• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ideal resolution While Exporting from Lightroom CC

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While exporting from Lightroom CC, in the export menu there is "image sizing" menu.

In the image sizing menu, there is resolution option.

My question is what should be the ideal resolution ?

If I increase the resolution (may be 600 pixels per inch), the print size reduces (I checked the print size in Photoshop)

If I decreased the print size (may be 72 pixel per inch), the print size increases.

So what is the ideal resolutions for this image ?

and how will I get the maximum size with maximum quality   (without loosing the quality)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends what you are going to do with the exported image.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I want to print in Maximum size , what could be the ideal resolution ?

Prathap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not print from LR? Then you don't have to export the image, and LR does the resizing if necessary. All you have to do is set up the printer, page size and image size in LR's print module.

Bob Frost 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "good" resolution tends to be 220 or higher for something like an 8x10.

Your image has a size in pixels, 4000x6000 or whatever. This is the size of your image.

When you go to print the image you have a paper size in inches or cm.

Divide the pixels by the inches or cm and you get the printing resolution in DPI.

If that number is too low, the print quality will suffer.

However "too low" depends on how big you are printing and how far away the image will be viewed from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prathap wrote:

While exporting from Lightroom CC, in the export menu there is "image sizing" menu.

In the image sizing menu, there is resolution option.

My question is what should be the ideal resolution ?

If I increase the resolution (may be 600 pixels per inch), the print size reduces (I checked the print size in Photoshop)

If I decreased the print size (may be 72 pixel per inch), the print size increases.

So what is the ideal resolutions for this image ?

and how will I get the maximum size with maximum quality   (without loosing the quality)

All of these calculations of print size are misleading and wrong. Your image can be printed at multiple sizes. If the exported photo is 4000x6000 pixels, you can print it 8x12 in which case it prints at 500 pixels per inch, or you can print it at 4x6 inches which would be 1000 pixels per inch, or you can print it at 10x15 in which case it would be 400 pixels per inch, or you can print it at other sizes (regardless of the number you specify in the export dialog box).

If you are going to print at just about any size (except for extremely large print sizes), you UNcheck the box that says "Resize to Fit", and you get maximum resolution, which produces maximum quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My Photo resolution is 5184*3456 (from Canon 60D - 18 mega pixels)

I am NOT using the option "Resize to Fit" - its always  unchecked.

If I export this image with a resolution of 600 pixels per inch , the print size is 8.64 * 5.76 Inches

And

If I export this image with a resolution of 300 pixels per inch , the print size is 17.28 * 11.52 Inches

and

If I export this image with a resolution of 72 pixels per inch , the print size is 72 * 48 Inches - I think this is the maximum size which can be extracted from this (Simililar to JPEG) . . .Am I right ?

SO as you said when the resolution increases, the print size decreases and vise versa.

I believe 300 pixels per inch is the ideal resolution for printing and 17.28 * 11.52 Inches is the maximum size I can avail without loosing the print quality (correct me if am wrong)

Question number (1)

Is this the maximum print size which can be availed from this camera (while exporting from Lightroom) ? (Any other method to get max print size - maintaining a decent ppi  )

Question number (2)

Is there any option to get maximum print size without compromising on quality (300 pixel per inch) from canon RAW

Question number (3)

If I shot in JPEG mode (that is 72 pixels per inch ) and I am exporting from LR "300 pixels per inch" . . .will this image reconstruct the pixels from 72ppi to 300ppi ? (or is it digitally reconstructing the image?) will it loose or gain quality ?

pls reply

regards

Prathap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prathap,

The resolution of your file is based on the number of pixels in the original Raw file, in you case 5184 x 3456. When you export a file, these pixels almost always need to be either reduced in number or increased, depending on the size and output resolution of the you specify in the export dialog. For example, you choose 8 x 12 inches for your print, and you specify 240 pixels per inch (ppi) the resulting file would have now have 2880 x1920. This is called resampling.

Lightroom does this automatically when you use the print module, and print to your own printer. If you are giving the file to another person to print, then you need to know the optimal ppi needed by that printer as well as the print size. Lightroom will resample the image to give you perfect results.

I work as a professional printer, and can tell with a certain degree of confidence, that this is quite flexible. Files export from your 60d as 14.4 x 21.6 inches if you do not resize them, this is the native resolution of your camera with an output resolution of 240 ppi. However, you will achieve great results exporting as large as 20 x 30 inches as long as the image is sharp and well exposed. Lightroom can upsample your files with little appreciable visible loss of image quality as long as you don't go more than twice the native resolution. For most inkjet printers, 240 ppi is a great output resolution.

Regards, Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thank you for the replies. . .

I do not have a printer and I am always planning to print remotely and planning to keep images in maximum resolution/quality.

So that in future if I want to print images , I can directly take these images and print.

Currently I am uploading in fb and Flickr         https://www.facebook.com/Prathap.Karunakaran.Photography/

You said LR can resample the images. So what will happen if I export the my image from LR with the below setting

Under image sizing menu

resize to fit           -         checked on

width and height   -         60*30 inches

Resolution           -         240 pixel per inch

Here I am forcefully increasing the width and height with maintain 600 ppi.

Will this work ? will the LR resample to this much level/quality ?

pls reply

Prathap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prathap wrote:

You said LR can resample the images. So what will happen if I export the my image from LR with the below setting

Under image sizing menu

resize to fit           -         checked on

width and height   -         60*30 inches

Resolution           -         240 pixel per inch

Here I am forcefully increasing the width and height with maintain 600 ppi.

Will this work ? will the LR resample to this much level/quality ?

This is not correct. You seem to be heading down a path that is unnecessary and will make your image quality worse, because Lightroom will have to interpolate (make up) pixels.

The best export for printing is the UNcheck "Resize to Fit". This requires no change to your pixels, every single pixel in your photo is exported, 1-for-1, pixels do not have to be invented or interpolated or made up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry dj_paige, you give great advice on many Lightroom subjects, but on the print process you are incorrect. Lightroom always resamples an image if you choose to resize on export. Lighroom always resamples an image when you send a file to a printer from the print module.

Printers use a specific screening resolution in order to create an image using the ink set of that system, or the optical properties of a continuous tone printer. If you don not resample when you export a file to be printed at 6x4 inches, then the print driver will resample it instead. A printer can't use a resolution of 864 ppi. There is no way foe the printer to create accurate color if there are not enough ink droplets to reproduce the color of a pixel.

Here is an example: A specific printer has a resolution of 2880 dpi (drops of ink per inch.) You send a file that is 864 ppi to the printer. The printer can only use 3 drops of ink per pixel (2880 / 864 = 3.3) The printer has 4 colors of ink Cyan, Yellow Magenta and Black. You are printing an image of a forrest. There is no green ink in most printers, so it will use both yellow and cyan to reproduce a green color. The printer can use 1 drop of yellow, 1 or 2 drops of cyan, that does not give you many shades of green, in fact you get 3. That is not enough variety to reproduce the colors needed in the image.

So, the print driver will reduce the ppi in your file to create a greater range of green. It will resample your image to do this.

If you export from Lightroom using resample checked, and choose 240 ppi @ 6x4, then the printer will have 12 drops of ink per pixel (2880 / 240 = 12.) This gives you a great variety of potential green values and you get a great print.

The bottom line is you need to ask the person printing your images what to correct output resolution is for their print system. Most ink jet printers work great with 240 ppi (that is why it is a default value in Lightroom.) Other printing systems may use 300 ppi.

I hope this helps.

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry dj_paige, you give great advice on many Lightroom subjects, but on the print process you are incorrect. Lightroom always resamples an image if you choose to resize on export. Lighroom always resamples an image when you send a file to a printer from the print module.

But I wasn't talking about any of this. I was specifically talking about UNchecking "Resize to Fit".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photo resolution is 5184*3456 (from Canon 60D - 18 mega pixels)

I am NOT using the option "Resize to Fit" - its always  unchecked.

If I export this image with a resolution of 600 pixels per inch , the print size is 8.64 * 5.76 Inches

And

If I export this image with a resolution of 300 pixels per inch , the print size is 17.28 * 11.52 Inches

and

If I export this image with a resolution of 72 pixels per inch , the print size is 72 * 48 Inches - I think this is the maximum size which can be extracted from this (Simililar to JPEG) . . .Am I right ?

SO as you said when the resolution increases, the print size decreases and vise versa.

No that's not what I said. I said ... paraphrasing ... the meaningless calculations done in the software decreases when you increase the resolution. The print size does not change. Your 5184*3456 photo can be printed at any size you want. Your photo can be printed a 6x4, which is 864 pixels per inch; or the exact same photo can be printed at 12x8, which is 432 pixels per inch, and it can be printed at any other size you want ... regardless of the resolution number you select when you export and regardless of the number of inches in this meaningless calculation in your software. The pixels remain the same, not a pixel changes when you change the meaningless resolution number, and so you have the exact same photo, regardless of what the resolution number is.

I believe 300 pixels per inch is the ideal resolution for printing and 17.28 * 11.52 Inches is the maximum size I can avail without loosing the print quality (correct me if am wrong)

Question number (1)

Is this the maximum print size which can be availed from this camera (while exporting from Lightroom) ? (Any other method to get max print size - maintaining a decent ppi  )

Question number (2)

Is there any option to get maximum print size without compromising on quality (300 pixel per inch) from canon RAW

Question number (3)

If I shot in JPEG mode (that is 72 pixels per inch ) and I am exporting from LR "300 pixels per inch" . . .will this image reconstruct the pixels from 72ppi to 300ppi ? (or is it digitally reconstructing the image?) will it loose or gain quality ?

There is no real maximum print size, although as you go bigger and bigger, the quality will decrease.

The option to get maximum print quality is to UNcheck "Resize to Fit" when you export.

JPG mode is not 72 pixels per inch, there is no such thing as inches for digital photos (only for printed photos). Your third question: when you export with "resize to Fit" UNchecked, if you had 5184x3456 pixels before the export, you get 5184x3456 after the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prathap wrote:

For most printers 300 ppi (Epson printers 360 ppi) is the "optimum resolution" to obtain maximum print detail when viewed at close distance. This would include any prints or print albums viewed handheld, such as 4" x 6" up to 8" x 12".

prathap wrote:

Is this the maximum print size which can be availed from this camera (while exporting from Lightroom) ?

The actual image file ppi can be much lower depending on the "viewing distance." Photo enlargements that will be hung on a wall and viewed at a distance of about five feet require 115 ppi resolution image files. For your Canon 60D image files (5184 x 3456) you could print up to a 45" x 30" enlargement and still have a print that would look good at a "normal" viewing distance. People view paintings and large prints at a distance where they can see the whole image. ERGO: The larger the print the greater the viewing distance. There are of course exceptions such as aerial surveillance photos, but that's a whole different subject matter!

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/print_viewing_distance.html

My first DSLR was a 6 Megapixel Canon 300D with 18-5mm kit lens. 16" x 24" prints made from its 3072 x 2048 (128 ppi) raw image files are sharp when viewed as close as three feet. The camera JPEG files wouldn't fare quite as well at this size of enlargement.

For 11" x 17" and larger prints use the full-size 5184 x 3456 Output file (i.e. no Resize). Most printers do a very good job of upscaling the image file if required and applying the appropriate Output Sharpening for the target paper. For smaller prints you can resize the images to 300 ppi (Epson printer 360 ppi) to reduce the file size and apply the appropriate Output Sharpening (Glossy, Matte) to insure good results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like your answer but want to clarify something.  My current Light Room Image Sizing is: Resize To Fit box is unchecked and in the Resolution box I have 500 pixels per inch.  Is this good for just about any size including 8"x12"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zzaabcdkjasdf wrote:

I like your answer but want to clarify something. My current Light Room Image Sizing is: Resize To Fit box is unchecked and in the Resolution box I have 500 pixels per inch. Is this good for just about any size including 8"x12"?

If you are not resizing the image, the PPI number is meaningless.

The only time the PPI number is meaningful is when you are printing, and the first thing the printer is going to do is discard your number and recalculate it in most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you edit 360 image using LR? if so, what is the best way to exported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exported resolution is meaningless with digital images. Irregardless of whether you have the resolution set to 300 PPI or 72 PPI or 600 PPI, the image still has the same number of pixels. You can set the printer resolution, but that is DPI (dots per inch) and it isn't related in any way to the resolution of the image. You can set the export resolution to 1 PPI or 600 PPI and order an 8 x 10" print from either file, and quality of the print will be precisely the same in either case.

As an example, if you want to print an 8 x 10" image at 300 PPI you need to have a file that has 2400 x 3000 pixels. It doesn't matter what the PPI setting is. If you print an 8 x 10" print it will be printed at 300 PPI, Simple math. The DPI setting on the printer controls how many dots of ink are printed per inch, and can affect the quality of the print. But the PPI setting in the image file has no effect on the quality of the print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like it's time to revisit this thread. In the original post from Prathap he is asking what's the optimum resolution for printing at maximum size. The key component of this question is printing, and when you're printing the output resolution is not irrelevant, in fact it's very important.

Print drivers have a fixed resolution at which they convert pixel information into the screened pattern of dots used to print the image. If you're using an Epson printer, and you are printing through the operating system (not using a RIP) then the resolution needed when you export from Lightroom is 360 ppi. That matches the native resolution the Epson driver will use. At any other resolution, the print driver will resample your image to 360 ppi. It's far better to let Lightroom resample the image than to let the operating system and the print driver resample the image.  A higher resolution than 360 ppi is completely useless for printing as the image will be resampled down via the print driver.

Another alternative is to use RIP software such as Imageprint. These type of programs bypass the operating system printing pipeline and use their own proprietary screening algorithms. In this scenario the resolution needed is more flexible. I typically export from Lightroom using 240 ppi when printing using Imageprint.

When a file is being output specifically for print, then you need to turn on the Resize to Fit checkbox and use the absolute values needed for the print, that being size and resolution. If you do not set the correct values here, then the print driver will alter your data accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I read and re-read this thread numerous times and while I found it extremely helpful, it was also confusing as different contributors seemed to be saying conflicting things.  And they were all Adobe experts (ACP's)!  Jim Hess and dj_paige were insistent that changing the ppi does not affect the size or quality of the image; while Brad Polt Jones was equally insistent that it does.  What I finally figured out was that Jim and dj_paige meant that if you do not check Resize to Fit, the Resolution (PPI) is irrelevant.  You can export the image for printing and your printer will ask you the format you want to print in (4x6, 5x7 etc.) and you'll get a print based on the native resolution of your image, giving you the maximum quality based purely on the dpi setting of your printer.  In this case if you DON'T check Resize to Fit you can enter any value in the PPI field and it will have no bearing whatsoever on the quality of your print. 

However, as Brad says, if you check Resize to Fit then you can export an image intended to be of a certain print size and with a specific resolution.  In this instance PPI will affect the quality of your image because if you put in a low PPI in relation to the image size it will presumably give you a soft, ill-defined image.  I think this is all correct, and if not, would appreciate hearing back.

So my question is, my printer (Epson XP830) always wants to know the format of my image (size and number of images per page) when I print.  I don't know if it allows you to customize (just bought it and haven't gotten that far yet) but let's say it doesn't.  Would there be any reason for me to ever check "Resize to Fit" or should I always leave this box unchecked and export?  Even better yet, why would I do this and not just print from LR using the Print module?  Of these 2 options, isn't printing from LR superior because it will do a better job of interpolating the ppi and image size when I print to my printer?  Is there a reason to check Resize to Fit and export to a jpg other than needing a digital file that can be posted online?

Thanks,

Barton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines