• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble playing Captivate Flash videos in published Presenter file

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2008 Feb 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting very frustrating. I can't find anyone else, either in the Captivate forum or the Presenter forum, that has this same issue. I'm using a combination of Captivate (for screen captures) and Presenter. I've published the Captivate files in Flash 7 format, then I use Insert-Flash in Powerpoint from the Adobe Presenter menu. When Captivate publishes to flash, there are multiple .swf files generated. I've tried the one with "_skin" and the one without. The document with "_skin" in the name didn't work at all after publishing. The other one works, but there are points in the video where the screen just goes blank. I've looked everywhere for a solution to this, I'm getting desperate ! At first I thought it had something to do with Flash versions, I had 6 on my computer... so I upgraded to the latest version. I tried publishing the Captivate file as version 7 and 9, neither worked. Surely someone else has had this issue?
TOPICS
Presenter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2008 Feb 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue when I upgraded to Flash Player 9. I had to roll back to Flash Player 8,0,34,0 to fix the problem.

You don't need the _skin file if you are inserting in Presenter - in Captivate publish to Flash Player 7 and uncheck Export HTML in the publishing settings. Also, in Project>Skin uncheck Show Playback Controls and uncheck Show Borders. That should prevent the extra _skin file from being published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2008 Mar 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hey guys!

I think I know what's going on regarding the problem that rizakag is experiencing. The version of the captivate swf files is NOT the source of the problem (ex: 7,8, ect), although the "_skin.swf", as suepha mentions, needs to be completely eliminated. Having the option to go back to Captivate 2 wouldn't hurt either. I don't have that option however.

So here's what I think is going on:

When capturing screens, Captivate "listens" to changes in the Windows environment; mouse clicks, keypresses...and unfortunately... mouse movement!. The second you begin to click and drag with your mouse, Captivate goes into "full motion recording" by default. This is critical because as a result, you end up with a bunch of extra "_Fullmotion#.swf" files once you publish your session. The problem, to make matters worse, is that when you add a flash file using Presenter's Insert--Flash function, the inserted animation can no longer "communicate" with the other swfs that were created during Captivate's publishing process. That problem usually results in "blank spots" during the playback of a Captivate movie where the full motion recordings should have appeared.

So here's where I'm at with all of this, and what I'm trying to do to overcome the problem:

1. As soon as you publish your PowerPoint deck using the Presenter plugin, go to the data directory; from there, open up the resourcesfolder. Within that folder, what you need to do is copy/paste all the "_Fullmotion#.swf" files from the published Captivate project.

Why? Because of the way that publishing works in Presenter. Each swf file you employ using the Insert--Flash method ultimately results in swfs that are stored in the resources directory of a published deck. And since Captivate uses dynamic loading to launch the FMR's at run-time, having everything in the same location means that the "base" swf file will be able to accurately call, and load, the FMR's appropriately. As an example of this, I set up a real quick project here:

http://www.robrode.com/Breeze_demos/FMR/

However, this assumes that you have the ability to publish your Presenter content locally to your computer. And even IF you had to publish to a Connect server, you could always publish locally first, add the full motion recordings into the resources directory, then zip the entire course and post on Connect or some other LMS for deployment.

The drawback: every time you publish, you're going to need to copy/paste the FMR's back into the resources directory.

2. After speaking with Silke Fleischer, Product Manager for Captivate, what we were able to determine is that you can take the full motion recordings and insert them into your Captivate project as flash objects (afterall, they're swfs!!!)...but just make sure that you insert the FMR swfs on new, blank slides. Then go back and delete any slide that has the camera icon (which denotes where the full motion recordings took place to begin with). If you republish, again without borders, you'll end up with one swf that can be incorporated into PowerPoint using the Presenter plugin.

The drawback: What I noticed after using this method is that there was a very brief "flash" of white at the beginning of every FMR. I recently attempted to use a static screen shot of the interface, and used that screen shot as a background image for the entire project. It looked better...only to the degree that I no longer had flashes of white, BUT now the movie had more "jump cuts" as the swf progressed from one slide to another in the Captivate movie. Tolerable up to a point, but then again, it'll depend on what kind of screen capturing you're doing and how much clicking and dragging is necessary.

That said, a couple other things to keep in mind:

1. set up your environment as best you can to reduce the amount of FMRs that would result from the recording process. Pre-sizing windows as they are needed will go a long way to controlling how much movement needs to happen.
2. Remember that Captivate records captures based on screen changes. When it comes to things like scrollbars, an easy method to reduce FMR's is to NOT scroll with the mouse, but rather click inside the scrollbar's trackbar to force your window to scroll up or down. Also in that same vein is to use keyboard strokes when possible. Example: rather than click/drag to select a word (let's say you need to change or edit text), try using Shift with your Arrow keys, or hold down the Shift key and left click with the mouse to select a word or words.

Rob
visit my new Presenter forum at:
http://www.robrode.com/yabb/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources