• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firefox Plugins displays FP 18 & 19 after updating to FP 19

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is slightly different though. I installed Flash Player 19 and Flash Player 18 has been removed from the Control Panel Programs. In the Firefox plugins, however, there are both 18 and 19, and when I check the plugins, it tells me that it needs updating. Is there any way to remove 18?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Bingo! I clicked Options (next to Shockwave Flash 18) and saw that the name of the file is NPSWF32_18_0_0_232.dll. I searched my system and found that the file is located inside the folder C:\\Users\<myname>\AppData\Local\Hola\firefox\app\flash\, together with the files:

flashplayer.xtp

plugin.vch

Hola is a Firefox add-on I have. I've already replaced the NPSWF32_18... with the NPSWF32_19... file that I found in the macromedia folder, and the problem has been solved. Now I am wondering whether I sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emf202,

I branched your post to a new thread as your issue is different from the topic in the thread you posted to.

Was Firefox open when you upgraded from 18 to 19?

Have you rebooted your system since you updated from 18 to 19?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Was Firefox open when you upgraded from 18 to 19?

I think so. If I remember well, during installation it asked me to close FF, and I did.

> Have you rebooted your system since you updated from 18 to 19?

Yes. Actually I also tried uninstalling Flash from the Windows Control Panel 19 Programs, but it uninstalled only 19, and reinstalled it again. I've been thinking to uninstall it again, then find and install Flash 18 and uninstall it from the Control Panel and then install Flash 19 again. Do you think it will work? If yes,where can I find Flash 18?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emf202,

It's possible the version 18 files are not being removed from the system and Firefox is loading the older version instead of the newer version.  This should not happen as the installer removes older versions of the files.  Please do the following:

1. Launch Firefox
  2. In the address field type: about:plugins
  3. Search for 'Shockwave Flash'
  4. Take a screenshot (see How to post a screenshot in the forum) of the details (File, Path, Version, etc)
  5. Post the screenshot in your reply.

What is the OS Version (including if 32 or 64-bit) and Firefox version installed on your system?

The standalone installer will remove any version of Flash Player that's not being removed as expected.  After capturing the screenshot, do the following:

1. Download the uninstaller from Uninstall Flash Player | Windows
  2. Make sure all programs that may use Flash Player are closed
  3. Run the uninstaller.
  4. Download the installer from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.
  5. Reboot the system
  6. Make sure all programs that may use Flash Player are closed
  7. Run the installer.

At this point only FP 19 should be installed on the system.  Launch Firefox and navigate to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html.  Click the 'Check Now' widget and verify version 19.0.0.226 is installed.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt reply. Here is the screenshot of the plugins:

plugins.gif

As you see, the Flash 18 entry is there though inactive, since it's set to Ask to Activate and it never asks me.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, and Firefox 41.0.2.

I downloaded and run the uninstaller, but it uninstalled only Flash 19.

I clicked Update Now for Flash 18 and got a page saying "Flash Player Plugin 18.0,0.204 to 18.0,0.232 (click to play) has been blocked for your protection." (https://blocklist.addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p1026)

I run the installer and the situations is as before.

The Help page says "Congratulations, your computer has the latest Flash Player installed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emf202,

I suspect you updated Flash while Firefox was open and playing Flash content. In this scenario, the file(s) that are in use cannot be deleted and remain on the system until the system is rebooted.  However, for some reason, Firefox is loading the previous version instead of the new version.  Rebooting the system well delete the files for the previous version, or you can manually delete them from the following location:

• 32-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
  • 64-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

The version number is included in the file name so you can safely delete the files that have an older version name.

Some background:

In the past, Flash Player installation forced users to close the browser during installation (including an upgrade2.  Due to extensive user feedback the behaviour was changed (in June) to not require users to shut the browser during upgrade (re-install of same version still requires a browser shutdown).  We performed extensive testing prior to making this change and did not encounter the situation you are describing.  You're the second individual to report this on the forums (that I'm aware of) and I was able to reproduce one scenario where Firefox loads the previous version instead of the new version, although, not consistently.  We haven't changed anything in this behavior since this change was made.  Firefox releases new versions every 6 weeks and it's possible something changed on their end.  We are investigating further to determine the root cause, and implement a fix, if necessary.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... In the directory C:\\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\ there are no Flash 18 files! The 9 files there are:

FlashInstall.log

Flashplayer.xpt

FlashPlayerPlugin_19_0_0_226.exe

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

FlashUtil32_19_0_0_226_Plugin.exe

mms.cfg

NPSWF32_19_0_0_226.dll

plugin.vch

I doubt that I was watching a video when I updated. Normally I stop what I am doing until an update is completed... Also I do not think that FF uses the old version: As you see in the gif, version 18 is set to "Ask to activate" (the option "Always activate" is grayed out) and when playing a video I am never asked to activate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emf202,

Unfortunately, the Firefox plug-ins page doesn't show the entire path to the plugin location, but the only location that it is saved to is the \windows\system32\macromed\flash (on 32-bit OS) directory, and based on your previously reply the file is not present.  I'm not sure where Firefox is picking up the old version from.  You can try performing a clean install:

1. Using Firefox, download the installer from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
  2. Download the current uninstaller
  3. Close all browser windows and run the uninstaller
  4. Delete all remaining files and folders located in the following directories.  (tip: copy and paste these paths into the path bar in an Explorer window)
    • C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash - delete all files except for mms.cfg and FlashInstall.log
    • %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
    • %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player
  5. Verify that the files “FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl”, "FlashPlayerApp.exe", and "FlashPlayerInstaller.exe" in C:\Windows\system32\  have been deleted.
    • Note that you may not see the .exe suffix on FlashPlayerApp.exe and FlashPlayerInstaller.exe, depending on your Explorer settings.
  6. Reboot the system
  7. Located the downloaded installer and double-click it to launch the installer
  8. Follow the dialog prompts to install Flash Player

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo! I clicked Options (next to Shockwave Flash 18) and saw that the name of the file is NPSWF32_18_0_0_232.dll. I searched my system and found that the file is located inside the folder C:\\Users\<myname>\AppData\Local\Hola\firefox\app\flash\, together with the files:

flashplayer.xtp

plugin.vch

Hola is a Firefox add-on I have. I've already replaced the NPSWF32_18... with the NPSWF32_19... file that I found in the macromedia folder, and the problem has been solved. Now I am wondering whether I should also replace Hola with an alternative extension...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi emf202,

Thank you for this additional information.  I'm not familiar with that extension but will download it and do some testing with it.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines