• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 2015 - Analytics/Reporting/Feedback

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What options are available for Robohelp 2015 (responsive HTML5) analytics/reporting and user feedback? Robohelp Server apparently isn't an option. I have considered Google Analytics, but judging by another post based on Robohelp 7, it wasn't a good option. I don't know if that has changed with Adobe's newest product, however. For user feedback, I have looked at embedding Wufoo feedback forms. They work, but it looks like I would need to create a separate form for each page. That would certainly turn into a major headache. I'm hoping Rh 2015 has these features built-in and I am somehow overlooking them. I doubt that is the case with the amount of research I have been doing, though. Any tips, tricks, and advice is greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

No articles, though this thread outlines it: Using Google Analytics in large robohelp project

Basically, you retrieve the tracking code from Google. You then add this code to the header/footer of your master page and you're good to go. Alternatively, you can open the .slp file of the skin and add the tracking code there. Google offers good instructions that should help you get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Analytics works great with RoboHelp. But any analytics tool that you can embed in HTML can be embedded in RoboHelp. Which one you like depends on your preferences. Personally, I like Google Analytics as it is free, easy to set up and can track search terms if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, William. Do you know of any articles you could direct me to that could help me set this up or is it pretty self explanatory once you get into?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No articles, though this thread outlines it: Using Google Analytics in large robohelp project

Basically, you retrieve the tracking code from Google. You then add this code to the header/footer of your master page and you're good to go. Alternatively, you can open the .slp file of the skin and add the tracking code there. Google offers good instructions that should help you get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I'm doing something wrong. I added the code to the header of the master page and applied it to all topics, but the code does not show in the other topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 2015 - Responsive HTML5

I'm also having the same issue with the master page. Then I tried adding the GA code to the topic.slp and then imported a new .slz and it still only went on to the index page. None of my topics got the GA code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I added to the topic.slp:

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="favorites.css" type="text/css" />

<script>

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i=i||function(){

(i.q=i.q||[]).push(arguments)},i.l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),

m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)

})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-6978######', 'auto');

ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

</head>

<body class="hide-children loading" data-rhwidget="Basic" data-class="media-desktop: KEY_SCREEN_DESKTOP; media-landscape: KEY_SCREEN_TABLET; media-mobile: KEY_SCREEN_PHONE; ios: KEY_SCREEN_IOS" data-controller="ModernLayoutController: mc; JsLoadingController" data-attr="dir:KEY_DIR">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

burnettejacobHSUSA‌ Does any other content in the header/footer make it to the topics in the output?

mikel96873636‌: I believe this is an oversight of mine. Since RH now uses iFrames for the topics, editing the index.slp won't work. Can you try adding the code in the master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is what I have in my Master Page

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<meta name="topic-comment" content="" />

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 2015" />

<title>Google Anayltics</title>

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="CREABranding_TrainingDocuments_2015Oct.css"

type="text/css" />

<script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[

ga('create', 'UA-697#######', 'auto');

ga('send', 'pageview');

//]]></script>

</head>

<body>

<p>&#160;</p>

<?rh-region_start type="body" ?>

<p>This is Body Placeholder text for your Master Page. Topics created

using this Master Page will get this text by default. Replace text

of this Body Placeholder with your default content for topics.</p>

<p>&#160;</p>

<p>Area outside this Body Placeholder represents the layout of the

Master Page which will not be shown in the associated topics but will

be present in the output. The Body Placeholder content will be replaced

by actual topic content in the output.</p>

<p>&#160;</p>

<p>Use Master Page to define the layout of your topic in the output.</p>

<?rh-region_end type="body" ?>

<p>&#160;</p>

</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add a footer to the master page through the editor. (Button in the right top.)

Then paste the code from the <head> into the footer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added it to the footer and it worked. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is it after "<head>" and before "</head>" in the code? Or do I paste it into the actual master page header and footer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried adding it before the </head> and in the footer but the code wouldn't get added the the index page. It did get added to all the topic pages. So I also added the code the topic.slp and it's now on the index and topic pages.

Not sure if your familiar with editing page layouts but I highly recommend you use 7-Zip after you change the extension from .slz to .zip. Winzip would give me errors when trying to unzip the file.

Here is what I added to the topic.slp

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="favorites.css" type="text/css" />

<script>

ga('create', 'UA-69#########', 'auto');

ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

</head>

<body class="hide-children loading" data-rhwidget="Basic" data-class="media-desktop: KEY_SCREEN_DESKTOP; media-landscape: KEY_SCREEN_TABLET; media-mobile: KEY_SCREEN_PHONE; ios: KEY_SCREEN_IOS" data-controller="ModernLayoutController: mc; JsLoadingController" data-attr="dir:KEY_DIR">

Here is what my master page code looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<meta name="topic-comment" content="" />

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 2015" />

<title>Google Anayltics</title>

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="CREABranding_TrainingDocuments_2015Oct.css"

type="text/css" />

</head>

<body>

<?rh-region_start type="body" ?>

<?rh-region_end type="body" ?>

<?rh-region_start type="footer" style="width: 100%; position: relative;" ?>

<script type="text/javascript">(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i=i||function(){

ga('create', 'UA-69########', 'auto');

ga('send', 'pageview');</script>

<?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>

</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not familiar with editing page layouts. I did try to open the slp file with 7-zip, but it immediately closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just open the .slp file in Notepad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your not familiar with editing the layouts you can ignore the 7-zip comment.

Open up the Output Setup pod > Expand screen layout your using > Open the Topic (Default) file > Add the Google Analytics code before </head> > Save and Generate.

output.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't mean to hijack the thread--okay maybe a little-- but I'm curious, is it possible to use google analytics in a chm output?

I know chm usually resides on the user's computer, and so is not a remote based help system like a web-based one, but the innards are .htm topics that can run .js scriptsIf a user's machine has access to the internet would it be possible to track what pages users are visiting etc using google analytics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jared Google Analytics works with help on a server. CHMs cannot sit on a server but even if they were, they are not web accessible so I cannot see how they analytics would work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp