17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2008 1:05 PM by englishrarerecords RSS

Test for flv support in FL3.

[0] Community Member

This is a FL3 question but this is the closest forum I could find to post this question.

Seems not all new FL3 phones support flv. How do we test for support?

System.capabilities.videoMIMETypes does not do it.

TIA

Art
        • 1. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
          KDDI_iMode_Softbank Community Member
          dont know which country you are in, but Japan doesnt have the flv ability.
          • 2. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
            [0] Community Member
            " Japan doesnt have the flv ability"

That is the problem. We can not rely on flvs playing globaly. If flv implementation is not global, how do we detect flv capability?

- A
            • 3. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
              mucatron Community Member
              Hi,

The simplest way to find out is to use Adobe Device Central. Check your target devices before producing content. In the device profiles for each device, in the flash tab, there is a section dedicated to Flash Video support.

Currently devices shipping in Japan with FL3.0 support do not support Flash Video. OEMs and operators have the right to remove this capability.
              • 4. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                Paul Lamonby Community Member
                Mark, its a valid question by Art. It seems 'System.capabilities.videoMIMETypes' does not support .flv, so it would be a good feature request for the next update to include testing for .flv support on the fly.

Art, There is no response from the device when .flv is not supported, so at this stage, there is no way to test if it supports .flv or not. I have discovered a 'very loose' workaround that may or may not help you:

After you start the netStream.play(), you can check for netStream.time or netStream.currentFps. If the device doesnt support .flv, netStream.time never goes above 1 second and netStream.currentFps never goes above 0. So all you need to do is check if these cases are true, to decide what to do instead, e.g. show a message to the user informing them .flv is not supported.

Hope this helps.
                • 5. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                  adobegator Community Member
                  only few latest phone support FLV3.
                  i am also wondering , where i can test this support. any manual or support available.
                  • 6. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                    chsajid11 Community Member
                    yes right Japan doesnt have the flv ability. i am also looking for answer of this question. but still now find any answer. i did google, but no quality answer. any one please answer in detail.
                    • 7. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                      johngfcare Community Member
                      why to use fl3. i am not sure about this.
                      • 8. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                        sunwer Community Member
                        You can use the System.capabilities.videoMIMETypes array determine what video formats a device supports.
                        – trace(System.capabilities.videoMIMETypes);
                        Returns an array with the video capabilities of the
                        mobile phone
                        – System.capabilities.videoMIMETypes["video/3gpp"]);
                        – System.capabilities.videoMIMETypes["video/mp4"]);
                        – System.capabilities.videoMIMETypes["video/mov"]);
                        • 9. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                          Solnas Community Member
                          Awesome, I was planning on writing something like this, looks like I don’t need to!
                          • 10. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                            CHAOS'|nc. Community Member
                            Hi there Paul,

Is there a list where there are the phones listed which supports FL3? I know that nokia s60 9.2 devices do but what bout the 9.1 devices? Is there a way to incorporate Flash Lite 3 there on those phones?
                            • 11. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                              Paul Lamonby Community Member
                              Hi Chaos,

There is a list of supported devices HERE:

quote:

The Flash Lite 3 Developer Edition has only been certified by Adobe on the Nokia N95 (non-US 3G version). Technically it should work on any Nokia S60 3rd edition or later devices. Adobe has not certified Flash Lite 3 Developer Edition on any other Nokia S60 3rd edition devices and cannot guarantee that the player will work on them. Other Nokia S60 3rd edition or newer models include: 3250, 5500 Sport, 5700, 6110 Navigator, 6120 Classic, 6121 Classic, 6290, E50, E51, E60, E61, E61i, E62, E65, E70, E90, N71, N73, N73 Music Edition, N75, N76, N77, N80, N80 IE, N81, N81 8GB, N82, N91, N91 8GB, N92, N93, N93i, N95, N95 US 3G, N95 8GB.

There is also a list of the newer devices HERE

Regards
                              • 12. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                                Phillipz Community Member
                                Paul, thanks! I search this hardly
                                • 13. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                                  EuropeWord Community Member
                                  They do have now. This forum is interesting but out of date.
                                  • 14. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                                    uberlol
                                    Nice, I was just about to start a new thread when I saw this.
                                    • 15. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                                      sunwer Community Member
                                      Good post. It was really helpful for me.
                                      • 16. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                                        CHAOS'|nc. Community Member
                                        Awesomeish! Thanks a lot Paul. I'll certainly promote it further if I can!!

On a side note,

I'm a regular reader of Alessandro's blogs. I checked out the tutorial that he wrote and was wondering if I can design a simple rss reader. I downloaded the sample there, replaced the location of the feed address and uploaded it accordingly on the server but it just didn't work for me which is quite strange. I tried it in E61 and N95 8gb but me and my luck ran out. Lol. I designed using the 240x320 profile of DC. Is it a flash lite compatibility issue that I'm over looking or am I doing things completely wrong? Also I use feedburner on the blog, or in other words the feed is forwarded to feedburner for better outlook and rich content, can this be the issue since I'm uploading the file to my server when the feed is actually forwarded to somewhere else namely Feedburner?

I'm totally new in this so any help from anyone will be much appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by: Paul Lamonby
                                        Hi Chaos,

There is a list of supported devices HERE:

quote:

The Flash Lite 3 Developer Edition has only been certified by Adobe on the Nokia N95 (non-US 3G version). Technically it should work on any Nokia S60 3rd edition or later devices. Adobe has not certified Flash Lite 3 Developer Edition on any other Nokia S60 3rd edition devices and cannot guarantee that the player will work on them. Other Nokia S60 3rd edition or newer models include: 3250, 5500 Sport, 5700, 6110 Navigator, 6120 Classic, 6121 Classic, 6290, E50, E51, E60, E61, E61i, E62, E65, E70, E90, N71, N73, N73 Music Edition, N75, N76, N77, N80, N80 IE, N81, N81 8GB, N82, N91, N91 8GB, N92, N93, N93i, N95, N95 US 3G, N95 8GB.

There is also a list of the newer devices HERE

Regards

• 17. Re: Test for flv support in FL3.
                                          englishrarerecords
                                          Hey, very useful information, thanks for sharing