Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GoDaddy vs BC Hosting?

Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transfering a URL from GoDaddy to Business Catalyst

Based on the thread above, I want to know the pros and cons of hosting an existing domain with GoDaddy versus BC. I currently have a Creative Cloud for Teams subscription. I am a videographer and do streaming video. My wife is setting up a stone jewelry online store (if the subject matter means anything)

My domain box-office.vegas is from GoDaddy and currently administered in BC. I plan to add one or two more sites to my business and maybe provide for others. Is it better cost-wise and feature-wise to choose GoDaddy or BC?

TOPICS
eCommerce , Email marketing , Marketplace , Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Hey there,

Firstly I think there are a few confusions in what your asking that need to be cleared up.

Domain:

BC does not offer domains, nor what you think your managing in terms of domain is quite correct. A domain will need to be with a domain registra, some companies like goDaddy offer that and more like hosting but you can just have a domain and connect that to BC.

With BC you can point an A-record - Web traffic only and handle the domain control either at the domain level (the domain registra a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Firstly I think there are a few confusions in what your asking that need to be cleared up.

Domain:

BC does not offer domains, nor what you think your managing in terms of domain is quite correct. A domain will need to be with a domain registra, some companies like goDaddy offer that and more like hosting but you can just have a domain and connect that to BC.

With BC you can point an A-record - Web traffic only and handle the domain control either at the domain level (the domain registra and the best place really to do most things (closer to the root the better) ) OR you do some setup and control in BC.

You can point all traffic like emails etc through the NS records into BC and set a few things up in BC to handle that BUT you do not have the options as you would with a proper domain controller. BC is not a domain hosting company.

This leads to...

Hosting:

BC is not a hosting company and what you have on BC is not hosting as your thinking like godaddy.

When BC refer's to it's hosting it is in the context of an all in one solution. BC is a SAAS = Software as a solution. This means that it has hosting but in the form to offer the web services and the CMS it has.

BC is .net based and you have NO access to the server side coding, you do not have cpanel controls, you can not partition up folder space for different projects, there is no Apache, htaccess you can not put wordpress on it etc. It is not that kind of hosting. Yes you can have emails but a context of the company/website leading to an online business solution for that site/company.

If your new to Creative Cloud you no longer get 5 free sites in BC and if you had it before that change it is improtant to know that those sites are the very basic BC offering with much of the features locked out.

While BC is an awesome solution because it is all in one and great for a business offering created by an agency for their clients it is not something you can use as a traditional host like godaddy for things like general FTP storage, API solutions, Video etc.

BC in terms of it's storage, pricing etc in that regard is very expensive compared to what you get in Godaddy, but then the point is that they are very different.

BC does not equal Godady, it is like comparing an Apple with a Banana.

BC is a solution for a business online solution, it is not hosting.

If you want an great CMS and solution for an online business with a great website - Go BC, if you want hosting where you store video, do some other projects, app solutions, a few websites and things like that then a more traditional hosting is what you need.

The thread you link for example and the title is not correct. You can not and do not transfer a domain URL to BC, as I pointed it does not host domains (yet). Your pointing a domain to BC.

So if you have a BC website you still need a domain with another company to handle that side of things.

I hope all this helps clear a few things up, you need to decice what you want to do, hosting solutions can be very cheap these days so you very well may go for a BC site and have that working, a domain registra that offers emails and some storage and have them all work to how you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for that explanation Liam. I wish I could say I understand it all, but it's a start. It sounds to me that going with GoDaddy, which is where I obtained the domain, might be the most cost-effective and easier setup. I also have Microsoft Office 365 Business with Azure and Creative Cloud for Teams. GoDaddy is setup to work with Office 365. I don't know about Azure, or what that is, but I have it as well.

So, currently, my domain and website made with Muse points to the BC nameservers for management. I was not aware that the 5 free websites were no longer offered. Email is provided by GoDaddy. Either way, it would seem less complicated to stay within GoDaddy for all my needs. I am looking at a cloud storage solution for video and other assets to sell to clients. I also want to provide embedding of my media onto client websites and Social Media as well as my own online site for Live and On-Demand video streams. All these things I have yet to learn how to do. I have looked into video streaming providers like Wowza and a JW Player for the player interface and monetization, but how clueless I am is staggering

I have not yet stored anything or delivered anything to clients. Mainly because i have no idea how to do that at this point. As a videographer, i have moved on from delivering DVDs to online video formats, but i need a way to automate the process. I would like to set up an FTP storage accessible to clients, but again I have no idea how to set it up. I only know production and editing and uploading to YouTube, Facebook, etc. none of which is making any revenue.

I guess I am immobilized by lack of knowledge and don't know where to start. I would say yours is the Correct Answer, but then I am still not understanding the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

join the club

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines