Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking multiple projects - difference between linking project or linking file

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2008 Mar 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,
I am wanting to load these projects over top of each other in a level similar to the way Flash does it. When I create the button I tell it to load a project. The project that it loads has its own html file and loads a new page. Is there a way around this where it will load the other project overtop of the current Captivate swf in the same html page?

Thanks,
Dennis
TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis and welcome to our community

Are you wanting the project to open in a new browser window? If so, use the "Open URL or file" option and just type the HTML file name of the other project. Then make sure you choose to open in a new browser instance by clicking the drop-down arrow to the right of where you typed the link.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I want one parent html page to load the initial Captivate Intro, then click on the nav buttons I've built in and have each project load in a layer overtop or swapped with the Intro Cap file. So far it is loading new html pages per project.

The goal is one html page only with the Cap. swf's swapping or loading above each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

If I'm understanding you correctly, instead of loading "on top of" (which to me, meant that you want another HTML page open just above, leaving the original still open) you simply wish to replace the existing page, no? If that's what you want, a simple link to the file name of the HTML page presenting the movie should suffice.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Rick, I guess I am not explaining myself properly.
I just want to swap the swf's. I want to have only one html page for this entire project. So I've sorta got it figured out with load file. The "Intro" swf loads.. a video of a fellow talking commences..and there are 4 buttons that link to different Cap projects along the bottom. I want to load those projects in the same html page.

Thank you for your help. I am glad I found this resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might actually have a potential solution.

I have run into the same issue. So my main html page is like the wrapper around my captivate. I have a drop-down menu on the main html page.

Right in the middle of this wrapper page, I have an Iframe, which loads each swf file. When it is viewed by the customer is looks seemless to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2008 Mar 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to reduce my overall project delivery size by breaking it into smaller cp projects (.swf and .htm exports) and linking them using the Open URL option. I have added a click box and used the Open URL option, using the absolute path to the next cp project .htm file, however, the link does not open when the box is clicked. Please let me know what I am doing wrong that the link is not loading. I have selected "current" for the file to load into the existing browser window.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2008 Apr 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: rebeccabara
I am trying to reduce my overall project delivery size by breaking it into smaller cp projects (.swf and .htm exports) and linking them using the Open URL option. I have added a click box and used the Open URL option, using the absolute path to the next cp project .htm file, however, the link does not open when the box is clicked. Please let me know what I am doing wrong that the link is not loading. I have selected "current" for the file to load into the existing browser window.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I am having this same issue. The Open URL does nothing if I specify to open the URL in the current page. The Open URL function works if I want to open in a new window. However, I want to have a single window open at a time as I am also trying to link projects together rather than having a huge swf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rebeccabara and renkenbl and welcome to our community

If all you are wanting to do is display the output of another Captivate file, try using the "Open other project" action instead. What you do with this is to point at the .CP file of the other project and choose it. I know it sounds weird. It sounds like your end user would be trying to open Captivate (which they likely won't have) but it should work fine and the other project output should display.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Follow up:
I was able to resolve the issue by using the "Open other project" function, putting all of the projects published files into the primary published project folder, and by uploading the files to a server. For some reason this feature does not work locally.

Please Note: I did not find this method to help my file size/bandwidth challenges. The separate swfs took way too long to download, fragmenting the training content (30 second to a minute between swfs). I found that having the one long initial download was better. However, I am looking for a solution that will prompt the next swf in the sequence to download while the first one is playing. Please let me know if there is anyway to make that happen without opening on top of the active swf. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources