• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2015 won't preview in real time after El Capitan update.

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Has anyone experienced the following issue and found a solution for it?

Right after Update to El Capitan 10.11 the After Effects 2015 stopped ram previewing in real time.

No matter what i do it won’t work.

I have a latest MAC Pro 2.7 GHz 12-Core with 64GB ram.

The AE 2014 still works though.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Everybody who is having this issue please install the latest update: After Effects CC (November 2017) Bug-Fix Update Is Now Available that is supposed to finally close this thread for good! please report if this issue has been resolved.

if you can't see the update yet, wait a while until you see it. try relaunching Creative Cloud app by typing Ctrl+Alt+R. I see it.

this update is 14.0.1 and is a bug fix for many disturbing issues especially for Mac users. it does not fix all the bugs that are new

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 362 Replies 362
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is this happens with the simple text or solid layers or is specific to any project(s)?

Have you tried renaming Adobe folders? if not, please do and check.

Make sure all the Adobe apps are closed.

Go to Documents and rename Adobe folder as old_Adobe (Do not delete folder as they contains your customized settings)

Go to User>Username>Library>Application Support and rename Adobe folder (User LIbrary is hidden so Click on Go menu in finder and hold opt key)

Go to User>Username>Library>Prefernces and do the same.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!! you are a life saver!

Renaming worked!

YEY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so i jumped the gun on this one. It seem to solve the issue at first but the problem came back after i added some effects to the footage. In particular, but not limited to, Roto Brush. It seems like there is no way to ram preview in the project for it to play real time. Even at Quarter resolution the payback is still at ~14fps and the sound is choppy.

This seems to be only happening with 2015 edition with El Capitan

2014 AE works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing to add. I noticed that the rendered (green) section would play fine after i restart the AE but as soon as I try to render more of it or something else the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

Is After Effects holding the cache frames means do you see the green line if you switch sequence after caching the frames or it dissappears?

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it does.

overall AE seems to be preforming the same way as before.

All green but just won't play back realtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

Do you have any fonts added from TypeKit or any third party fonts that you installed?

What is in your comp/project(s). If possible post a screenshot of the comp(s) and the project BIN.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing from TypeKit, but i do have a bunch of third party fonts.  not using them in this project though.

Here is some video and screen shots of a problem:

Hardly anything here other then video:

Dropbox - another_playback.mp4

Simple Text animation:

Dropbox - AE_issue.mp4

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 1.39.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 1.44.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 1.45.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 1.45.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 1.45.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 1.45.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please uncheck Enable Mercury Transmit in Preferences/Video previews and check if it makes a difference.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not.

Is it possible that it's somehow Metal related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

No it is not related to Metal.

Also, do you have any third party plugins installed on your machine.

Go to MAC HD or startup drive>Library>Application Support>Adobe>common>Plugins>7.0>MediaCore.

If yes, move all of them to desktop and make MediaCore empty.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, That seems like it fixed the issue.. i think.

So now i guess i have to reinstall all the third party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

Good to hear that.

Yes, update the plugins and make sure that all are compatible with the new 10.11 update.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aaahhhhhh!!!! it's happening again! #$%#$%#$%

Ok so here is what was happening. I think i finally figured out what is causing it.

Every time i would trash the preffs The After Effects would open on the single screen and would work fine. As soon as i go dual screen, the issue comes back.

So i tested it without even shutting anything down or restarting... switching between dual screen and single screen does the trick.

So what can cause this issue?? I cannot use 2 screens with AE 2015 in 10.11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

Yes that is true that is why I asked you to turn off Mercury Transmit.

Please check the link below for more details.

El Capitan breaks Mercury Transmit

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah but turning it off does not fix the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just uncheck the option "Disable video output when in the background." in Prefernces>Video Previews and it will be fixed.

We have already reported the issue to the concerned team.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELLO , I have problem with not RealTime (FPS) How fix this ?

My PC Specs :

CPU : Intel Core i7 5820K

GPU : MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LED 3000 MHZ 32GB DDR4

Motherboard : MSI X99A Gaming 9 ACK

SSD : Corsair 480G LE

not realtime.PNG

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to report that I'm having the same problems. I'm operating in 720p and I'm using low res comp footage. I have an audio track. About the only thing I've done beyond fade up and fade down is for part of my piece I have use a "screen" blending mode on a layer...but the choking happens all throughout....and even if I've cached the frames....

I tried all the renaming...I also purged everything before and previewed from scratch...I cached the frames and still can't get it to run smooth at full rez.

I can get it 99% there at half rez but thats pretty ridiculous...I've done far more complex work, pre-El Capitan at full res with no problem....

What's specifically troubling is the inability to simply play back cached frames....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can report the same problem.

Tried all kinds of fixes, included the ones above, but to no avail. It seems really apparent when working with audio within comps. I've also noticed it's worse when you have keyframes and audio waveform data visible on the timeline. It seems as though the UI is hampering RAM preview performance.

Be great to have a fix to this asap.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually found this to be working on the latest version of Yosemite too, so the problem doesn't appear to be isolated to El Capitan. Perhaps it's a new bug introduced with the latest update of Ae?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pinpointed the issue for me. It would seem that having the playhead slider visible whilst previewing makes everything slow down. If I pick a place to preview from, move across the timeline so the slider isn't visible, ram preview works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pinpointed the issue for me. It would seem that having the playhead slider visible whilst previewing makes everything slow down. If I pick a place to preview from, move across the timeline so the slider isn't visible, ram preview works fine.

Yes!! After all those other replies, this was it!

This is the weirdest bug I have ever seen... now I just have to move the view of my timeline to a place where the it ISN'T playing, then it plays just fine..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines