline Indicator

b. and the frame image of the file saved to the hard drive can be randomized in that is is not the first frame seen before the export and is not the frame image where the Timeline Indicator was set before export.

Later I will look at this also in Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I have nothing on the Timeline besides the unedited clip.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Andrew's method too but could not reproduce his results. No matter where I left the CTI my video would always pick the first frame as the file picture icon.However, I did find another method.Installed a program called MP3tag. Once you have created your MP4 just use this metdata utility to apply any JPG you want as the "cover photo", save, and your done. Looks like it was originally designed for MP3 tag editing. But it seems to work without a hitch on my MP4s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MEH2010

Thanks for the update. Interesting tip, good information to have. I will give it a try.

Best wishes as you move forward with your projects.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it again tonight and worked fine one thing I may have not mentioned that the video clip must also be selected

Common mistake couldn't understand when I made changes to a clip nothing happen then realised it wasn't selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew

Thanks for following up.

I cannot confirm your findings and conclusions related to export's thumbnail image with or without the Timeline Indicator on the Timeline clip selected during the export to file saved to computer hard drive.

Please let us know if you can think of any other factors that might be explain why MEH2010 and I have not been able to confirm your results and conclusion.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MEH2010 hit it on the head.  You drag the video you want to add a custom cover into mp3Tag, click on the "disk icon" at the bottom, add your jpg or w/e and then hit save.

Thanks MEH2010!  I needed that!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kljhikuh

Thanks for following up the comment of MEH2010 regarding customizing the thumbnail image for a mp4 video.

Where in the steps do you designate the frame that you want as the thumbnail image? I have not looked at this first hand yet?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird I can't "paste" my Prt Sc in to this box.

How to add image/picture to a mp3 file - Mp3tag - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kljhllkuh

Thank you.

I will check it out.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP3Tag worked great! Thank you for the tip! Now all my videos can have thumbnails within Windows Explorer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Re: Canon 7D footage and Premiere Elements 13...imports fine, but looks soft -- I'm not pleased with the results.

The Canon produces MPEG-4 VIDEO...but do I need a specific/better codec for best results? Or can I assume that if it imports to PE ... that's as good as it's going to look? I'm shooting at highest resolution (1920x1080, 30 FPS).

Thanks.

GORDON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines